Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to NY marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Thursday

Distance: 6.00 mi
    Time: 1:06:04
    Avg Pace: 11:00 min/mi

6 miles this morning. Its getting harder to get out of bed before work, its dark now at 6am. Still warm but dark. Have been going to bed at 10pm to make up for the early starts!
    Run was ok, walked my favorite Harlem Hills again, really need to get up it.
    I have it in my head that once I run the 3.5miles up there its time for a break so need to get over that!

Friday

Was out on Thursday night and didn't really want to run. Did 1.9miles after work, felt better being able to say i did something!

Distance: 1.91 mi
    Time: 19:25
    Avg Pace: 10:11 min/mi

I love race reports and giving them a title! So today was my longest race, 10 miles in the Bronx with New York Road Runners.

Forgot to stop my watch so taking the first 10 miles from my Garmin:
    Distance: 10.00 mi
    Time: 1:45:01
    Avg Pace: 10:31min/mi

Think the race came in at around 10.1 miles though so have to wait for my race time.

Alarm went off at 6am and had a bagel and headed to the subway for the train up to the start of the race. Did my stretches and headed to the 10:30 coral.

Splits were
    1 09:46.9
    2 10:00.7
    3 10:21.0
    4 10:04.2
    5 10:23.0
    6 10:23.5
    7 10:46.7
    8 11:03.2
    9 11:37.0
    10 10:35.4

The course was lovely, an out and back on the same road and it was amazing to see all the leaders coming (I think it started when I was at mile 3 and I crossed the start line at 9 minutes so those guys are fast!). The runners on my side were cheering them on and it was really fun. First 6 miles flew by. I stayed on the outside as I was trying to spot mr es who runs about 8 minute miles. Knew better than to attempt walking before I passed him as he'd not be impressed ;) The first 5 miles actually flew by with watching the leaders coming through around the 3rd and 4th mile and then trying to spot mr es for the next couple of miles. He spotted me around mile 4 and shouted over, it gave me a little boost for the next couple of miles. Was loving it to around mile 7 and then it got really hard. I tried listening to my shuffle which helped a little, but miles 8 and 9 were really hard and my feet and calves were sore and it was getting warm. Got through them and was so relieved to pass the 9 mile marker. My bootcamp instructor always tells us anyone can do anything for 10 seconds so I adopted this for the last mile and decided anyone could do anything for 10 minutes! Spotted mr es waiting at the finishing line so had a little sprint finish and crossed the line somewhere around 1:46 i'm guessing.

Totally delighted with my time, I had 1:50 in my head and to almost get 1:45 made my day. Also had a personal best 10k time of 63.2 minutes which is a 7 minute improvement for me.

Official time was just under 1:46 with 10:36 pace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Nice going - all the hard work this summer is starting to pay off.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Distance: 5.15 mi
    Time: 50:59
    Avg Pace: 9:55min/mi

I think my watch might be a bit out of sync and it should be 5 miles at 10:12min/mil. Will need to sync it again with my 1 mile marker in the park.

5 miles on the training plan this morning. All went well, ran with a buddy and was aiming for 10 minute miles. This was a good run for me, was pretty comfortable and pace was good for me.

I got my marathon bid number and starting details yesterday. All seems very real now! Feel like I turned a little corner on Sunday and have a new determination. Hopefully I keep this up as I was struggling quite badly in my head after the 3 weeks out.

The races are really helping, they make me want to push myself a little harder. Have signed up for 2 halves in October, one week apart, first week the training plan is 12 miles and then maybe 19 the next week so they fit in ok if I can manage some extra miles after the second one. The races really help to keep it interesting, a change of scenery and the atmosphere is fun. I run alot in Central Park so its nice to head out to a different location. Obviously I am too lazy to do this unprompted on a random day but the races are a good incentive! In my defense the park is about 3 minutes from my building and has toilets, water fountains and is still busy in the am now its getting dark.

Thursday:

Distance: 5.14 mi
    Time: 1:00:21
    Avg Pace: 11:45 min/mi

Didn't have much in me today so a very slow run with a fair bit of walking. Route was quite hilly, with long gradual hills that went on for ages, not good for the mental battle I have when I run!

Few poor runs from end of last week

Friday:
    Distance: 1.94 mi
    Time: 20:08
    Avg Pace: 10:19 min/mi

Sunday:
    Distance: 5.67 mi
    Time: 1:02:01

Legs were really tired on Friday and I could barely get round 2 miles.

