Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Killer takes a hike, from an open prison!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Surley his past sentences would have been an indication to the judge that a longer sentence was warranted?

i don't know of any of his past sentences, so he's been inside before then i take it.

but they gave him 7 years and must have thought that fitted the crime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

batistuta9 wrote: »

No one is questioning the lenght of the sentence, its the fact that he was in an open prison after only being sentenced last July!

CJC999 wrote: »
    You dont know him. He is dangerous in that he will do anything not to be caught and that includes killing people or not caring whether someone gets killed.

Yes i do know him...personally.

might be a bit of an over exaggeration there. most of his convictions appear to be for traffic offences

how do you know i don't know him or people know/believe that you know him(personally) it's a pointless thing to say online tbh just look's like your trying to back up your story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

baldbear wrote: »
    91 previous convictions, a 20 yr driving ban he kills a gaurd gets only 7 yrs in a open prison! Jesus irish justice sucks. why wasn't this mentioned on the news?

91 previous convictions!? You are kidding, right?
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/07/24/tragic-garda-had-planned-to-ask-girlfriend-to-marry-him-when-she-was-21/

if he was sorry like he said he should of kept his head down and done his few years instead of doing a legger and putting the gardas family through more pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

might be a bit of an over exaggeration there. most of his convictions appear to be for traffic offences

how do you know i don't know him or people know/believe that you know him(personally) it's a pointless thing to say online tbh just look's like your trying to back up your story

I dont see why anyone would make up that.

I dont see why anyone would make up that.

nearly 5000 posts, you know what comments online are like

and i said why he/she could have possibly made it up - to make their argument stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I knwo people who were fiends of this Garda. To say they are horrified would be an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is an "open prison?' Low security? Prisoners sign out in the morning with the promise to be back by 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is an "open prison?' Low security? Prisoners sign out in the morning with the promise to be back by 5?

Pretty much. He probably had a winner at the bookies and splashed out on a night out followed by a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Wasn't it in Donegal that he killed the Garda?:confused:

I'm surprised they go so easy on cop-killers up there. Just look at the sentences handed out to those Donegal Gardai who planted evidence and coerced witnesses to frame innocent people and had Mr. McBrearty stuck in jail for years, ruined his business and broke up his family. Truly exemplary sentences those!

Oh, wait ---:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McBrearty,_Sr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Wasn't it in Donegal that he killed the Garda?:confused:

I'm surprised they go so easy on cop-killers up there. Just look at the sentences handed out to those Donegal Gardai who planted evidence and coerced witnesses to frame innocent people and had Mr. McBrearty stuck in jail for years, ruined his business and broke up his family. Truly exemplary sentences those!

Oh, wait ---:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McBrearty,_Sr.

Robbie was 16 when the mcbrearty saga happened. Exactly what relevance has it to his murder? You give trolling a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

MagicSean wrote: »
    Robbie was 16 when the mcbrearty saga happened. Exactly what relevance has it to his murder? You give trolling a bad name.

You have no right to accuse me of trolling, which is against the rules of the forum. I did not imply any connection between the deceased Garda and the crimes committed by other members of the force. If you read my comment again, you will see that the point I am making is that some members of the Gardai in Donegal have committed grave crimes and yet escaped meaningful punishment. That in entirely consistent with my often-expressed view that the rule of law should apply to all, and especially to persons who exercise public power and abuse it.:rolleyes:

I wanted to make that point in contrast to the Daily Mailish demands for ultra-severe punishment being made in this thread. As it happens, I do not believe that the punishment for killing or injuring a Garda should be more or less lenient than when the victim is just an ordinary citizen. Nor should indignation at apparently lenient sentences be reserved for the likes of McDermott; he seems to me to be a bit of a loser anyway and will soon be caught. The Gardai who framed people will still be laughing up their sleeves.:) Or maybe you would prefer that no one mentioned matters like that?

If you feel incapable of rational argument and want to come across rather like a blustering Garda bully and bellow insults and false allegations at someone whose views do not accord with your own, then knock yourself out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

You have no right to accuse me of trolling, which is against the rules of the forum. I did not imply any connection between the deceased Garda and the crimes committed by other members of the force. If you read my comment again, you will see that the point I am making is that some members of the Gardai in Donegal have committed grave crimes and yet escaped meaningful punishment. That in entirely consistent with my often-expressed view that the rule of law should apply to all, and especially to persons who exercise public power and abuse it.:rolleyes:

I wanted to make that point in contrast to the Daily Mailish demands for ultra-severe punishment being made in this thread. As it happens, I do not believe that the punishment for killing or injuring a Garda should be more or less lenient than when the victim is just an ordinary citizen. Nor should indignation at apparently lenient sentences be reserved for the likes of McDermott; he seems to me to be a bit of a loser anyway and will soon be caught. The Gardai who framed people will still be laughing up their sleeves.:) Or maybe you would prefer that no one mentioned matters like that?

If you feel incapable of rational argument and want to come across rather like a blustering Garda bully and bellow insults and false allegations at someone whose views do not accord with your own, then knock yourself out.:D
    You made the connection.
    The only thing these cases have in common is Donegal. Nothing else.

