Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for Plastic Bottles..!!

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have a load of plastic bottles, I was wondering is there anywhere I can bring these and get a few extra euros ??
    Have about 100 +..!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not as far as i know

bring them to a recycling plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Not in Ireland, its a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Try to bring them to Germany, 25 Cent each. The recycling scheme for cans and plastic bottles was introduced over 10 years ago over there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Try to bring them to Germany, 25 Cent each. The recycling scheme for cans and plastic bottles was introduced over 10 years ago over there ;)

They have to be "Pfandflasche" and any bottle sold in Ireland apart from maybe one or two German multivitamin drinks aren't.

KTRIC wrote: »
    They have to be "Pfandflasche" and any bottle sold in Ireland apart from maybe one or two German multivitamin drinks aren't.

Sorry, I thought, plastic bottles bought in any Aldi or Lidl in Ireland would be accepted by Aldi or Lidl in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So: 100 bottles transported to Germany will sell for €25.....

How much will it cost to transport them? :p

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Fill them full of wee and then scatter them around Glanmire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Make a scarecrow out of them and you will have a real plastic paddy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

In the UK, tesco have a reward system where you recycle your plastic bottles and get tesco club card points - pity again they don't do that here

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Sorry, I thought, plastic bottles bought in any Aldi or Lidl in Ireland would be accepted by Aldi or Lidl in Germany.

Not unless they have this symbol:

196924.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pfft, 10 years, they've been doing this in Norway since 1902! Of course what no one is telling you about this "free money" is that you've already paid it as part of the purchase price.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Pfft, 10 years, they've been doing this in Norway since 1902! Of course what no one is telling you about this "free money" is that you've already paid it as part of the purchase price.

Since 1902 in Norway? :eek:

Anyway, when I was living in Germany, it was always fun, to walk down the road, looking for empty cans after football matches. Sometimes, I could by some fresh cans from the money, I got for bringing back other people's cans to the shops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Esel wrote: »
    So: 100 bottles transported to Germany will sell for €25.....

How much will it cost to transport them? :p

keep gathering more plastic bottles then glue them all together to make a plastic bottle raft then sail to germany.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anyway, when I was living in Germany, it was always fun, to walk down the road, looking for empty cans after football matches. Sometimes, I could by some fresh cans from the money, I got for bringing back other people's cans to the shops :D

That takes some accustomising to though.

When I was living in Munich I had to get the ubahn beyond the Allianz Arena anytime where they usually terminated on a match night. It saw scores of people waiting for the trains of fans to empty and then checking the bins. Huge bags of reclaimed plastic softdrinks and glass beer bottles carried by couples..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

It'd have homeless up out of doorways and out earning their beggings thru rubbish collection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I noticed this in malta..beggar-type people would come up to you and ask for your empties if you had a bottle of Kinnie or whatever..i presume it was worth thier while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

These bottles are a national scourge. They are shoved behind every letterbox, DART & bus seat, you name it they are there. If Ireland were to introduce a deposit return system our litter problem would be halved (at least) in seconds flat.

I have contacted the department of the environment several times asking them to look at addressing this problem, and I urge others to do so.

The response I received from the Minister's office was very weak, and tbh all it was a copy and pasted quote from some standard manifest mainly pushing the onus back on the local authority to take ownership of recycling waste which will not work in this case. I followed up with a phone call to the office and did get a call back from a representative who explained that there is a new waste policy being drawn up and 'everything' is being considered including the bottle return system.

I wasn't convinced at all, (I hope I'm wrong) and therefore urge others to email them and gently nip at their heels as to what is being done about the national plastic bottle scourge.

Email address is: MINISTER@environ.ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0jA3pAj5VI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

They are floating in every waterway and in the undergrowth in every park. I've been on to my local councillors about it - without any response at all.

Linky

Linky 2

The contents of a dead bird's stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Zombie Thread, locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement