Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Killer takes a hike, from an open prison!

• 15-03-2012 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0315/mcdermottm.html
    Garda killer Martin Mc Dermott who recieved a 7 year sentence last July has escaped from loughan house , an open prison in Co.Cavan.
    This piece of work was sentenced less than a year ago and already he was in an open prison!
    Well at least the government and the prison service have their priorities right, tough on cop killers.....

not!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Why do they call them 'open prisons'?

Dosshouses is what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

controversial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

As if to confirm that he is even more of a thick headed scumbag the filthy coward does a runner. Probably bawling his eyes out in some bush.
    Hope he rots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

cocoshovel wrote: »
    As if to confirm that he is even more of a thick headed scumbag the filthy coward does a runner. Probably bawling his eyes out in some bush.
    Hope he rots.

i doubt that somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

lividduck wrote: »
    Garda killer Martin Mcdermott who received a 7 year sentence last July has escaped from loughan house , an open prison in Co.Cavan.
    This piece of work was sentenced less than a year ago and already he was in an open prison!
    Well at least the government and the prison service have their priorities right, tough on cop killers.....

not!

Ridiculous having him in an open prison like loughan house he should have been in maximum security as he was lucky enough just to get 7 years for killing the Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

91 previous convictions, a 20 yr driving ban he kills a gaurd gets only 7 yrs in a open prison! Jesus irish justice sucks. why wasn't this mentioned on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Up to 1990 you got the death penalty ( capital offence) for the unlawful killing of a law or prison officer. Unbelievable that this filth was in an open prison so soon, hope the guards have a nice surprise waiting for him when they haul his useless ass back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

Open season? *loads shotgun* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Don't you lay a finger on that boy's head. That young man probably just needs some hugs and a confidence building holiday in the Maldives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) Awaits the entrance of the garlic mans sentence :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

baldbear wrote: »
    91 previous convictions, a 20 yr driving ban he kills a gaurd gets only 7 yrs in a open prison!

Probably because they don't have enough spaces in proper prisons, and boy racer here wasn't seen to be as much of a threat as violent offenders. Would say they'll have fun with him if/when he's caught...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Don't you lay a finger on that boy's head. That young man probably just needs some hugs and a confidence building holiday in the Maldives.

I agree but I think he should contribute towards the flight costs. If he doesn't have any money then it should come out of his future salary or benefits. I would also add that in the current financial climate, Maldives seems a bit extravagant and one of the Canary islands would be more appropriate.

He should also get a warning about what will happen if he does it again.(escape)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

realies wrote: »
    :) Awaits the entrance of the garlic mans sentence :D

I was waiting for it, guess you won the prize....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Garda killer Martin Mc Dermott who recieved a 7 year sentence last July has escaped from loughan house , an open prison in Co.Cavan.

not!

Please tell me the garlic swindler isnt at large?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

benway wrote: »
    Would say they'll have fun with him if/when he's caught...

What are you implying about our fine law enforcement people?

That guy's known to be very clumsy and is likely to fall (several times) while being arrested....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Please tell me the garlic swindler isnt at large?

No, he ain't going anywhere.... Panic over....:pac:

benway wrote: »
    91 previous convictions, a 20 yr driving ban he kills a gaurd gets only 7 yrs in a open prison!

Probably because they don't have enough spaces in proper prisons, and boy racer here wasn't seen to be as much of a threat as violent offenders. Would say they'll have fun with him if/when he's caught...

I hope they dont have fun with him their a professional force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Well lets just hope he didn't drive off, after all he got a driving ban for mowing down some busybody Garda who got in the way of his fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Up to 1990 you got the death penalty ( capital offence) for the unlawful killing of a law or prison officer. Unbelievable that this filth was in an open prison so soon, hope the guards have a nice surprise waiting for him when they haul his useless ass back in.

Why would you get a worse sentence for killing a guard? Are they better than normal people?

Why would you get a worse sentence for killing a guard? Are they better than normal people?

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Because when a garda got killed they were usually doing something like facing down armed IRA scumbags or trying to stop joyriders in stolen cars. How often do 'normal' people do that?

prinz wrote: »
    Because when a garda got killed they were usually doing something like facing down armed IRA scumbags or trying to stop joyriders in stolen cars. How often do 'normal' people do that?

How often to normal people pin murders on people on lads who live in Donegal or Cork? Take your reverence somewhere else.

How often to normal people pin murders on people on lads who live in Donegal or Cork? Take your reverence somewhere else.

That's some good axe grinding there boss. Take it somewhere else perhaps?

I'm just saying that reverence for an organisation that's helped cover up child sex abuse and has pinned murders on innocent people twice in recent years deserves little or no respect. And certainly not elevation above normal people dying. Someone be killed is sad and wrong, no matter who it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Nice to see someone thinks that because some guards are cnuts this guards killer should get a medal. perhaps you could answer me a question thats been bugging me....what is a trolls favourite colour?

I'm just saying that reverence for an organisation that's helped cover up child sex abuse and has pinned murders on innocent people twice in recent years deserves little or no respect. And certainly not elevation above normal people dying. Someone be killed is sad and wrong, no matter who it is.