Sunday started off well - ran over to the Queenboro bridge which is part of the marathon course, idea was to see how difficult the bridges were to cross. I really hope I picked the worst one cos it was bloody hard! Was totally beat after going across it and back, I am still not good at long, gradual, inclines. Managed another couple of miles and in what isn't my finest running moment I just gave up and went home :( And then promptly unset my 6am alarm for bootcamp and had a protest lie in.

Wednesday

Distance: 5.02 mi
    Time: 53:33
    Avg Pace: 10:40 min/mi

New week, new start. Had a good 5 miles this morning around the park. No stopping (apart from at 4.85 miles when another runner told me my lace had come loose. Had to resist the urge to try and make it the last 0.15 miles without tripping over it and stop!).

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Sunday started off well - ran over to the Queenboro bridge which is part of the marathon course, idea was to see how difficult the bridges were to cross.

You might be interested in a run organized by the NY running center who have a group run over the last 10 miles of the marathon route in October. It's not free but it might be worth it. It starts after the QB iirc.

What is the distance across the bridge ? I'm training using the Bayonne Bridge and am curious about how it compares.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    You might be interested in a run organized by the NY running center who have a group run over the last 10 miles of the marathon route in October. It's not free but it might be worth it. It starts after the QB iirc.

What is the distance across the bridge ? I'm training using the Bayonne Bridge and am curious about how it compares.

Looking at my Garmin stats I think Queensboro is about 1.5miles each way, how does Bayonne compare?

Will look into that run.. have the Staten Island and Central Park half at the start of October (are you doing either?) but nothing else lined up.

Looking at my Garmin stats I think Queensboro is about 1.5miles each way, how does Bayonne compare?

Will look into that run.. have the Staten Island and Central Park half at the start of October (are you doing either?) but nothing else lined up.

Bayonne is 1.3 miles - 0.65 miles of pain and 0.65 miles all smiles :). I must see if I can make it over to the QB and give it a try.

I'm doing the tune up race this Sunday (18 miles around CP) but otherwise I'm still nursing my way back from injury.

I did Staten Island two years ago - hint: get an early ferry ! Last time I was entering the portoloo when the starting horn went off. I was only doing it as a pre marathon warmup otherwise I would not have been happy.

The CP half is the Grete Weitz memorial ?

Bayonne is 1.3 miles - 0.65 miles of pain and 0.65 miles all smiles :). I must see if I can make it over to the QB and give it a try.

I'm doing the tune up race this Sunday (18 miles around CP) but otherwise I'm still nursing my way back from injury.

I did Staten Island two years ago - hint: get an early ferry ! Last time I was entering the portoloo when the starting horn went off. I was only doing it as a pre marathon warmup otherwise I would not have been happy.

The CP half is the Grete Weitz memorial ?

The 18 miles was sold out when I went to book it, was gutted! I'm looking forward to it though, watching the races in the park gives me a nice distraction when I'm doing my loops

What's the Staten Island course like for hills (presuming it hasn't changed)? Wasn't going to bother signing up as I'd heard it was a bit of hassle getting out and back but there's a group of us doing it so thought I might as well and I like the change of scenery!

CP half is the GW memorial yep. A bit nervous about this one, running the 'wrong way' around the park is just so strange to me, it seems so much more hilly and tough going clockwise. Is the tune up counter clockwise?

The 18 miles was sold out when I went to book it, was gutted! I'm looking forward to it though, watching the races in the park gives me a nice distraction when I'm doing my loops

What's the Staten Island course like for hills (presuming it hasn't changed)? Wasn't going to bother signing up as I'd heard it was a bit of hassle getting out and back but there's a group of us doing it so thought I might as well and I like the change of scenery!

CP half is the GW memorial yep. A bit nervous about this one, running the 'wrong way' around the park is just so strange to me, it seems so much more hilly and tough going clockwise. Is the tune up counter clockwise?

There's a wrong way :D ? I thought only the resevoir was "one-way-only".
    To me counter clockwise is tougher because both Harlem Hill and Cat Hill are steeper coming that direction. Clockwise the hills are longer but not as steep ..... so it all evens out in the end.

Check out this for the SI half. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52482210
    View splits will give you the elevation.

My recollection is that the only real hill was a long climb around mile 8/9 - you'll run down in on the opposite side of the road. That's the only part of the course I remember as being tough.

There's a wrong way :D ? I thought only the resevoir was "one-way-only".
    To me counter clockwise is tougher because both Harlem Hill and Cat Hill are steeper coming that direction. Clockwise the hills are longer but not as steep ..... so it all evens out in the end.

Check out this for the SI half. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52482210
    View splits will give you the elevation.

My recollection is that the only real hill was a long climb around mile 8/9 - you'll run down in on the opposite side of the road. That's the only part of the course I remember as being tough.

One hill I can manage, though it is the long climbs that get me - Cat Hill, no worries, Harlem Hill - still haven't ran the whole way up it yet, one for the weekend I guess!

Thursday

Distance: 4.33 mi
    Time: 45:01
    Avg Pace: 10:24 min/mi

Was overcome by laziness this morning and slept right through my running alarm. I love running in the mornings, most mornings there are no cars in the park, its generally just the runners and dog walkers. Really don't like having the thought of running in my head all day (unless its to discuss at length how many miles I've done and how they were with everyone who will listen) and I'm always starving by the end of work. Rushed home from work, grabbed a bagel and made it out by 6:30pm. I knew at that point that I wouldn't be able to fit in my 8 miles, it gets completely dark by 7:30pm and I have no reflective gear so settled for a 4 mile loop that would have me back to the start before it got too dark.

4 miles were ok - calves, ankles and hip all are a bit achey when I start out these days but generally get into my stride about 2 miles in. Had a lovely run around the reservoir, is always nice to see the lights of the city at dusk. Although will be setting multiple alarms from now own, one evening run is enough for me!

Distance: 3.01 mi
    Time: 29:31
    Avg Pace: 9:50 min/mi

Short run this afternoon in the park. Legs were ok but was out for drinks last night and I always feel a bit shaky running. Probably all in my head but will cut it out with a month to go to give myself the best fighting chance!

Am pleased to get 3 miles out today, usually my legs are like lead on a Friday.

Sunday

Distance: 12.03 mi
    Time: 2:18:01
    Avg Pace: 11:30 min/mi

Wednesday

Distance: 5.00 mi
    Time: 53:41
    Avg Pace: 10:44 min/mi

In bad news my injury is acting up again :( I was out for 3 weeks at the beginning of August with pains in my hip/leg, went to the PT after no improvement with a week of rest and it was my piriformis muscle. They gave me some stretches and strengthening exercises to do. In the end, it was a long foam rolling session and some serious kneading with an elbow that seemed to fix it.
    It was uncomfortable on Monday and Tuesday so went to the gym last night and did some serious foam rolling (on a side note, it is a bit odd being in an open gym foam rolling my bottom!). It feels a bit bruised today but hopefully it will sort itself out. The 5 miles this morning were ok, suppose I wasn't lifting my sore leg as much as I would normally but it wasn't painful. Am hopeful that it will sort itself out again. The stress....

Also turned or slept funny and have a dodgy shoulder so feeling like a bit of a write off. When Mr ES woke me up this morning I was having a lovely dream about sore bums and shoulders and I was just about to get an injection for them, wish he'd given me 5 more minutes I might have been fixed!

Missed two days training but left side feels on the mend. Felt almost ready for the 5 miles this morning but didn't want to risk it as wasn't 100%.

Went for a sports massage this evening, I'm hopeful it helped. Took a lot of deep breathing to get through an elbow kneading my bum!!

Fingers crossed for a successful run on Sunday

Sunday

Distance: 13.51 mi
    Time: 2:30:22
    Avg Pace: 11:07 min/mi

Longest run ever, yay!! Massage, foam rolling and stretching worked and I was able to do my long run today. Took a different route and went around the outside of Manhattan, such a nice change of scenery. And so flat compared to the park, I didn't really realize the park was so hilly.

This was easily my best run, only one stop after 8 miles for a bathroom break. Had a bagel before I started because last week I was starving. Also had my first gel - chocolate flavoured, tasted like irish chocolate so can't complain :), one belt bottle of water and one of electrolyte water (like Gatorade but without the calories).

It did hurt toward the end, my feet were tired. On the West Side Highway, every street is signposted, was a bit of a drag seeing 4th street and knowing i still have 55 more to go! Finished with a nice big hill back up to the park and am now off for a cold soak.

Mr ES ran with me this morning, neither of us fancied me running around by the river by myself at 6am. We never normally run together as he's a few min/mile faster and when we did try it usually ended up in an almost breakup when I tried to stop every 5 minutes ;) I think he was secretly impressed with me this morning!

So all in all an excellent morning.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Time: 50:16
    Avg Pace: 10:03 min/mi

Had to run at 630pm instead of my usual morning run. Always feel like I'm playing with the grown ups on evening runs, everyone is so fast and serious! Saw a guy running in string flip flops, usually come across some bare foot runners but flip flops is new to me.

