Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

android and apple apps

Options
  • 15-03-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, is anyone here able to make a budget / free android & Iphone app for a small promotions company as a new means for market research.

The idea is to have a free app for people to be able to download off the company's website and it will inform them of gigs that have just been anounced as well as having a calender function with reminders for gigs that they have said they want to attend that are coming up in the next two weeks.

Can anyone who can help or knows someone or a student able to assist me in this please Pm me,

Thanks

Mods, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to mobile applications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Just to bring an air of reality to this thread, have a read of this;

http://appmuse.com/appmusing/how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-a-mobile-app/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

goblin59 wrote: »
    Hey guys, is anyone here able to make a budget / free android & Iphone app for a small promotions company as a new means for market research.
    You're going to find it nigh impossible to find someone to do both an Android and iPhone app for free or pocket money.

For students there's very little benefit to do any app for a third party simply for the CV; they're actually as well, or even better, off simply doing one for themselves, especially as they will not only retain IP, but also any potential revenue.

For anyone professional, working for free is not a realistic option. Sweat equity, perhaps but you'd have to convince them of the value of that equity first.

Of course, you might be able to get someone to develop for you at a good price, but that really depends on your budget; and unless you're talking four figures anyway, you're just not at the races, even with someone running a fire-sale on their services.

However, two things you can look at are either to have it developed as a Web-based application (essentially a mobile Web site) and/or outsource it to the developing World. The former because it is cheaper to resource and of the latter, sites such as eLance may allow you to find someone who'll do it for you for between 10 and 20 USD p.hr.

Bare in mind that getting an app on the Apple/Google app stores is another thing again and also has (minor) costs associated. Marketing your app is yet another thing that you will need to plan and budget for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

You're going to find it nigh impossible to find someone to do both an Android and iPhone app for free or pocket money.

For students there's very little benefit to do any app for a third party simply for the CV; they're actually as well, or even better, off simply doing one for themselves, especially as they will not only retain IP, but also any potential revenue.

For anyone professional, working for free is not a realistic option. Sweat equity, perhaps but you'd have to convince them of the value of that equity first.

Of course, you might be able to get someone to develop for you at a good price, but that really depends on your budget; and unless you're talking four figures anyway, you're just not at the races, even with someone running a fire-sale on their services.

However, two things you can look at are either to have it developed as a Web-based application (essentially a mobile Web site) and/or outsource it to the developing World. The former because it is cheaper to resource and of the latter, sites such as eLance may allow you to find someone who'll do it for you for between 10 and 20 USD p.hr.

Bare in mind that getting an app on the Apple/Google app stores is another thing again and also has (minor) costs associated. Marketing your app is yet another thing that you will need to plan and budget for.

ok cheers for that.

By the sounds of it, an app isnt going to be a viable option then as a replacement for fliers.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

goblin59 wrote: »
    ok cheers for that.

By the sounds of it, an app isnt going to be a viable option then as a replacement for fliers.

Thanks everyone.

not as good as the big apps but andromo lets you make free apps for android. www.andromo.com. its really easy to use. made a few myself and have no idea how to code :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

deadly, cheers man. I'll give that a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

multimate wrote: »
    not as good as the big apps but andromo lets you make free apps for android. www.andromo.com. its really easy to use. made a few myself and have no idea how to code :P
    Interesting platform, but it may not be sufficient for the OP. To begin with it's Android only and the OP seeking development for both Android and iPhone. Secondly, the app (if developed for free, otherwise you pay $99 per app) will display advertising banners, which is where they make their money. Most disturbingly is that you don't actually own your app, they do; you are only granted non-exclusive rights to it. You do however retain ownership of the content. Something to consider.

The other thing is that it may be a little limited in what you can do. Looking at some of their showcases, their complexity is often quite limited. This I suspect is because Andromo is really a hybrid-app platform, designed more as a content management system than a fully functional framework. According to Andromo:
    The existence of App Inventor was one of the reasons we didn't make Andromo more complicated. It didn't make sense to offer another generic Android programming tool, so we decided to make something aimed more at content producers -- something that would be as easy to use as Blogger or Wordpress, but still capable of generating native Android apps. I think there's still a lot of work for us to do, but the feedback we're getting is really positive so far.

I can understand this approach as it would cover the needs of many simple apps out there, but you're going to hit the limit of what you can do with it very quickly, if you're looking for something more.

So looking at the brief description that the OP gave for the app, two limitations may become an issue. The first, as I already touched on, is that it is Android only. The second is that functionality such as "having a calender function with reminders for gigs that they have said they want to attend that are coming up in the next two weeks" is likely outside of Andromo's capabilities.

If the OP is willing to compromise on these though, it might well fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Hi Goblin59,
    I might be able to build a low-cost App for you. It won't be for free but I should be able to keep the costs down if you're interested in having a chat? I've already built Android and iPhone Apps which I might be able to show you examples of. Please PM me for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamesie Byrne

Hi, I am looking to develop some fairly basic apps on android and iPhone and would like to chat , how do we get in touch, Im new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Maybe you dont need an APP....why not just develop a website that's responsive to device / screen size so it can be easily used on a mobile/tablet...can be done with CSS and you might find someone to do it for free?>??

• Advertisement
Advertisement