Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to NY marathon

Options
  • 15-03-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

After reading lots of the training logs for inspiration I've decided to start my own.

For some background, I'm 29, female and have always wanted to run a marathon. So this is the year, I've signed up for New York 2012 which is on November 4. I would say I'm unfit and I'm definitely not a runner. As an idea of where i am starting, I've never run more than a few mins without stopping. Ever!

I've decided to start on the treadmill to try and work on being able to run for longer without stopping and then I will move on to the park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

So yesterday off I went with my new Garmin F60 and tried my best:

Distance: 2.00 mi
    Time: 24:12
    Avg Pace: 12:00 min/mi
    Calories: 187 C

Best Pace: 8:30 min/mi

Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Max HR: 180 bpm

I managed to run 10 minutes at 5.5mph without stopping but then my heart rate was at 180 so I slowed down to a walk and then ran at 5.5mph for another 5 minutes.

Today:

Distance: 2.05 mi
    Time: 25:22
    Avg Pace: 12:30 min/mi
    Calories: 196 C

Best Pace: 7:54 min/mi

Avg HR: 157 bpm
    Max HR: 180 bpm

I ran for 10.5minutes at 5.5mph without stopping but my heart rate was 180 again so I walked and then did another 3:15 at 5.5mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck with the log. Don't worry too much about the HR at this stage, it's going to be hard at this start. Just worry about getting time on your feet and slowly extending the distance of each run.

Thanks pconn, it said 180 was 96% of my max heart rate so I was worried about going over it.

Day 3

Time: 23:59
    Calories: 188 C

Best Pace: 8:42 min/mi

Avg HR: 162 bpm
    Max HR: 182 bpm

Ran 12 minutes 15 seconds without stopping but then I found it hard to get started again so only managed a few short sprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Best of luck enjoy the training and the marathon. You will love the marathon experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Best of luck with the log and training.....and marathon

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Didn't manage any training over the weekend but back to it today and managed 15 minutes without stopping at 5.5mph.

Distance: 1.46 mi
    Time: 15:49
    Avg Pace: 10:49 min/mi
    Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Max HR: 179 bpm

I know its not a lot compared to the massive distances everyone else here can run but I'm pretty sure its the longest I've ever gone without stopping! The day I make it to 30 minutes without stopping I'm going to throw a party!

I feel I could have gone on a bit longer but in my mind I was saying stop. I need to figure out how to switch off from clock watching. Am planning to move to the park soon but its 20 degrees here at the minute, I have a feeling running in the sun is going to be tough.

Had a rubbish run today, my garmin graph looks like the outside of a castle. So annoyed, just couldn't get my stride right and i felt hunched over or something.

Distance: 2.05 mi
    Time: 25:26
    Best Pace: 6:48 min/mi
    Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Max HR: 172 bpm

Time: 23:13
    Avg Pace: 11:32 min/mi
    Best Pace: 6:48 min/mi
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Max HR: 174 bpm

Have arranged to do the lower loop in the park with my much better running buddy on Saturday morning, its 2.7km and I'm going to do it without stopping! That's the plan anyway! Am looking forward to going outdoors as the treadmill is getting old fast.

Ran for 21 minutes without stopping :) Delighted as it is my longest time ever. Now for a day of rest before my big run in the park on Saturday morning.

Time: 21:51
    Avg Pace: 10:54 min/mi
    Best Pace: 9:38 min/mi
    Avg HR: 168 bpm
    Max HR: 184 bpm

Did my first run outdoors today, did the lower loop in the park, it was hard. But I made it round without stopping. I almost got sick at the end, there was a little gagging :eek: but I was ok after a few seconds. A sign of my complete unfitness I'm sure. There were some hills which I found hard coming off the treadmill.

Before I started in the gym I did the same run and managed about 0.5miles without stopping so its nice to see some improvement!

Distance: 1.62 mi
    Time: 17:22
    Avg Pace: 10:41 min/mi
    Avg HR: 172 bpm
    Max HR: 191 bpm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Its a great feeling to do your first run outside. Well done keep it up

Distance: 1.00 mi
    Time: 10:53
    Avg Pace: 10:55 min/mi
    Best Pace: 9:48 min/mi
    Avg HR: 162 bpm
    Max HR: 178 bpm

Haven't done any running since Saturday, bit annoyed with myself. Went out after work on Monday and it set the scene for the week. Went to the gym tonight and did 10minutes but felt so sluggish.

Back to it tomorrow...

Have had a rubbish week exercise wise. Gutted I haven't made any progress this week. Spent too much time having fun and in the bar on friday and saturday and drinking + running the next day just doesn't work for me.

I'm also training for an event called Tough Mudder, its a 10 mile obstacle course. Its recommended you can run over 7 miles so I need to get up to that by the start of the summer. Spent an hour in the gym today doing prep for that, need to work on my upper body strength for the obstacles. I'm not sure which scares me more, it or the marathon!

Will be more focused during April, am hoping to get a good run in tomorrow when all the alcohol has left my system!

Friday:
    Distance: 1.40 mi
    Time: 15:01
    Avg Pace: 10:45 min/mi
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Max HR: 171 bpm

Saturday:
    Distance: 1.01 mi
    Time: 11:14
    Avg Pace: 11:09 min/mi
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Max HR: 171 bpm

Made it to 25 minutes today without stopping :) Was going between 5 and 5.5 mph. Baby steps....

Distance: 2.25 mi
    Time: 25:02
    Avg Pace: 11:08 min/mi
    Best Pace: 9:14 min/mi
    Max HR: 185 bpm

Really feel like I don't have enough time to give to exercise at the moment but things should quieten down at the end of the month. Will be able to get some mid week running in then.

