Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all pubs closed on Good Friday? Religious law = discrimination?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sisko wrote: »
    Can I ask though I mean what would people think would happen if, literally some pub refused to obey the law and take a stand? On grounds that they owner is not Religious?

They'd get treated like anyone else caught breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

humbert wrote: »
    This is an annual thread so I expect people to be dismissive but where did the rush to put forward all the dumbest counter arguments come from.

I don't care is or, it's tradition or, I'm a god fearing catholic are all quite reasonable arguments but...

It's only one day, why are you complaining?
    Just get cans!
    Would you deny the publicans a day off??
    What, are you some sort of raging alcoholic?
    It's the law, no point in arguing about it?

Surely the prerequisites to actually post a response(acquiring a computer, navigating the intertubes, registering) should weed out these sloped brow halfwits.

It's not about being an alcoholic at all. It's being told, as taxpaying adult citizens, that we CANNOT buy drink on this specific day, because a pedo cult has a "special day". I don't care about the ****ing church so why is it's calendar being forced on me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

prinz wrote: »
    Can you think of any smarter counter arguments Humbert?

There are three sentences and a list in my post and you missed one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I've never had a job where i had to work Good Friday I have to say.

Well Good for you. It was probably your favourite Friday too. Buy an ice cream.

Anyone working shift in factories that run 24/7 has. Not to mention all the other occupations that work that day and every other 'supernaturally special' day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yeah we should all be killing and stealing man. Totally enlightened and socially progressive eh.
    Stupid comment. You don't need laws to do that, especially not ones that are written on some fictitious stone tablet. The laws of a republic should be totally separate to religious ones, particularly if those religions call for racism, homophobia, misogyny and genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

How dare you enforce your Religious beliefs onto me and others.

I question your morality.

I am not forcing my religious beliefs on anyone, but surely we can survive at least two days in the year without going to a pub.

So "it's a tradition" is a valid argument but "it's a law" isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Clareboy wrote: »
    We have abandoned enough of our Christian heritage and traditions without allowing pubs to be open on Good Friday, the day of Our Lord's Passion.

Your lord, not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I am not forcing my religious beliefs on anyone, but surely we can survive at least two days in the year without going to a pub.

Surely we can survive without forcing religious laws onto people no?

Again, it's about right and wrong. Disallowing people to purchase alcohol because of your religion is wrong.

Would it really effect you if the non religious were not forced to follow your laws?

Why can't you just follow your religion without having to have the state enforce ignorant laws onto everyone?

Justify this to me, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

DarkJager wrote: »
    It's not about being an alcoholic at all. It's being told, as taxpaying adult citizens, that we CANNOT buy drink on this specific day, because a pedo cult has a "special day". I don't care about the ****ing church so why is it's calendar being forced on me?

You've misinterpreted my post.

• Advertisement

Yeah we should all be killing and stealing man. Totally enlightened and socially progressive eh.

What are you smokin? Seriously, it seems deadly.

I is not we. (some us aren't christian)

What are you smokin? Seriously, it seems deadly.

Sorry when the poster mentioned bronze age religious laws I assumed they were referring to the likes of the 10 Commandments. I didn't know the old Bronze Age people were legislating on when you could serve alcohol in the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

So "it's a tradition" is a valid argument but "it's a law" isn't?
    Neither is a valid argument.
    Pubs can stay open or closed if they want,or should be allowed, whichever.
    With choice, neither side gets pissed off. Without choice, one side does.

So, from the poll, it looks like a sizable amount of brainless twits want to piss on other people's parade for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Eventually the ignorant people die out and the more educated and enlightened kids grow up. It's just embarrassing this has yet to happen in this day and age.

Which aspect of society today makes you believe that the youth of today are more educated and enlightened? What criteria to you use for judging this?

Face it. We're destined to repeat the same mistakes as our parents and generations before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yopyop

I understand that people want to enjoy going to the pub on a Friday, but on good Friday I have noticed that people feel its a forbidden thing so they actually drink more than usual!! Kinda stupid.

I agree that no one should be forced into anything due to religious reasons even if they are non religious or non catholic! But we have to remember, we are still a very young country and stuff like moving away from laws like that take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Which aspect of society today makes you believe that the youth of today are more educated and enlightened? What criteria to you use for judging this?

Face it. We're destined to repeat the same mistakes as our parents and generations before.

Well the fact that if I brought up a topic like this 40 years ago I probably would have been physically assaulted for one. The idea of a kid going to a non religious school would have been extremely taboo.

