Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redford Park Broadband Providers?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm soon to be living in Redford Park area and wondered what choices people would suggest for broadband supplier.

Here's some info about what I need/would like.

I work from home, so would be online solid about 9 hours a day - Mon - Fri.
    Mainly SEO and website work, so uploading / downloading mainly small files.

The house I believe has/had working Eircom land line, no WiFi dishes fitted. A pal is going to do a remote line test for me tomorrow to confirm line capability.

I was previously closer to Dub and had UPC 25MB fibre, so am obviously aware that is some way off reaching Greystones northern end.
    Need a working land line for phone, would like free off peak UK calls, but can skype instead. So basic phone package included is fine.

Eircom seem to be advertising 8MB (up to!!) with now unlimited data for around the €46 for 6 months, then €52.

Vodafone are cheaper but have a 300GB data cap in place, also initial website tests come back as not being able to supply the property??

So, who is in and around Redford Park and what would you suggest?

Many thanks,

MO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dmckeown

I've Vodafone which is just really over the top of Eircom.
    Advertised at Up to 9Mgbps.
    Actual averages about 5.

Havent had any trouble yet at all... and is €38 for phone and b/band with a load of free call stuff.

Only other real option outside of Eircom/Vodafone etc, is an ariel based provider. Wouldnt touch them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Thanks!

I have had a remote line test done and it will support 10mb but as we all know what it will support is not what we get!

I'm just wondering with Vodafone if I might go over the monthly data limit of 350GB.

I'll probably take a look at Eircom and wait for UPC to dig up the roads in a few months/years!

Have a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BarryAlistair

I live near you, and, after many years with the state provider, switched to Wicklow Broadband http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/

Being in the tech industry too, I decided on a business package.

Apart from the fact it is a technically good service, they also provide an exemplary service. Installed the next day I ordered it (and I hear other people say the same). I had a problem once where I couldn't log on to any social websites (God forbid!). I mailed their support line and within an hour I received a mail back saying the issue was fixed. All on a Friday evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Thanks for the advice folks, most appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fabrizio5680

Hi,

Looking to moving to Redford Park and wondering what the broadband situation is like now 3 years later?

I hear vodafone is coming in with high speed fibre, is this still the case and what is there currently available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I hear vodafone is coming in with high speed fibre, is this still the case and what is there currently available.

I think it's hit and miss depending on where you are in the estate - there's a thread on here about eFibre and some houses in Redford can't get it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think it's hit and miss depending on where you are in the estate - there's a thread on here about eFibre and some houses in Redford can't get it at all.

We're in Redford park and I regularly work from home with lots of video confs. We're with Vodafone and its been very dependable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

I work from home as well and have been with Vodafone for a few years. Never had a problem and very happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fabrizio5680

Delganyman wrote: »
    I work from home as well and have been with Vodafone for a few years. Never had a problem and very happy with the service.

Would you do a speed test for me? and also is it ADSL (phone line) or fibre, also where in the estate are you positioned left or right of main road?

Thanks

Advertisement