You are confusing reverence and something that was on the books back in the 1980's.

That's some good axe grinding there boss. Take it somewhere else perhaps?

Sorry but hes right your confusing what some do with what their all supossed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

91 previous convictions, a 20 yr driving ban he kills a gaurd gets only 7 yrs in a open prison! Jesus irish justice sucks. why wasn't this mentioned on the news?

91 previous convictions!? You are kidding, right?

Nice to see someone thinks that because some guards are cnuts this guards killer should get a medal. perhaps you could answer me a question thats been bugging me....what is a trolls favourite colour?

Can you point out where saying a gaurds life isnt worth more than mine or yours equates to this guy should get a medal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In the laws eyes a guard killed in active duty was considered the victim of a capital murder. It was a provision made at the time the original death penalty was abolished.

You are confusing reverence and something that was on the books back in the 1980's.

Actually the child abuse covered up was the last few years hence my lack of unconditional respect

Actually the child abuse covered up was the last few years hence my lack of unconditional respect

Oh I bet it was.

Oh I bet it was.

Ill put up a link when Im back chief.

It's funny you only mention child abuse after somebody else does. Although what child abuse has to do with this thread is beyond me.. apart from the fact that a couple of posters are using it soapbox their anti-AGS rubbish.

It's funny you only mention child abuse after somebody else does. Although what child abuse has to do with this thread is beyond me.. apart from the fact that a couple of posters are using it soapbox their anti-AGS rubbish.

Read through my previous posts especially those in state benifits prinz. I work part time with a charity for abuse victims. Its not something new to me.

Im not unconditionally slating the gaurds just pointing out that praise dependent on the individual would be better suited than unconditional praise.

• Advertisement

Im not unconditionally slating the gaurds just pointing out that praise dependent on the individual would be better suited than unconditional praise.

Having the murder of a garda a capital crime decades ago had nothing to do with unconditional praise. It was a method to try and protect unarmed gardaí who many times were the first responders to armed bank raids at the time. Very straightforward.

Having the murder of a garda a capital crime decades ago had nothing to do with unconditional praise. It was a method to try and protect unarmed gardaí who many times were the first responders to armed bank raids at the time. Very straightforward.

I agree we have moved on from those days though. A man by accounts a good man was killed by a scumbag thats the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Can't believe this has turned into Garda bashing. Jeez some ignorant people on this island. Am disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well lets hope they contacted the PSNI first. With the boarder about a 10 minute walk away, he's well over it.

cursai wrote: »
    Can't believe this has turned into Garda bashing. Jeez some ignorant people on this island. Am disgusted.

Im not gaurd bashing Im sorry if it came across as such. I am disgusted at this scumbag going free. What more can I say. I complained about his sentence then and I will now.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Well lets hope they contacted the PSNI first. With the boarder about a 10 minute walk away, he's well over it.

Hopefully the judge involved takes a long hard look at the sentencing involved in his breakout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hopefully the judge involved takes a long hard look at the sentencing involved in his breakout.

what does how long he got sentenced have do to with him breaking out?

batistuta9 wrote: »

Hes in an open prison. He shouldnt have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Because the scumbag was only 8 months into a 7 year sentence, he should never have been in an open prison in the first place. As far as i was aware loughlin house was a prison where they sent prisoners who were nearing the end of their sentence and were not considered a danger/threat to the public. McDermot is a low life scum bag who is highly dangerous and should have been in mountjoy/castlerea for the whole of his prison term not in a holiday camp (as prisoners have described it!)

Hes in an open prison. He shouldnt have been.

that has nothing to do with the length of his sentence though

I wouldn't say he got sent straight to the open prison either

that has nothing to do with the length of his sentence though

I wouldn't say he got sent straight to the open prison either

I didnt mention the lenght of his sentence but in hindsight I should have.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Because the scumbag was only 8 months into a 7 year sentence, he should never have been in an open prison in the first place. As far as i was aware loughlin house was a prison where they sent prisoners who were nearing the end of their sentence and were not considered a danger/threat to the public. McDermot is a low life scum bag who is highly dangerous and should have been in mountjoy/castlerea for the whole of his prison term not in a holiday camp (as prisoners have described it!)

the sentencing has nothing to do with what prison he was in though, he got 7 years for manslaughter. that was the punishment deemed fit by the law of the land

I think you get to the open prisons on good behaviour as well, i've heard some prisoners aren't that fond of them either as their boring and would rather be in the other prisons

i don't think he should be regarded as highly dangerous either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He must be really stupid. Once caught he will get a longer sentence in the joy or Castlerea. He killed a guard so he will be sent back from the UK if that's where he has gone.

the sentencing has nothing to do with what prison he was in though, he got 7 years for manslaughter. that was the punishment deemed fit by the law of the land

I think you get to the open prisons on good behaviour as well, i've heard some prisoners aren't that fond of them either as their boring and would rather be in the other prisons

Surely his past sentences would have been an indication to the judge that a longer sentence was warranted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You dont know him. He is dangerous in that he will do anything not to be caught and that includes killing people or not caring whether someone gets killed.

Yes i do know him...personally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement