Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all pubs closed on Good Friday? Religious law = discrimination?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sisko wrote: »
    Like women should stay in the kitchen on not vote.

People should not be allowed to divorce even if they want to?

And so on and so forth.

Ha! Very dangerous attitude to have. So all laws should always remind law no matter how archaic?

Don't question anything. Just accept and move on. Hear no evil see no evil and so forth...

Not good.
    The Irish Republic was built on Roman Catholic values and foundations. You can't have it both ways. You either accept the rule of law or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

prinz wrote: »
    Having access to alcohol in a pub 365 days isn't exactly an example of social progress either. Especially when we see the results of our attitudes towards drinking

Irrelevant. Its banned for Religious reason and nothing more. This should not happen in a socially progressive society.

Banning alcohol for a single day does not solve Ireland's problem with alcohol either, in any shape or form. Though that is a different topic all together.
    So start numerous threads on the same subject. Not very enlightened or educated.

It is more so than criticizing any discussion on the matter at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

You know there are more reasons not to repeal the law than religion? Yes? As stated above on the thread many pubs use the day for renovations etc. Many barstaff and family owned/run bars use the day to you know spend at least one day together where nobody has to work.

And no I haven't voted on the poll, because I am ambivalent to the whole thing.
    Sorry Prinz but the Friday before easter is neither a Bank nor Public holiday and plenty of people have to work on it, in work terms it is just another day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

We have abandoned enough of our Christian heritage and traditions without allowing pubs to be open on Good Friday, the day of Our Lord's Passion.

I am sure that bar staff appreciate at least one day off over Easter to be with their families and relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You know there are more reasons not to repeal the law than religion? Yes? As stated above on the thread many pubs use the day for renovations etc. Many barstaff and family owned/run bars use the day to you know spend at least one day together where nobody has to work. Move the day from Good Friday to any other and the support to have them closed would still be there by a sizeable group of people.

And no I haven't voted on the poll, because I am ambivalent to the whole thing.

Thats up to the employer and employees of said establishment if they like to open on Good Friday or any day of the year.

Its not up to the Catholic cult to decide on what a pub should do on a certain day of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

JoeGil wrote: »
    It's the law and that's it.
    You could question any law - why not smoke in pubs, why is there a closing time etc. As long as it's the law it applies.

SOPA? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Irrelevant. Its banned for Religious reason and nothing more. This should not happen in a socially progressive society.

So no more Christmas holidays either? I mean it would be socially progressive if we had no holidays whatsoever with a religious connection.
    It is more so than criticizing any discussion on the matter at least.

Discussion is welcome. Ignorant self-grandising stereotyping isn't.

gurramok wrote: »
    Its not up to the Catholic cult to decide on what a pub should do on a certain day of the year.

It isn't. It's up to the government...

Clareboy wrote: »
    We have abandoned enough of our Christian heritage and traditions without allowing pubs to be open on Good Friday, the day of Our Lord's Passion.

How dare you enforce your Religious beliefs onto me and others.

I question your morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The Irish Republic was built on Roman Catholic values and foundations. You can't have it both ways. You either accept the rule of law or you don't.

:D:D:D:D:D

Nice to see Keith sticking up for us Irish Catholics.

• Advertisement

It isn't. It's up to the government...

A law last updated in 1928 when the Catholic Church ruled the newly independent state via its subordinate political parties.

You're right, thank f*** Labour are in govt and hopefully they do something about this religious law. The Limerick publicans set a precedent in 2010 so thankfully you agree they were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Fuck sake, this thread, AGAIN.

You're right, thank f*** Labour are in govt and hopefully they do something about this religious law. The Limerick publicans set a precedent in 2010 so thankfully you agree they were right.

I love a nice pint me ;) any day of the year I choose to have one.

Fuck sake, this thread, AGAIN.

Damn straight. Expect it next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Shhhhhhhhh! If people discuss this topic they'll forget to start numerous threads about dole scroungers, public servants and tv licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I can understand a lot of pubs liking the day off and that's fair enough but the fact that there is a religious day, even one, where I'm not allowed buy alcohol is quite insulting.

Off licenses should be allowed sell alcohol, pubs who want to close can close, pubs who want to stay open should stay open and non religious people should be left to live their lives free of this fascism.

Well, in fairness you get a day off work due it being a religious holiday...so I guess if you want the pubs open then you have to go to work as well.

Whenever i see threads giving out about pubs being closed on Good Friday people never seem to cop to the fact that they'd normally be in work that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

:D:D:D:D:D

Nice to see Keith sticking up for us Irish Catholics.
    It is more of the hypocrisy of it really. Love the country but don't like the foundations which built the country up and is written into law. Like I said, you either accept that or you don't. It is the rule of law.

Damn straight. Expect it next year too.

I was expecting it next year, yesterday and yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Clareboy wrote: »

I am sure that bar staff appreciate at least one day off over Easter to be with their families and relax.

Then why not close everything?

Why just alcohol?

Why do other people have to work on this day if it's such a day to be respected?

Why does this country in 2012 still obey laws laid down in the ****ing Bronze age?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Then why not close everything?

Why just alcohol?

Why do other people have to work on this day if it's such a day to be respected?

Why does this country in 2012 still obey laws laid down in the ****ing Bronze age?!

I've never had a job where i had to work Good Friday I have to say.

• Advertisement

A lot of people don't. I don't have to work GF. Business chooses to close down for the day, bonus holiday.

Yeah we should all be killing and stealing man. Totally enlightened and socially progressive eh.

I love a nice pint me ;) any day of the year I choose to have one.

I don't attend mass but i'd shake your hand when they say 'sign of the peace to serve Zod' ;):)

I don't attend mass but i'd shake your hand when they say 'sign of the peace to serve Zod' ;):)

I'll be flying this Good Friday, I can't remember if Aer Lingus serves in the air :pac: I usually have a drink of two when I fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

SOPA? :pac:

There are always laws which some people disagree with.
    But if everbody just started living by the laws they agree with Joe Duffy wouldn't have enough phone lines to cope with the whingers. :pac:

Can I ask though I mean what would people think would happen if, literally some pub refused to obey the law and take a stand? On grounds that they owner is not Religious?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thought pubs were allowed open on good friday now, after that rugby thing, surely they can't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

This is an annual thread so I expect people to be dismissive but where did the rush to put forward all the dumbest counter arguments come from.

I don't care is or, it's tradition or, I'm a god fearing catholic are all quite reasonable arguments but...

It's only one day, why are you complaining?
    Just get cans!
    Would you deny the publicans a day off??
    What, are you some sort of raging alcoholic?
    It's the law, no point in arguing about it?

Surely the prerequisites to actually post a response(acquiring a computer, navigating the intertubes, registering) should weed out these sloped brow halfwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

Where To wrote: »
    It's known as varnishing day in most pubs around here.

Don't think many of them are all that unhappy about closing for a day tbh.

i was talking to few local pub owners and they don't want law changed.
    they see it as a family day,if people want they can drink at home.

humbert wrote: »
    This is an annual thread so I expect people to be dismissive but where did the rush to put forward all the dumbest counter arguments come from.
    Surely the prerequisites to actually post a response(acquiring a computer, navigating the intertubes, registering) should weed out these sloped brow halfwits.

Can you think of any smarter counter arguments Humbert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bladespin wrote: »
    Thought pubs were allowed open on good friday now, after that rugby thing, surely they can't go back.

That was a once off special licence in Limerick.

Advertisement