The 5 miles were fine, was much more out of breath than usual but didn't have to stop. Legs were ok after the long run on Sunday but was still glad to see the finish line

Forgot to include my favourite running bit of the day - my new marathon runners arrived in the mail, same ones as I have now but in a nicer colour :)

Wednesday

Distance: 3.50 mi
    Time: 40:18
    Avg Pace: 11:31 min/mi

Distance: 13.10 mi
    Time: 2:21:11
    Avg Pace: 10:43 min/mi
    10k split: 1:03:54

My first half marathon race this morning up in Staten Island. I was out shopping yesterday and I reckon I walked about 10 miles in shoes which looked nice but weren't so kind to my feet! Had a 530 start to get the ferry over for the race at 830. It was pretty chilly, really nice for running but I was grateful for my warm clothes before and after!

Had a good run, it was a little hilly, nothing too steep but lots of gradual slopes. Was pleased not to have to stop much - only had to stop for a toilet break and a gel at mile 8, there was a queue and it took nearly 5 minutes. I'm not sure if I would have such a long walking break at this point but I didn't like fully stopping for so long. My legs were like lead when I started up again, it took about half a mile to feel them again!

There was a short steep bridge at about 12.5 miles and I sprinted up it to get it over and done with. When I got over the top my legs went all jelly like, I had a minute or so of panic that I was going to fall over, was so relieved when it passed! Won't be doing that again!

Lots of nice support on the course, my favourite sign of the day 'you're feet are hurting because you're kicking so much ass'. Got me round the final bend with a spring in my step!

Am now happily on the couch having chicken wings and a beer. Am out tonight and then on my best behaviour for the next 4 weeks :)

Wednesday

Time: 50:07
    Avg Pace: 10:01 min/mi

Good run this morning. Was in bed at 9pm ready for a 6am start, am definitely on my best behaviour!! It was dark and rainy and although I didn't feel it at the time I am glad it was raining - if it rains in the marathon I needed to be sure I won't melt!!

Almost broke 50 mins, damn 7 seconds! I wasn't aiming for a fast run (for me) but I had my sleeves over my watch and didn't know until I'd stopped.

Thursday

Distance: 5.01 mi
    Time: 48:13
    Avg Pace: 9:41 min/mi

Bit of a fast one for me this morning! I think its a combination of trying to put in as much as possible when I still have time and the cold, dark weather encouraging me to move along!

I found it tough, I really had to focus on my breathing especially on the hills. But I'm hoping that pushing myself on the short runs will stand to me over the next month.

Friday
    Swimming

Saturday
    cycling

Decided on some cross training to finish of the week as I have a half marathon tomorrow and wanted my legs to be fresh as its quite hilly. Plan is to aim for 12 minute miles. For some reason I feel like I've been sitting on the couch for the last 6 months and am not fit at all. I don't know what is up with that!!

Friday
    Swimming

Saturday
    cycling

Decided on some cross training to finish of the week as I have a half marathon tomorrow and wanted my legs to be fresh as its quite hilly. Plan is to aim for 12 minute miles. For some reason I feel like I've been sitting on the couch for the last 6 months and am not fit at all. I don't know what is up with that!!

Best of luck with Grete"s

Best of luck with Grete"s

Thank you! It went well!

Distance: 17.13 mi
    Time: 3:15:45

Did some extra miles before the race started as I knew I would struggle after, timed it so I would hit the start line to start running. Race was 2 loops around Central Park. I find the route pretty hilly, only one real flat bit for half a mile down the east side so good training. Had to walk up one hill at mile 14 (mile 10 in the race), my left foot arch was hurting and as it had it, it was good timing, it allowed me to walk up the biggest hill on the second time round!

Really started to struggle around mile 16, unknown territory for me and I was hurting quite badly at this point. Last half mile was up hill, nothing major but I really had to focus to get through it. I think was is the same finish line as the marathon and if it is, why the heck did they put it on a hill?! As soon as I finished I really hurt from the waist down but starting to come round now. Not sure what my time was, I was really just focusing on getting to the end. Maybe somewhere around 2 hours 40 minutes but will find out later when they publish the results.

Am delighted to have 17 miles done, its not ideal that I didn't make it to 20. The plan has 12 miles for next weekend and 8 miles the weekend after that. Then the next weekend is the marathon. Not sure if I should stick to the plan or try to do another longer run. My intention at the minute is to stick to the plan rather than push for another 3 miles. Hopefully that is the best strategy at this point.

• Advertisement

Official time for the half was 2:32. Well impressed, felt like I was going much more slowly!

Advertisement