Another 25 minutes today without stopping. Was aiming for 30 but couldn't get to it. Still, I'll take 25 for now!

Distance: 2.24 mi
    Time: 25:02
    Avg Pace: 11:09 min/mi
    Max HR: 185 bpm

I realized today when I was on the treadmill that my Garmin was an amazing purchase. I think its because it makes me accountable so any time I want to stop I don't because I know I can't hide it when I download my run! So glad I bought it when I started out, I love looking at my dashboard and seeing the little improvements.

Only made it 2 miles today, was totally done after about 10 minutes but kept going

Time: 21:39
    Avg Pace: 10:49 min/mi
    Avg HR: 170 bpm
    Max HR: 183 bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

congratulations and well done on your achievements so far.:D
    It may be worth looking at this as well, so that if you feel you cant get time to train or perhaps not fit enough to do a lot of continuous running you wont be putting yourself under pressure.
    I have been doing this since I started back after long injury and can manage quite a distance already. the side effect of this is that I can now do my shorter distances continuously but at the same time , my long distances arent more than a couple of minutes slower than when I run them continuously and legs always feel great after a good time out.
    Best of luck. Dying to follow you all the way to NYC

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Keep up the good work, just stick at it.

Kinda starting a marathon build-up myself so it will be good to see how you get on also.

Thanks hot to trot, I am going to follow a training programme around 20 weeks. I have serious mind issues with not stopping and walking so I'm trying to avoid anything with that. If I let myself stop I'd be stopping every 5 minutes, so I'm trying to build myself up to running for as long as possible without stopping before I start my training programme. I will look at that programme again when it comes to 20 weeks, when I have a better idea of what I"m able for.

Good luck G-money, I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more, now that I can keep going for a bit longer. It was so disheartening at the start, struggling with half a mile...

That doesn't sound so far away! Its been 4 weeks since I started training, wanted to do a little summary of what I did in the past month

• Ran 25.08 miles in total
    • Went from 10 minutes non stop to 25 minutes
    • Ran 2.25 miles without stopping
    I went to one of the sports shops yesterday that does an analysis of how you run. I wanted to go early as my running buddy told me I was running too much on my heal and that I should try to fix it before I get too far into it. Well he was right! It was funny seeing my run on camera, i land quite hard with a flat foot, heel first. I'm going to try to move to a mid foot strike.

I also bought myself a fancy pair of running trainers in neon yellow, just to cheer up my runs. I have been running in a standard pair of cross trainer runners with quite a padded heal, thought I'd better step it up! Ordered them online, they're due to arrive tomorrow, the excitement! Really hope I like them as they have a neon pink pair that I want to do the marathon in. Its the little things that will get me through....!

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it, just stick at it. If it makes you feel any better, 18 months ago I couldn't jog for much more than 60-90 seconds. A couple of weeks later I remember just about being able to jog for 5 minutes solid and almost being in tears of frustration at how hard it was and nearly giving up.

Now I can jog for 2 or 3 miles without stopping. Horrifically slow mind-you (13 min/mile pace :o ) but I'm out of practice, inconsistent in my training and about 4-5 stone overweight so that is to be expected.

Are you aiming for the Dublin marathon G-money? Its the week before New York I think.

Went to the gym after work, I am not a huge fan of exercise late in the evening but needs must. Did 2 miles on the treadmill, some rowing, free weights and some random reps.

Time: 21:13
    Avg Pace: 10:35 min/mi
    Max HR: 182 bpm

Just back from the gym and drumroll..... ran for 35 minutes and covered 3.12miles, yay! So pleased to have broken 30 minutes, last night when I was running I thought 2 miles was my peak!

Distance: 3.12 mi
    Time: 35:00
    Avg Pace: 11:13 min/mi
    Avg HR: 171 bpm

And just to make it even better, I converted it into km and it is 5.02km so I just ran a 5k :)

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Are you aiming for the Dublin marathon G-money? Its the week before New York I think.

I'm seriously considering it alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ellie_sun wrote: »
    And just to make it even better, I converted it into km and it is 5.02km so I just ran a 5k :)
    Well done, it's a nice little milestone to hit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Best of luck with this. I'm entered for the NYCM this year too, had to rob a bank to pay the entry fee :p

Thanks guys!

Brian are you waiting for the lottery results for NY?

Now I think I deserve another drumroll for this one.... 4.28 miles in 46.22 minutes for my outdoor run :D

I was with my running buddy and the plan was to do a 3 mile loop to the reservoir. My running buddy took me around the reservoir for the 4 mile run instead of across the bottom of it. I don't really know how to describe it - it was hard, I am still purple faced but I made it! I was concentrating so hard on breathing and keeping moving but I didn't try and stop at any point.

Distance: 4.28 mi
    Time: 46:22
    Avg Moving Pace: 10:50 min/mi
    Best Pace: 8:30 min/mi
    Avg HR: 175 bpm

Its funny, the further I'm able to run, the more huge of a challenge the marathon seems. On the positive side, I never thought that in week 5 I would be running over 45 minutes and over 4 miles.

Did an easy 1.86 miles in the park tonight. Ha, no it wasn't easy at all but I like the way other people do easy runs in their training logs. Was 20 degrees this evening, not sure if that made it feel worse than it was.

Distance: 1.86 mi
    Time: 19:06
    Avg Pace: 10:13 min/mi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck here! I just finished my first ever marathon 10 days ago, so I totally understand your excitement and all the work you have ahead of you. Make sure you enjoy the whole journey (and it is a journey, believe me!) and don't forget to keep it all in proper perspective. I'm also considering signing up for NY, so I will definitely be keeping tabs on you, and I might see you there!! :)

Advertisement