Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excessive comsumption of tea?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I keep trying to find information on health benefits of normal tea!!
    does it aid in weight loss? or suppress appetite ?
    Ive noticed on supersize vs superskinny alot of the super skinnys drink crazy amounts of tea!!
    and i know that green tea, and normal tea is from same plant! just different process's they go through!
    but green tea minimum process so more anti-oxidants.
    but i wanna know about normal tea does it still have a weight loss benefit?!
    or any other health benefits?
    i know its bad for bones etc heard all the bad stuff already :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Where did you hear it was bad for bones? The studies I've seen imply it has a benefit for bones, above and beyond the milk in it.

Tea, particularly tea without milk or sugar, has a lot of health benefits. Green tea has some good research in weight loss.

However, it's not a magic pill. If you drink tea instead of coke, you'll definitely see weight loss benefit. Just drinking tea don't do anything amazing.

I don't know how much you'd have to drink to be considered excessive, but it would be a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

EileenG wrote: »
    Where did you hear it was bad for bones? The studies I've seen imply it has a benefit for bones, above and beyond the milk in it.

Tea, particularly tea without milk or sugar, has a lot of health benefits. Green tea has some good research in weight loss.

However, it's not a magic pill. If you drink tea instead of coke, you'll definitely see weight loss benefit. Just drinking tea don't do anything amazing.

I don't know how much you'd have to drink to be considered excessive, but it would be a lot.
    oh crap i must have got thing about bones mixed up!
    ya i know about green tea being good for weight loss but is it same for normal say barrys tea etc?
    well it wouldnt be excessive i drink about 12 but just wondering if i get any benefit from it! i use soya unsweetened along with stevia sweeteners

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

EileenG wrote: »

oh crap i must have got thing about bones mixed up!
    ya i know about green tea being good for weight loss but is it same for normal say barrys tea etc?
    well it wouldnt be excessive i drink about 12 but just wondering if i get any benefit from it! i use soya unsweetened along with stevia sweeteners
    Twelve cups of tea is ridiculously bad for you imo, I know someone who drank that amount and kept gettin heart palpitations. I only allow myself one tea or coffee a day as it really bloats and if I have a night out coming up I don't eat bread or drink caffeine for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I had an aunt who smoked all her life and was in perfect health. One person does not prove a case.

The research seems to indicate that you can drink several cups a day without problems. And it depends on how strong your tea is. I put one teabag into a pot and get six cups. Are those six cups six times more harmful than the person who drinks one cup of stew? Or are they the same? Or do I get credit for the extra five cups of water I've consumed?

Advertisement