Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Spoken to him on a few occasions,
    Fixed the pavements near my house Ruined the Internet:)
    Legend :P

FYP. ;)

Yeah, hopefuly the announcements will be over and done with in some sort of a reasonable timeframe tonight. Was far too dragged out last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I will like to see how many people casted a vote today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Jester252 wrote: »

i'm expecting it to be down on last year.

this will favior the incumbents and known candadates ,

it's been a very poor week for campains anyway with paddys day over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Jester252 wrote: »

over 1k by noon apparently.

Take god there is some bit of atmosphere around today.
    Been so quiet all week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

1169 as of a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

leaoj wrote: »
    sure there was no obligation on you to attend the stables announcement...

Out of respect for my campaign team and the other candidates, I believe there was an obligation for myself to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Spoken to him on a few occasions,
    Fixed the pavements near my house :)
    Legend :P

So you won't vote in student elections because you feel you're not well-enough informed of the candidates' respective policies, but you'll vote in a national election for someone who can, and most definitely has, affected change in something we all use?

All because he fixed pavements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Tonight. 8:30 in the Stables.

Gotta love internet voting! :P
    Why the fcuk can't they do it for general elections I don't know. Would save millions, and would save even more if they hadn't bought those electronic yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

Voted online. I am enjoying the 'low-key' natureof this year's proceedings. I was on Co-Op last year and missed a dragon apparently :(

• Advertisement

Decryptor wrote: »
    Why the fcuk can't they do it for general elections I don't know. Would save millions, and would save even more if they hadn't bought those electronic yokes.

Probably security and scale reasons. I mean, organising a system for 12000 people to vote (of which only ~1/3 will actually vote) for a position, which let's face it, isn't exactly US President, is nothing compared to something for ~3million people who's votes will actually make some semblance of difference. AFAIK most countries still use the 'ole pen and paper. Must be a reason for it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Nockz wrote: »
    Voted online. I am enjoying the 'low-key' natureof this year's proceedings. I was on Co-Op last year and missed a dragon apparently :(

It was a Unicorn actually;)

Nockz wrote: »

I think it was a Horse :-)

Interesting straw poll done by TST, among 44 voters in half an hour:

image001.pngimage002.png

image003.pngimage004.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Any updated one?
    Within the last hour?

lkionm wrote: »
    Any updated one?
    Within the last hour?

Nothing I've heard about. Campus is quiet now in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Interesting straw poll done by TST, among 44 voters in half an hour:

image001.pngimage002.png

image003.pngimage004.png

Fair play, nice thing to see, would have liked this about 9 with improvements during the day, maybe even a survey a couple of days ago?

Had an interesting conversation with a student there. Complete and utter disgrace that while David Hartery was addressing a class, Adam (or at least part of his team) came into the lecture, chicken suit guy ran around while someone/others shouting vote Moursy. It's a joke, no respect whatsoever, in all honesty I *HOPE* it lost the Moursy campaign a lot of the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Hi Reunion,

You're dead right. The poll would have been loads better if I could have been out and about all day updating it. The only reason it wasn't was because I have a tonne of college work to do this week as do the rest of the TST gang.

Thanks for the kind words though,

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

Had an interesting conversation with a student there. Complete and utter disgrace that while David Hartery was addressing a class, Adam (or at least part of his team) came into the lecture, chicken suit guy ran around while someone/others shouting vote Moursy. It's a joke, no respect whatsoever, in all honesty I *HOPE* it lost the Moursy campaign a lot of the vote.

I'm surprised that Hartery had his head out of his hole long enough to notice.

Oxford_ wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Hartery had his head out of his hole long enough to notice.

Witty. Regardless, nothing condones what happened.

• Advertisement

Witty. Regardless, nothing condones what happened.

When did it happen?

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    Hi Reunion,

You're dead right. The poll would have been loads better if I could have been out and about all day updating it. The only reason it wasn't was because I have a tonne of college work to do this week as do the rest of the TST gang.

Thanks for the kind words though,

Stephen

Maybe an idea for next year!

Speaking of which, I'm surprised there isn't a poll here on boards!

