Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gestation Length no longer on ICBF active bull list

• 15-03-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

The gestation length is missing off the latest ICBF active bull list. It's still available when you enter an AI code of a bull in the search box.

Now if they are serious about a 365day calving interval surely this is an important piece of information. Maybe the Limousin society have some influence?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

just do it wrote: »
    The gestation length is missing off the latest ICBF active bull list. It's still available when you enter an AI code of a bull in the search box.

Now if they are serious about a 365day calving interval surely this is an important piece of information. Maybe the Limousin society have some influence?!

click into the calving traits section and its in the second last table on that page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

i would question how accurate this could be going forward-ie 20years time

if you to continue to use bulls say -8days in theory gestation in the future will be 200- days

dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

stanflt wrote: »
    i would question how accurate this could be going forward-ie 20years time

if you to continue to use bulls say -8days in theory gestation in the future will be 200- days

I'm not sure about the above but what it does allow you to do is pick a bull for your late cows with a shorter gestation period in comparison to the others. For example I've a second calver LMX cow that produces a quality calf but had a gestation length of 300d last year and is now 4 days over due this year and no sign yet. 2 different bulls by the way. Now that I know she has a long gestation period if I want to get a calf a year out of her for 10 years I'm going to have a bull with a short gestation period as a criteria in selection.

limo_100 wrote: »
    click into the calving traits section and its in the second last table on that page

This is fine but it means you've to do this for each individual bull. Having all the data for all bulls on one excel allows you to sort them all according to each individual criteria.

Another fault of the active bull excel is it has far less bulls on there than the original excels ICBF used to publish. For example HCA is munster AI's replacement for FL22 as an easy calving LM for heifers. He's not on the active list.

Here is the active bull list I'm talking about by the way. It's available here and is the "Current" beef bull list.

I've 2 excels saved from 2009 that were called "Allbull_SBVstars_date".

***Breaking news***. I've found the more comprehensive listings here! The Eurostar Proofs is the one I'm talking about. The little things that makes an excel nerds day:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Limo_100

Good data on the allbull list on "GROW Linear Score Individual Traits" such as "height at withers". Scroll over to the right, it's in column DV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I really don't know where it's all going to end with gestation length.
    Way too many cows going nearer and nearer 300 days.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I really don't know where it's all going to end with gestation length.
    Way too many cows going nearer and nearer 300 days.

alot of them are easily passing that on a yearly basis.

just do it wrote: »
    Limo_100

Good data on the allbull list on "GROW Linear Score Individual Traits" such as "height at withers". Scroll over to the right, it's in column DV.

good man just looking for something like that I must give it a good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's the Limousin breeding that's messing up the Gestation length. If you have say 3/4 Lim breeding on the cow side of things and then use a Lim bull aswell, you're getting it from both sides. I find using a BB Ai bull on the late calvers really helps things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Was glancing at this thread...I didnt realise Limousin had a longer gestation period on avg...is it much longer than say Charolais on average?

Was glancing at this thread...I didnt realise Limousin had a longer gestation period on avg...is it much longer than say Charolais on average?

Good question. I did a quick analysis on the active bull list as the data reliability tends to be better and it's grand for getting averages. So I averaged the scores by breed and then matched that to the ranges for stars across breeds.

Results:
    5* AA, BB, HE
    4* AU, SH, SA, PT
    3* SP, SI, CH
    1* LM, BA (:eek:)

Of course individual bulls will vary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

These are the average gestation figures for Dec 2011, from ICBF.
    So over 4 days betwwen BB and Limousin.

Belgian Blue -0.19
    Angus 0
    Aubrac 0.75
    Saler 0.75
    Partenaise 0.8
    Hereford 0.95
    Shorthorn 1.0
    Piemontese 1.06
    Commercial Cows 1.52
    Simmental 2.21
    Charolais 2.25