As for sentencing in relation to killing a Garda, it's seen as an attack on the state - an unarmed policeman (which was as rare when the state was founded as it is now) acting on your behalf with your consent.

It was only a matter of time before somebody shoe-horned Donegal Garda Corruption into this (and every other Garda thread).
    Now, bring on Mayo, Abbeylara, etc., etc. Not one original thought there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Cop killer should have been killed (eye for an eye). But it's not yet like that in our Winnie-the-Pooh world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Please tell me the garlic swindler isnt at large?

No he is probably locked up in soliary in Portlaoise, while this tosser is free to walk around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With any luck this guy will be found...

...face-down in a ditch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,129 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is ZERO connection to this case, so all the smileys in the world wont fix your ridiculous post.

It reeks of effort...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

MagicSean wrote: »

Gary Mc Loughlin was the Guard that was killed by Mc Dermott. You're thinking of Gda Robert Mc Callion, different incident but similar circumstances. Both tragedies of the highest order and murders by lowlife scum who are mollycoddled by the state.

I fully understand the anger of the Guard quoted in todays Indo
    "I am so angry I can hardly begin to speak," said one senior garda when told.

"This is not just the fact Gda McLoughlin died.

"It is the fact that McDermott killed anyone at all and is sent to this holiday camp to serve his sentence. McDermott is a serial criminal who will offend again."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A0 wrote: »
    Cop killer should have been killed (eye for an eye). But it's not yet like that in our Winnie-the-Pooh world.

I agree 100% the laws in this country suit the criminals,if this fella killed a cop in any other country he would be shot and be now pushing up daisys and no one would bat an eyelid,but if that happened here there would be investigations after investigations and it would end up with the gardai in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

With a bit of luck this idiot will wrap himself around a lamp post and get a taste of his own medicine before he harms someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seamus wrote: »
    With any luck this guy will be found...

...face-down in a ditch

I agree. Bog-snorkelling holidays should be a part of every rehabilitation program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you knew him you would have been a bit more informed in your earlier replies so i assumed you didnt know him.

As for me knowing him, you have to take my word for it, He's from raphoe, i'm from not too far away from there, i know quite a few of his friends (now ex-friends) very very well, 2 of them were at my wedding. I know him and whats he's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Pure madness, this person could do the same again. It brings to mind an other sick killer http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/infamous-double-killer-gallagher-back-in-ireland-488423.html Who the state let walk free.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

91 convictions, and then he kills someone. How many crimes did he commit to be caught and convicted 91 times? Throw away the key after 10, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

cocoshovel wrote: »
    As if to confirm that he is even more of a thick headed scumbag the filthy coward does a runner. Probably bawling his eyes out in some bush.
    Hope he rots.

Or jerking off in a bush while watching the garda trainees parade around the yard in Templemore thinking "mmm, fresh meat/bacon"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Who is it exactly that decides where a prisoner goes to serve out their sentence?
    Whichever idiot chose to send him to an open prison should be feeling a wee bit nervous around about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Who is it exactly that decides where a prisoner goes to serve out their sentence?
    Whichever idiot chose to send him to an open prison should be feeling a wee bit nervous around about now.

Probably not. Just another faceless/nameless bureaucrat who will suffer no repurcussions from this stupid decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

where is the garlic man serving his 6 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Only in Ireland could have 91 convictions, be banned from driving for twenty years, kill a Garda and get only 7 years in an open prison.

If this were the States he'd be facing life behind bars, if not the Death Penalty.

I don't blame the courts or the police though, it's the way the law works here that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Only in Ireland could have 91 convictions, be banned from driving for twenty years, kill a Garda and get only 7 years in an open prison.

If this were the States he'd be facing life behind bars, if not the Death Penalty.

I don't blame the courts or the police though, it's the way the law works here that's the problem.

which US state has the death penalty for manslaughter, or traffic offences,? my money is on Texas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

forfuxsake wrote: »
    which US state has the death penalty for manslaughter, or traffic offences,? my money is on Texas.

:confused:

You do know I meant the DP for killing a Police Officer don't you?

You don't mess with Texas:P.

With persistent offender laws in the US there's no way in hell he could have racked up 91 offences!
    If someone keeps coming before the court and getting charged again and again, they will receive a longer sentence each time.
    He would have been serving a decent stretch after several convictions.

No US state has the death penalty for manslaughter, even if they killed a police officer. So to answer your question if this was one of the states that employs the death penalty, then no he would not be facing it. He would be facing a lengthy spell in prison

No US state has the death penalty for manslaughter, even if they killed a police officer. So to answer your question if this was one of the states that employs the death penalty, then no he would not be facing it. He would be facing a lengthy spell in prison

You are begging the question - would he have been found guilty of manslaughter or murder in the US?

I had to laugh at this quote:
    Under Garda questioning McDermott said he wished he could turn back the clock on the entire incident.

“I’m having nightmares and I feel sorry for Gary’s family and friends – I wish it hadn’t happened. It was just a freak accident."
    Yes, a freak accident. Who could know that there was any risk involved in fleeing from the police at a hundred miles an hour on public roads while drunk, disqualified and uninsured? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ballinteerguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Wonderbar!

