Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber stairs finish: varnish or oil?

• 15-03-2012 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I will be getting the steps of spiral staircase made from ash (steel framework). The timber is very pale so I would like to darken/warm it up slightly but not sure if I should go for a varnish or oil finish.
    I don't want a very high gloss finish and obviously want the steps to be safe and not slippy when just wearing socks!
    Any suggestions of good products out there? I'm hoping to do this myself but will get someone to do it if I need to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

emer - Whether you go for oil or varnish you are still going to end up with a slippery surface which could lead to a nasty accident. Although I have'nt used them them myself, you can buy special self adhesive 'stair mats' that cover the front of the tread and partially cover[half moon shaped] the top of tread. As well as the safety angle,they also cut down noise and prevent wear. They are quite expensive [E15? each] -but what is the price to fix a broken arm or leg?
    If you are'nt going to stair mats, then I would use oil because it will wear better and not require sanding down every time you re-coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I fitted a white oak stair case in my place and after getting all sorts of wild quotes did it my self.
    The stick on non slip strips might make sense but look crap so I went with Rustin's floor varnish have 5 coats on the treads sanding in between satin finish and it is magic Oh and its non slip.
    I put on the clear but tried a mellow finish they do on a sample first, might be what your looking for, as for oil you still need to sand between the more coats the better as you are going to walk on the steps remember that

I think I would put the safety of my kids[or other peoples kids] over looks myself. Why would you sand between the coats of oil?

Well if you don't care about the looks of the stairs yes safety comes first so why not get a concrate stairs and leave them rough or even use scaffold planks or give the raw wood one coat of oil and as it will open up the pores in the timber just like with varnish you will see clearly like little hairs, you wont slip on them

650gs -Concrete..scaff boards?...get a grip now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Jesus you get plenty grip with that alright.

Well you did say you would put safety first a head of looks cant have it both ways, like I was going to but a lovely sporty red Ferrari but for safety thought I had better get it in day glow yellow but that would be plain stupid as I said cant have it both ways.
    A nice spiral staircase in the corner of the room with timber treads would be a beautiful feature then again we could ad the day glow ha ha ha ha ha and a bit of oil to be sure you slip off the last step ha ha ha ha a good one ha :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Might be a daft question but why use ash if you dont like pale wood, Ash is one of the palest around?
    there are other woods which would be darker and/or less expensive

O.P - Before anyone suggests that you use metal footplate [good grip/modern industrial look] or something......would you check out the sisel stair mats at 'www.woodyoulike.co.uk',and tell us if you like the look[or idea] of them.Further advice on different types of wood treatment would depend on if you are going to use these safety features [ie:if you are going to need a finish that is more resistent to wear or not].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

thanks for all the replies, was a lot more entertaining than I though it was going to be!

It will be the main staircase in a family home but it will also be a real feature and I really want it to look good as well as function well. I'm really not a fan of the safety strips (I do see the advantage) but I think they will spoil the look. We have put a lot of work and research into the design, as it has to be custom made, so I want it to be a real focal point.
    I realise ash is one of the palest woods but the joiner we have decided to use offered us ash, poplar and oak, of which I preferred the grain of the ash.
    I have used Rustins products before for timberwork so I'll have a look at their range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

wayoutwest wrote: »
    O.P - Before anyone suggests that you use metal footplate [good grip/modern industrial look] or something......would you check out the sisel stair mats at 'www.woodyoulike.co.uk',and tell us if you like the look[or idea] of them.Further advice on different types of wood treatment would depend on if you are going to use these safety features [ie:if you are going to need a finish that is more resistent to wear or not].

Had a look, not really a fan. Maybe when I have a few small ones running around I'll feel differently but the upstairs of the house is just the master bedroom and office at the moment so I'm not too worried about children using the stairs, just that its relatively non-slip.
    Thanks for that website though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

personally I am not a fan of "changing" the colour of wood particularly when it is flooring/stairs/handrails etc that are subject to a lot of ware. over time the wood wares and the colour fades but only in certain parts(eg centre to front edge of stairs) and when you re-treat it sometimes it emphasises the difference instead of hiding it.

Advertisement