We live in the information age now. People are far more informed now then they were 2 decades ago. What do you think people will be like 2 decades from now?

You can try to pretend things are not progressing but all you have to do is look at how things used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

A lot of people don't. I don't have to work GF. Business chooses to close down for the day, bonus holiday.

Lucky you. Not so for everyone though.

As for your second nugget.....damn..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

m@cc@ wrote: »

So it's give up, shut up and get back in line?

Bull****, if that was the case we'd still be living in caves trying to figure out ways to not piss off the big, glowing ball in the sky and dying before we hit our thirties.

We live in the information age now. People are far more informed now then they were 2 decades ago. What do you think people will be like 2 decades from now? You can try to pretend things are not progressing but all you have to do is look at how things used to be.

People were saying the same thing in 1914, they were saying the same thing in 1939... people have been saying that for centuries. We always repeat the same shíte though.
    Lucky you. Not so for everyone though...

And? :confused:

As a matter of interest are either of you volunteering to work on Monday? After all St Patricks Day is a religious inspired holiday, why no complaints there? Why should I have to take a day off because of religious holidays, maybe I want to work and take a day off some other time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Are banks being forced to close by the Government for religious reasons?

If a bank decided to stay open... what would happen?

The same thing add if a bar stayed open on Good Friday.

personally I want Good Friday to stay as it is. Nothing to do with religion. Nothing to do with what may be best for society. But because it's a national institution. Just like Christmas and Paddy's day. Think about what's associated with it: the panic buy on Thursday, the bar staff being able to have a laugh together without having to deal with a drunken c*NT, a day where you can do anything but go to a pub, and most importantly these endlessly repeating thread's that always crop up and never have anything new to add.

If you object to the law then actually do something about it that could actually achieve something. Starting the yearly "why are pubs closed on Good Friday" thread isn't the way to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Well the fact that if I brought up a topic like this 40 years ago I probably would have been physically assaulted for one. The idea of a kid going to a non religious school would have been extremely taboo.

We live in the information age now. People are far more informed now then they were 2 decades ago. What do you think people will be like 2 decades from now?

You can try to pretend things are not progressing but all you have to do is look at how things used to be.

Progressing how? I'm not a religious type of anything like that but your previous statement about believing that somehow we working towards a more progressive society is BS.

What we're working towards is a more self-centred money-orientated society that is just as morally corrupt if not more so than at any time in the past 50 years.
    So it's give up, shut up and get back in line?

Bull****, if that was the case we'd still be living in caves trying to figure out ways to not piss off the big, glowing ball in the sky and dying before we hit our thirties.

I never even came near to saying that, you took what you wanted to get on your soapbox. You should always look to progress but don't necessarily assume you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

guys! guys! can't we all just try to get along with each other...over a few beers

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I'm always amazed at the amount of people who wouldn't normally drink on a Friday, that go to the off licence to stock up on holy Thursday. It's like beer will never be available to them again .

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

Sorry when the poster mentioned bronze age religious laws I assumed they were referring to the likes of the 10 Commandments. I didn't know the old Bronze Age people were legislating on when you could serve alcohol in the Republic of Ireland.

They're not. It's just a bunch of lads from the 1920's doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

Its embarassing to see bewildered tourists & stag & hen parties wandering the streets of a modern day capital after paying a fortune to get here & they can't have a pint,it really does live up to the holy bejeasus irish stereotype,some people work saturdays & sundays every week so their denied a pint when they feel like it,i don't but the argument sure its one day,it's about freedom of choice & i choose not to believe in a big man who lives on a cloud,but i'm not going to force my views or way of life on you so i'd think it very christian of the god squad to respect my way of life
    amen

the scrote wrote: »
    Its embarassing to see bewildered tourists & stag & hen parties wandering the streets of a modern day capital after paying a fortune to get here & they can't have a pint,it really does live up to the holy bejeasus irish stereotype,some people work saturdays & sundays every week so their denied a pint when they feel like it,i don't but the argument sure its one day,it's about freedom of choice & i choose not to believe in a big man who lives on a cloud,but i'm not going to force my views or way of life on you so i'd think it very christian of the god squad to respect my way of life
    amen
    It's not embarrassing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Lads, at the last supper (apart from Tom Hanks messing with everyone's heads)...what did Jesus have with his bread? Wine...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The local dealer is still open. Maybe instead of drink buy some Heroin!

• Advertisement

Lads, at the last supper (apart from Tom Hanks messing with everyone's heads)...what did Jesus have with his bread? Wine...
    He wasn't Catholic or Irish.

Advertisement