PLEASE PLEASE tell me he will get an extension on his sentance and serve it in a REAL prison...!

You are begging the question - would he have been found guilty of manslaughter or murder in the US?

Realistically it would depend on a number of factors and it is difficult to work out.

If he was black and it was Mississippi then it highly likely that he would have been convicted of murder, but still unlikely that he would have been given the death penalty as it cannot be 100% certain that his intention was to kill.

If he was a young rich white guy who killed a black cop in the same circumstances then he may escape with a manslaughter conviction and a 15 year sentence.

He would not have got 7 years in an open prison no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Yes, a freak accident. Who could know that there was any risk involved in fleeing from the police at a hundred miles an hour on public roads while drunk, disqualified and uninsured? :rolleyes:

Ironically, the fact that he was twice over the legal drink-driving limit probably helped him in that murder would have been too difficult to prove.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    Wonderbar!

PLEASE PLEASE tell me he will get an extension on his sentance and serve it in a REAL prison...!

He was extremely fortunate to have been given a chance to undergo rehabilitation in an open prison. He blew it. Anything less than a longer sentence in a proper prison would constitute a grave miscarriage of justice and undermine the justice system.]

But we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

We got him back!

Arrested in Derry by the PSNI ... what happens now? Do they bring him to the border and give him a push? :)

LittleBook wrote: »
    Arrested in Derry by the PSNI ... what happens now? Do they bring him to the border and give him a push? :)
    Is there any part of the border that overlooks a long drop? :pac:

LittleBook wrote: »

Well if he lawyers up and fights extradition then that will stand him in good stead when it comes to sentencing for his escape.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Wonderbar!

He's probably not going to serve any extra time for the escape.
    Chances are he will just have to serve his full sentence with no chance of parole or time off for good behaviour, but hopefully this time he will be going to a maximum security prison like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Good news. He will be back in time for his next art and drama class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

realies wrote: »
    :) Awaits the entrance of the garlic mans sentence :D

Well it does highlight how fooked up our jusitce system really is.
    You have 91 previous convictions, recklessly drive whilst drunk, refuse to obey police then kill a policeman and you get about the same time as someone that avoids paying duty on the importation of foodstuffs.

Fooking hell no wonder some countries think we are a bunch of feckless eejits.
    Why would you get a worse sentence for killing a guard? Are they better than normal people?

No, but members of the police forces in most countries are allowed a certain protection by the law.
    Thus if someone kills a policeman/woman whilst in the process of a crime then the law comes down harder on the offender.

In case it has slipped the mind of the gobs***es who are always looking for some excuse to have a go at "cops" they are the upholders of law and order.
    They are the ones that make sure we have some semblance of law in the state.
    And make no mistake the same gobsheens that mouth off about them are often damm glad of them.
    Read through my previous posts especially those in state benifits prinz. I work part time with a charity for abuse victims. Its not something new to me.

Im not unconditionally slating the gaurds just pointing out that praise dependent on the individual would be better suited than unconditional praise.

It not an issue of fooking praise or holding individuals in esteem.
    It is an issue of offering some protection to the upholders of our laws.
    i don't know of any of his past sentences, so he's been inside before then i take it.

Do you think 7 years is about right for the killing of someone trying to stop somone endangering the lives of others ?

Do you think it deserves much more time in prison than say the mislabelling of an imported food product to avoid tax ?

In the US he may already have been behind bars for his many misdemeanours and he would at the very least be charged with 2nd degree murder, that is of course if he hadn't been shot for evading arrest and endangering police officers.

Ah but shure in good old Ireland he is the fooking victim and needs to be rehabiliated.

Padraig Nally had the right idea.
    Much quicker and does the world a favour.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The justice system in this country is an embarrassment.

This guy should have been locked up in the deepest, darkest hole for the rest of his natural life for killing a member of the police. Not that he should even have been on the streets with 91 convictions in the first place.

Our judges should all be removed from their positions because the sentences they hand out are completely inadequate and they are just unable to do their job properly.

I think it's actually a good thing that he tried to do a runner.

Now there is a very good chance that he serves his full seven years in a maximum security prison.
    If he hadn't escaped he would probably have done 3.5 to 4 years in an open prison, with days out and other such privileges.(I hope your little ramble was worth it)

It also means people are asking why he was put there in the first place, so with any luck somebody will be brought to book on that, who knows maybe some changes in policy will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bluebottle102

benway wrote: »

Probably because they don't have enough spaces in proper prisons, and boy racer here wasn't seen to be as much of a threat as violent offenders. Would say they'll have fun with him if/when he's caught...

BOY RACER?? So any man that runs over a Garda and has 90 odd convictions is a car enthusiast?? And you wouldn't class him as a violent offender?? He drove at, and intentionally killed a Garda I don't think he can be classed as anything other than violent!!!!

Just because prisons are tight does not mean scum like this should be sent to a holiday camp like Loughan House... Sure we might aswell send them to Trabolgan!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well in that regard were more advanced than those us states with the death penality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement