Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to NY marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Feel like I've been neglecting running recently but its mainly because I had to rest my ankle. Went for another run on Sunday morning and had to stop half way round because it was sore.

I'd signed up for a month of boot camp which I was supposed to start last week but postponed due to my ankle so I decided I'd give it a try on Monday morning. I strapped it up and put on my most supportive runners and made it felt ok, yipeeeeeeeeee!

Since I'm training for the mud run in 3 weeks I'll keep track of all my exercise since it won't be all running.

Monday - 60 minute bootcamp
    Tuesday - everything hurt!
    Wednesday - 4 mile cycle to/from bootcamp, 60 minute bootcamp, 20 laps of pool
    Thursday - 2 mile run

Distance: 2.00 mi
    Time: 18:25
    Avg Pace: 9:11 min/mi
    Avg HR: 170 bpm

Friday

Distance: 3.12 mi
    Time: 33:26
    Avg Pace: 10:43 min/mi
    Avg HR: 165 bpm

Saturday

60 minute bootcamp
    4 mile cycle

Went on an impromptu night out last night, was so tough to get up and go to bootcamp. And then do it in 30 degree heat at midday!

18 week marathon training starts in one week, eeeeeekk

Sunday:

Distance: 2.92 mi
    Time: 31:56
    Avg Pace: 10:55 min/mi
    Avg HR: 171 bpm

Monday - 60 minute bootcamp

Tuesday - run in park

Distance: 4.08 mi
    Time: 45:11
    Avg Pace: 11:05 min/mi
    Avg HR: 175 bpm

• Advertisement

Did my first race today, it was an experience anyway!

Alarm went off at 5am, bit of a trek out to Queens with a couple of subway changes. Was really nervous, it reminded me of exam nerves. It was really warm, 28 degrees and pure sunshine (from the weather on the results: 82 degrees, 51% humidity) for the 9am start so was sweating way before the start line.

First couple of miles were ok, (mile 1 split 9:35, mile 2 split 10:29) so probably started off a bit too fast and also had to weave around a lot of people. 5k split was 33 minutes, which included water stops at each mile. Really struggled for the next half, ended up with a time of 1:11:33.

I'm not overly happy with my performance but I learned a lot from the experience:
    - I really need more road running experience
    - Not to start off too fast
    - My endurance is not good
    - I really need to work on my breathing.

Running is not easy, but it felt great crossing the finishing line. It was lovely having people cheering along the course and the volunteers are great to give up their morning.

I now feel really motivated but about 100 times more nervous for the marathon - I have to do this morning 4 times in a row :eek:

First day of marathon training program, 3 miles. I need to fix my Garmin, route was actually 3.1 miles. Watch was also off in the race on Sunday, measured 6.06 vs the course of 6.25.

Distance: 2.95 mi
    Time: 33:22
    Avg Pace: 11:18 min/mi
    Avg HR: 173 bpm

Two runs to report

Thursday:
    Distance: 2.06 mi
    Time: 20:10
    Avg Pace: 9:51 min/mi
    Avg HR: 161 bpm

Friday:
    Distance: 3.01 mi
    Time: 31:59
    Avg Pace: 10:39 min/mi
    Avg HR: 157 bpm

Its week one of my marathon training and I'm 3 miles behind. Week 1 has coincided with a heat wave in NY. Got up at 6am for my run this morning and it was so hot. Have an 8 mile run on the plan for tomorrow or sunday and both are forecast at over 30 degrees. Gotta love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Did my first race today, it was an experience anyway!

Alarm went off at 5am, bit of a trek out to Queens with a couple of subway changes. Was really nervous, it reminded me of exam nerves. It was really warm, 28 degrees and pure sunshine (from the weather on the results: 82 degrees, 51% humidity) for the 9am start so was sweating way before the start line.

First couple of miles were ok, (mile 1 split 9:35, mile 2 split 10:29) so probably started off a bit too fast and also had to weave around a lot of people. 5k split was 33 minutes, which included water stops at each mile. Really struggled for the next half, ended up with a time of 1:11:33.

I'm not overly happy with my performance but I learned a lot from the experience:
    - I really need more road running experience
    - Not to start off too fast
    - My endurance is not good
    - I really need to work on my breathing.

Running is not easy, but it felt great crossing the finishing line. It was lovely having people cheering along the course and the volunteers are great to give up their morning.

I now feel really motivated but about 100 times more nervous for the marathon - I have to do this morning 4 times in a row :eek:

That's the Queens 10k (formerly Half marathon). Mrs P ran that. You should give yourself credit - that was a very hot and sticky morning - it's always a brutal race.
    Reading your log I've realized we are 'neighbors' . I'm just across the Hudson in NJ. I've been out of action for a while but will try a NYRR race soon.
    We're also signed up for the NY marathon .... Though I may defer. Are you doing the organized training runs ? They are very useful - there are pace groups at different pace doing laps of Central Park - You can switch between groups to try different paces, water tables etc.
    If are sign up we should try to introduce ourselves. Mrs P and I will both be there. If not I'd recommend it.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    That's the Queens 10k (formerly Half marathon). Mrs P ran that. You should give yourself credit - that was a very hot and sticky morning - it's always a brutal race.
    Reading your log I've realized we are 'neighbors' . I'm just across the Hudson in NJ. I've been out of action for a while but will try a NYRR race soon.
    We're also signed up for the NY marathon .... Though I may defer. Are you doing the organized training runs ? They are very useful - there are pace groups at different pace doing laps of Central Park - You can switch between groups to try different paces, water tables etc.
    If are sign up we should try to introduce ourselves. Mrs P and I will both be there. If not I'd recommend it.

Thanks pgmpcq, nice to have have a neighbor! The 10k was brutal! It was a good experience though and I love my medal! How did Mrs P get on?

I haven't signed up for the training runs, I do all my training in the park, the same loops as the training run, so I wasn't sure there was any benefit in signing up for the training run. Am away for the first but could do the second - do you think it is worth it when I run there so often? Am definitely going to do the 10 mile nyrr and the half marathon.

Are you back running at the minute? Nice weather we're having for it...!

• Advertisement

Saturday: bootcamp

Sunday: training plan had an 8 mile run, I was worried about this one all week, the 10k (6.25 miles) has been my furthest so far. Set my alarm for 6am (how times have changed, its not so long since I was leaving the bar at 6am on a Sunday morning!). There were a few thunderstorms over night so it felt a bit fresher this morning thankfully.

Did a full loop of central park, walked up one of the hills (very fittingly its heartbreak hill!) and then did a short loop. Only a few walks (water fountain, the hill and had to wait at one point to cross over a race). Very pleased with it. It was amazing watching the elite runners at the front of the triathlon as I ran in the opposite direction, they were so fast and strong.

Distance: 8.01 mi
    Time: 1:30:17
    Avg Pace: 11:19 min/mi
    Avg HR: 168 bpm

Thanks pgmpcq, nice to have have a neighbor! The 10k was brutal! It was a good experience though and I love my medal! How did Mrs P get on?

Mrs P had tough day and finished throwing up ... her usual finish line flourish !

[QUOTE=ellie_sun;79614095I haven't signed up for the training runs, I do all my training in the park, the same loops as the training run, so I wasn't sure there was any benefit in signing up for the training run. Am away for the first but could do the second - do you think it is worth it when I run there so often? Am definitely going to do the 10 mile nyrr and the half marathon.[/QUOTE]

I like the training runs as it's a way to experiement with pace, nutriiton etc in a race like setting. But yes, it is not the marathon course. Still you get to run your favorite hill (Harlem Hill) a few times :)
    Are you back running at the minute? Nice weather we're having for it...!

Weather is supposed to break by Monday. Next week will be a chilly 85 ! Back doing some training ... have not made a final decision on the marathon yet.

Monday: 60 minute bootcamp

Tuesday: 3 miles. Was still hurting from the 8 miles on Sunday or bootcamp on Monday so this one was tough.

Distance: 3.10 mi
    Time: 32:35
    Avg Pace: 10:32
    Av HR: 168

Wednesday: 60 minute bootcamp
    4 mile cycle

Missed the 5 mile pace run today which is part of my training program but have Tough Mudder on Saturday and wanted to get in a bootcamp. From next week I am cutting my bootcamps down to one a week on a Monday morning and using it as my cross training day.

Back again after a short break!

Did Tough Mudder almost two weeks ago and am only getting back into the training again.

Saturday: Tough Mudder
    This was incredibly hard, 10 miles up and down a ski slope. Serious leg work! The hills were so steep and it was continuous climbing. Highlight was jumping in a shipping container of ice and water, certainly woke me up! Excellent day but...

got the worst blood blister on my foot which meant I could only wear flip flops for a week. It was massive and really deep. Could barely walk with it for a few days and then I couldn't wear shoes. So after a mountain of plasters and a week of flip flops, I finally felt able to exercise again on Monday, 9 days later.

Monday: 60 minute bootcamp
    I really struggled after a week off. It was a big week of eating out and parties, I felt like a bag of potatoes! But I got through it and it was good to get back to exercise.

Wednesday: Run in park
    Distance: 3.00 mi
    Time: 30:02
    Avg Pace: 10:01 min/mi

First run in 10 days and I was a bit apprehensive about getting back to it. Did the first two miles in 20:04 so decided to aim for under 30 minutes. I really wanted to run an average 9:xx mile. All was going well until I got to the last set of traffic lights and a garbage truck stopped right in front of me. I tried for a sprint finish and came in at 30:02, nooooooooo!!! Still my fastest 3 miles by a minute or so.

Thursday: Run in park
    Distance: 6.00 mi
    Time: 1h:03m:54s
    Avg Pace: 10:39 min/mi

6 mile pace run. I'm confused about pace runs, I don't really have a pace I just try and get through the run. 6 miles felt ok, it was a bit cooler this morning. Have times where I struggle and spent most of it having conversations in my head about marathons and getting through it, I hope this is normal!

Today was scheduled to be a 3 mile run. I only made it 2 miles and I fought for every inch of them.

Distance: 2.00 mi
    Time: 20:24
    Avg Pace: 10:13 min/mi

I was annoyed at the start because my heart rate monitor wouldn't work and it wasn't reading. I must be a creature of habit because that put me right off! There's loads of other excuses, too hot, too humid, legs were sore... but no matter I didn't make it so they don't matter.

Rest day tomorrow, then onwards and upwards!

Can't believe I haven't posted for 3 weeks, have been out with an injury and had to stop running :( Was totally gutted but was able to starting training again this week and injury has been good so far, have everything crossed it stays that way.

Monday:
    60 minute boot camp

Wednesday:
    Time: 31:07
    Avg Pace: 10:23 min/mi

Thursday:
    Distance: 5.00 mi
    Time: 53:20
    Avg Pace: 10:40 min/mi

72 days to the marathon, eeeeekkkkk! Am already getting nervous, have no idea how I'm going to do it. Have taken to reading motivational quotes to try and encourage myself!

Got an email this morning to say they were scrapping bag check at the NY marathon this year and are giving a fleece/poncho at the finish line. I hadn't really thought about bag check with it being my first marathon but reading people's comments it seems a strange move. I don't think I mind too much as I live pretty close to the finish line, maybe 15 minute walk depending on where they let us out of Central park, and I can leave my keys with the concierge but what about people who need metro cards, keys, have a commute with no dry clothes.... seems kind of strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Might be no harm to do a few weeks of run/walk/run to get the legs used to highter mileage without risk of aggravating your injury. Perhaps a 4:1 jog/walk might be worth trying. Got for time rather than distance, Start with an hour and see how you get on .
    If 3 and 5 milers are your usual run , might be no harm to work on " time on your feet" for a bit. You will be walking some of it and its no harm to get used to it early.

Keep going

Might be no harm to do a few weeks of run/walk/run to get the legs used to highter mileage without risk of aggravating your injury. Perhaps a 4:1 jog/walk might be worth trying. Got for time rather than distance, Start with an hour and see how you get on .
    If 3 and 5 milers are your usual run , might be no harm to work on " time on your feet" for a bit. You will be walking some of it and its no harm to get used to it early.

Keep going

Thanks Hot to Trot, understand what your saying. When I'm done running I just want to go home but I should be putting in the mileage for the day.

Sunday

Distance: 7.00 mi
    Time: 1:21:13
    Avg Pace: 11:36 min/mi

Bit of a slow one today. Am really struggling with confidence at the minute, I feel like I've fallen hugely behind with 3 weeks off. The reality of the marathon is really playing on my mind and that I was crazy to think I could go from never having run before to 26 miles in 9 months.

I'm also very conscious of getting injured. But still, 7 miles is better than sleeping in and doing none! My left leg (side where I had the injury) was a bit uncomfortable after but not where I had the injury. Hopefully the stretching and foam rolling I did after sorted after.

Hopefully this week will be a good one and I can get the mileage up a bit. Have a 4 mile and 10 mile race in the next couple of weeks to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Thanks Hot to Trot, understand what your saying. When I'm done running I just want to go home but I should be putting in the mileage for the day.

Dont leave the walking until the end. Do it every few jminutes to rest your legs and catch your breath. You will be able to run for longer distances. There is still time if you are prepared to do the work. ONly you can decide how badly you want to be at the start line.

Good luck

• Advertisement

There is still time if you are prepared to do the work. ONly you can decide how badly you want to be at the start line.

Good luck

I think I am just feeling a bit sorry for myself after the three weeks out! Still I got myself out for 3 miles today after work. Hard as always, am trying to get my 3 mile down below 30 minutes but was two seconds out again! Will try again on the next 3 miler!

Time: 30:01
    Avg Pace: 10:01 min/mi

This post gets a title since tonight was a 4 mile run with the New York Road Runners, something to do with the NFL season starting.

Distance: 4.12 mi
    Time: 41:37
    Avg Pace: 10:07 min/mi

It was in Central Park, so nothing exciting to comment on as its part of the loop I do all the time. There were a few hills and I hit them at different parts of the run than normal so that kept it interesting.

My big news is I finally broke 30 minutes for 3 miles - 3 miles in 29minutes 50 seconds, very pleased with myself :) Stopped for water just after that so didn't break the 10 minute miles for 4 miles but sure I need something to aim for!

Am really struggling with confidence at the minute, I feel like I've fallen hugely behind with 3 weeks off.

Pretty normal to think negatively coming off injury. But stick with it and you'll find that while it's tough in the beginning and you'll struggle, once it starts to improve the fitness will come back quickly. The work you've got in the bank does not go away.

Deep breath and push on for another five/six weeks !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Pretty normal to think negatively coming off injury. But stick with it and you'll find that while it's tough in the beginning and you'll struggle, once it starts to improve the fitness will come back quickly. The work you've got in the bank does not go away.

Deep breath and push on for another five/six weeks !

62 days 23hours according to the website. And breathe!

Sunday:
    Distance: 10.00 mi
    Time: 1:58:47
    Avg Pace: 11:53 min/mi

10 miles this morning, yay! Had some short walking breaks after 5k, 10k and at the start of the mile 9. Took it really slow as I wanted to make it 10 miles and not have to give up early. Am really pleased to have made it 10 miles. Injury seems to be holding up ok, it doesn't seem to hurt at the minute anyway. Actually, I should specify - it doesn't hurt more than anything else!

Had a funny moment with one of the guys selling water in the park. I passed him 3 times and the 2nd time he started cheering me on and shouting encouragement and again on the 3rd time. Perked me up a bit in the last couple of miles!

Tried out my new belt this morning and loved it. It has 2 water bottles and a little pouch in the middle. Didn't bother me at all and loved having the water available for my walking breaks instead of having to break my runs to go to the fountains. Also had music this morning on a shuffle, definitely helped. I decided I would take the shuffle in my belt for emergency pick me ups during the marathon so wanted to test it out. Next week I will take the kitchen sink with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well done on your progress so far and best of luck for the marathon.

Just a quick pointer re the music. I found that up tempo music made me run too fast and therefore ruined my pacing. I now listen to podcasts for my slow runs and keep the music for my speed work or steady sessions. I find the podcasts really help to stop me from getting over excited and blowing up.

At the moment I'm actually listening to Teach Yourself German podcasts :rolleyes: but if that's not your thing I can recommend www.marathontalk.com or www.imtalk.me

pointer28 wrote: »
    At the moment I'm actually listening to Teach Yourself German podcasts :rolleyes: but if that's not your thing I can recommend www.marathontalk.com or www.imtalk.me

Languages are not my strong point (!) but am going to have a look into the podcasts, thanks for the suggestion. I heard audio books were also a good distraction for the long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Yep, audio books would also be good. Anything at all as long as it doesn't get you too excited as I found upbeat music used to do with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just came across this thread when looking for a cough (Edit: I meant couch! :p) to half-marathon log. Very impressive seeing the progress from the first posts - keep it up! ;)

Are you still using the Garmin F60? I love the idea of being able to log progress. Do you find it does distance accurately?

J o e wrote: »
    Just came across this thread when looking for a cough to half-marathon log. Very impressive seeing the progress from the first posts - keep it up! ;)

Are you still using the Garmin F60? I love the idea of being able to log progress. Do you find it does distance accurately?

Thanks Joe. yep still using the F60 and love it, love logging the runs and checking my splits. I'm happy with how it measures my distance, had to calibrate it once when I changed my runners - it was coming up a bit short compared to map my run/a running buddy's GPS watch - but since that its hit the same mile markers on all my runs.

Not as crazy about the heart rate monitor I got with it, it hasn't worked on a couple of runs, really need to fix that because it drives me crazy!

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Distance: 3.25 mi
    Time: 33:07
    Avg Pace: 10:11 min/mi

Was supposed to do 4 miles but got confused with which route that was in the park and ended up on a shorter one! Must try harder!

Advertisement