On a side note, you guys in TST have done quite a lot for the union in the past year, coming up with new ideas: the videos, polls and live blogging of things. I hope you guys have put yourselves forward for some awards

When did it happen?

Didn't actually get that much info, it was in passing, I was on a break from my lit review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How many voted?

Agus sin sin!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Well who won? Very quiet week for campaigning, nearly forget it was happening at all!

2,200 or around that I think for the number of voters.

Results announced at 8:30pm in the stables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Suspense is killing me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

Rockett took Education

Ronan took Welfare

• Advertisement

Moursy took President

Congratulations to all candidates, especially those who won. Interesting times ahead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Absolutly delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

wahey all me three first choice:D

congrats to paddy cathal and adam

comiserations to eamonn, david, will, kelly and jackie

Poor Kelly, Beaten by 5 votes, thats gota hurt.

Poor Kelly, Beaten by 5 votes,

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Boards will probably go quiet now until there's an explosion of abuse at one of the newly elected officers because they held a door open for a lady and are being accused of being sexist.....

Probably....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Boards will probably go quiet now until there's an explosion of abuse at one of the newly elected officers because they held a door open for a lady and are being accused of being sexist.....

Probably....

I'm going to miss the traditional "Daly is a Fianna Failer" thread personally:D

Probably....

I hear you are running for education next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

None of those Oxford posts are anything to do with me. Kelly my heart goes out to you.

Breakdowns are

Academic:
    Valid Poll: 2133, Quota 1069
    Paddy Rockett 1173
    Jacqueline Woods 960

Welfare
    Valid Poll 2211 Quota 1106
    William Jennings 336
    Kelly O'Brien 949
    Cathal Ronan 926

After Jennings' transfers
    Kelly O'Brien 1085
    Cathal Ronan 1090

President
    Valid Poll 2355, Quota 1178
    David Hartery 702
    Eamonn Horgan 529
    Adam Moursy 1124

After transfers
    David Hartery 920
    Adam Moursy 1322

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Wow! For only 3 positions there's a large difference in votes cast for each position.

What was the total number students who logged on and cast a vote?

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Wow! For only 3 positions there's a large difference in votes cast for each position.

What was the total number students who logged on and cast a vote?

Surprised at how big a margin Moursey won by... but I think the right candidate may have won this.

Rockett's win was no surprise. Better campaign, more confident, more experience.

Sickeningly close for Welfare. Really surprised that Jennings' transfers went to Ronan to be honest. Thought for sure Kelly had it when he was being eliminated. C'est la vie I guess.

Didn't quite catch the figures for previous years, how does it compare? I know there were ~3800 votes last year, but is 2355 the lowest for some time? Disappointing turnout but hardly surprising given the level of apathy around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Sabbats this year have a big mess to clean up after this year.

Getting the SU reconnected with the entire student body should be top of the agenda

a 20% turn-out for an online poll is nothing short of embarrassing and a clear indication that the majority of the student body are disconnected from the SU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Surprised at how big a margin Moursey won by... but I think the right candidate may have won this.

Rockett's win was no surprise. Better campaign, more confident, more experience.

Sickeningly close for Welfare. Really surprised that Jennings' transfers went to Ronan to be honest. Thought for sure Kelly had it when he was being eliminated. C'est la vie I guess.

Didn't quite catch the figures for previous years, how does it compare? I know there were ~3800 votes last year, but is 2355 the lowest for some time? Disappointing turnout but hardly surprising given the level of apathy around the place.
    na it was lower than 2355 in previous years down to around 1800 some years

Yeah, just looking at the figures now.

Lower than 2011 and 2010, but up on all years before that except '03 when the boathouse referendum was held. I'd say tis the lowest online poll though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

So everyone who logged in to vote voted for president?
    Yeah, just looking at the figures now.

Lower than 2011 and 2010, but up on all years before that except '03 when the boathouse referendum was held. I'd say tis the lowest online poll though?

You have to remember that online voting, which was introduced last year, increases the potential turn out. So the turn out this year is considerably worse than a similar turnout when voting was by paper ballot.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    So everyone who logged in to vote voted for president?

Yes, interestingly enough

I'm finding Kelly's hissy fit on facebook quite humorous.

2132149458_1ba7c571c2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement