Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic Help

• 15-03-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Okay, so I have everything for the essay itself written and corrected, so that's all fine and dandy. However, my teacher started going through the other parts of the project with us today (ie. source evaluation etc) and I'm a little confused. He showed us the booklet itself that we'll have to fill in, and I noticed the section for evaluation of sources is only one page. I'm sure that's fine for those who have used the minimum of 3 sources for the project, but I on the otherhand have cited at least 7 sources in my essay. I'm a little worried about how I can evaluate them in such a limited space, and I can't necessarily remove any of my sources either. Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

We are also doing this part of the RSR at the moment, an like you, I'm a bit confused!

Our teacher told us that 3 sources are sufficient in the Evaluation of sources section.

I'm confused about the review at the end of the extended essay. Does anyone know if the c.250 words recommended is included with the overall 1200-1500 word count?

This looks helpful; link b...

http://www.scoilnet.ie/hist/article_topic.aspx?id=2138&nav=false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Yeah I noticed there isn't a page for that by itself :/ I really hope not, my essay is well over the limit as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Yeah I noticed there isn't a page for that by itself :/ I really hope not, my essay is well over the limit as it is!

So's mine, about 1700 words but I can cut it down a bit to about 1620.

I was chuffed with mine, editing it is painful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pike in the Thatch

Word count doesnt matter. When I did mine a number of years ago I contacted the dept who told me that students editing skills as well as word count aren't actually part of the marking scheme or graded. Just dont take the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

No one's ever been penalised for word count yet. The review does count in the extended essay word count, and you're only supposed to evaluate 3 sources but can list as many as you like. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I only mentioned two books out of the 7 or 8 I used, and one website out of dozens, in my outline plan and essay. Maybe just pick out the 3 or 4 main ones and remove the citations of the rest from your essay? Especially if more than one of them is a website. Trying to evaluate seven sources on less than an A4 page isn't ideal tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Okay - some points to clarify

1. You can use as many sources as you want - but you evaluate three sources (two for OL). One of the sources should be from a recognised historian. You will need to give references for the extra sources in the extended essay but you do not have to evaluate them

2. The word limit does not apply to the outline plan or evaluation of sources - you have one page for each.

3. The word count does matter - some students were writing long extended essays so the examiners have been instructed to tighten up significantly on the word count - the 1500 words is flexible, but only to a small degree. You will be penalised for significantly exceeding the word count. Same rules will apply when you go to third-level.

4. The 'Review of Process' is part of the extended essay and is part of the word count. You should leave 150-200 words for the 'Review'. So the extended essay should be about 1300-1350 words and the Review the remainding 150-200.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to reiterate that word count does matter.
    'Select and reject' is a major skill in writing History essays.

spurious wrote: »
    Just to reiterate that word count does matter.
    'Select and reject' is a major skill in writing History essays.
    True, but so far no one has ever been penalised over it according to my history teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Patchy~ wrote: »
    True, but so far no one has ever been penalised over it according to my history teacher.
    As far as your history teacher knows - the examiners have been instructed to tighten up significantly on the word count over the past two years - 1500 words including the review give or taske a small margin.

• Advertisement

As far as your history teacher knows - the examiners have been instructed to tighten up significantly on the word count over the past two years - 1500 words including the review give or taske a small margin.
    Well he didnt mean in his classes specifically - he said he always told them to keep to 1500 words and then he went to an inservice day where he was told that they hadnt penalised anyone. But yeah, they could always start and you dont wanna be caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Advertisement