Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all pubs closed on Good Friday? Religious law = discrimination?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Lets say I was an atheist or agnostic publican. Why should I be forced to close my pub for a religion I am not a part of?

What would happen if I decided to refuse to keep my pub closed and have it open for all non Christian/religious people to attend at their leisure for a day.

I mean does it really have to take an action such as this before people really begin to force this backward law out of our country?

Its getting ridiculous now, it's 2012 ffs.... we are supposed to be a modern country with enlightened people. There is a lot of discrimination for the non religious as is in the country. I mean serious issues like the school system and abortion that make this pub thing seem like such a silly topic.

But really, often all it needs is a stand to be taken on the silly little things for it to have a domino effect on all the other backward bull**** this country needs to get over and put in the past.

It's fuckin embarrassing at times.

Would anyone out there really be that offended by removing such a law? To allow for pub owners who do not consider themselves Christian to be able to stay open if they so wish?

There would be nothing stopping the religious establishments remaining closed if they so wish.

Which would/does offend you more? 224 votes

Being ruled by a religious law every good Friday.
    0% 0 votes
    The idea of changing the law on selling alcohol on Good Friday.
    100% 224 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

so we dont get LOCKED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's known as varnishing day in most pubs around here.

Don't think many of them are all that unhappy about closing for a day tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Where To wrote: »
    It's known as varnishing day in most pubs around here.

Don't think many of them are all that unhappy about closing for a day tbh.

They could still close if they wish, but being forced to close for religious reasons is wrong.

This is what it comes down to. Right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I clicked the second option instead of the first by accident so its -1 to option 2, and +1 to KEEP THEM OPEN! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And why can't I use a bank on a bank holiday? It's my day off and I should be able to use the bank if I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sisko wrote: »
    Its getting ridiculous now, it's 2012 ffs.... we are supposed to be a modern country with enlightened people. There is a lot of discrimination for the non religious as is in the country..

Most of the western world appreciates Sunday as a family/rest day. Do you want to scrap that too? Maybe turn Tuesday into the new weekend. Do you work Christmas? Easter?

humanji wrote: »
    And why can't I use a bank on a bank holiday? It's my day off and I should be able to use the bank if I want to.

Are banks being forced to close by the Government for religious reasons?

If a bank decided to stay open... what would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

OP - Are you an alcoholic? Because you know there's people who could help you like :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

There's no law stating they have to close, there's only a law stating they can't sell alcohol on that day.
    I remeber during the Rugby World Cup last year some pubs opened at 6 or 7 in the morning, selling soft drinks & tea/coffee.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Most of the western world appreciates Sunday as a family/rest day. Do you want to scrap that too? Maybe turn Tuesday into the new weekend. Do you work Christmas? Easter?

Straw man. I can do that too.

Do you really think your religious laws will be enforced forever as this country gets more enlightened as the years move on?

As far as I'm concerned , its a matter of time. Just like allowing divorce was a matter of time, or how it was against to the law to be gay at one stage.

Eventually the ignorant people die out and the more educated and enlightened kids grow up. It's just embarrassing this has yet to happen in this day and age.

But it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its one day - get pissed on thursday and sleep all day friday

it shouldnt be linked to a cult that is thankfully dying out

Straw man. I can do that too..

It's not a straw man it was an easy question..
    Eventually the ignorant people die out and the more educated and enlightened kids grow up. It's just embarrassing..l.

When will the educated and enlightened kids stop starting threads that were done yesterday IIRC? As for "your religious laws" I couldn't give a toss if you were enjoying a nice cold pint on Good Friday in a pub or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The only thing that pisses me off about pubs being closed on Good Friday is the big rush on Thursday to get cans. Fúck off ye shower of dummys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can the religious not be enlightened and educated folk too? Are are they all just backward cave dwellers.

There's no law stating they have to close, there's only a law stating they can't sell alcohol on that day.
    I remeber during the Rugby World Cup last year some pubs opened at 6 or 7 in the morning, selling soft drinks & tea/coffee.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

It's the law and that's it.
    You could question any law - why not smoke in pubs, why is there a closing time etc. As long as it's the law it applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

baz2009 wrote: »
    The only thing that pisses me off about pubs being closed on Good Friday is the big rush on Thursday to get cans. Fúck off ye shower of dummys.

Ya it's annoying when people get in my way when I want to buy cans. Qeueing is soooooo boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How come the God squad on this thread are not saying the rosary before bedtime? Disgraceful behaviour, to be on boards at this hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I can understand a lot of pubs liking the day off and that's fair enough but the fact that there is a religious day, even one, where I'm not allowed buy alcohol is quite insulting.

Off licenses should be allowed sell alcohol, pubs who want to close can close, pubs who want to stay open should stay open and non religious people should be left to live their lives free of this fascism.

• Advertisement

OP - Are you an alcoholic? Because you know there's people who could help you like :cool:

Hehe no. I don't really drink that much and probably would not drink on Good Friday anyway as I tend to drink on Saturdays :p
    Indeed, that's obviously what I'm talking about. A pub standing up and selling alcohol on Good Friday on the grounds that the owner is not Religious that is.
    its one day - get pissed on thursday and sleep all day friday

This is not the point though, the "ah sure its grand tis only one day" thing is not a great attitude to have in terms of social progress. It doesn't matter of its one hour. Its wrong.

When will the educated and enlightened kids stop starting threads that were done yesterday IIRC?

Not until the issue is resolved obviously? :confused:

Then we move on to the next topic :)

gurramok wrote: »
    How come the God squad on this thread are not saying the rosary before bedtime? Disgraceful behaviour, to be on boards at this hour!

Who exactly is the God squad on this thread? I don't see anyone backing the law on religious grounds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Traditional values and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Home rule is Rome rule

This is not the point though, the "ah sure its grand tis only one day" thing is not a great attitude to have in terms of social progress. It doesn't matter of its one hour. Its wrong.

Having access to alcohol in a pub 365 days isn't exactly an example of social progress either. Especially when we see the results of our attitudes towards drinking
    Not until the issue is resolved obviously? :confused:Then we move on to the next topic :)

So start numerous threads on the same subject. Not very enlightened or educated.

oh i agree with you. dont under estimate how much i despise the catholic cult

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Traditional values and all that.

Like women should stay in the kitchen on not vote.

People should not be allowed to divorce even if they want to?

And so on and so forth.
    JoeGil wrote: »
    It's the law and that's it.

Ha! Very dangerous attitude to have. So all laws should always remind law no matter how archaic?

Don't question anything. Just accept and move on. Hear no evil see no evil and so forth...

Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Who exactly is the God squad on this thread? I don't see anyone backing the law on religious grounds..

8 votes so far on the pro-religious side, where you one?

gurramok wrote: »
    8 votes so far on the pro-religious side, where you one?

You know there are more reasons not to repeal the law than religion? Yes? As stated above on the thread many pubs use the day for renovations etc. Many barstaff and family owned/run bars use the day to you know spend at least one day together where nobody has to work. Move the day from Good Friday to any other and the support to have them closed would still be there by a sizeable group of people.

And no I haven't voted on the poll, because I am ambivalent to the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

:confused:

I'm pretty sure there are MANY places of work open Sundays. Wouldn't it be handy if even that sacred institution (banks) had to open on a Saturday OR Sunday? Beats trying to get to the bank on lunch hour.

Advertisement