Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all pubs closed on Good Friday? Religious law = discrimination?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

humanji wrote: »
    It's not embarrassing at all.

for you maybe,i work in the uk & when people ask me about it as if its an urban legend,they can't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

the scrote wrote: »
    for you maybe,i work in the uk & when people ask me about it as if its an urban legend,they can't believe it

Ask them how many horse races they go to on Good Friday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7308075.stm

prinz wrote: »
    Ask them how many horse races they go to on Good Friday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7308075.stm

Quiet a few go horse racing on good friday as the on course bookmakers were allowed open along with been able to place a bet online if they want & at least they have changed the law now after seeing the error of thier ways,listen if you don't agree with pubs opening don't go to the pub that day it's simple,don't you think we should keep restaurants closed during daylight hours during ramadan because its someones religious beliefs that they should refrain from eating during the day?where does it say in your book that applies to your beliefs & not mine that you can have a beer on good friday but not in a pub.

I don't think there's anything sadder than the night before Good Friday when people all across the country fill their baskets with enough alcohol to last a month to get them through Good Friday. It's like a scene out of some post apocalyptic film only with water and canned food replaced by cans of Dutch and Kinsey Vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Quiet a few go horse racing on good friday as the on course bookmakers were allowed open along with been able to place a bet online if they want & at least they have changed the law now after seeing the error of thier ways

That's odd seeing as how there is no official horseracing meets in the UK on Good Friday. Must try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 California Man

Ingenious law by backward Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

so how come your able to get a drink airside in the airport,on an irishferry,or even as a resident in a hotel on GF if alcohol isn't allowed to be served

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

HAHAHA silly people. These days are deseigne by the off licences to make a fortune . Even non drinkers buy a tray for good friday just incase. Its probably the best day of the year for carryout along with the christmas eve.
    If they did away with the ban on drink on these days theyd get 5 regulars propping up the bar for the day .

Quiet a few go horse racing on good friday as the on course bookmakers were allowed open along with been able to place a bet online if they want & at least they have changed the law now after seeing the error of thier ways

That's odd seeing as how there is no official horseracing meets in the UK on Good Friday. Must try harder.

Fair enough on that one but answer me why should the views of the religious dictate what the rest of us can & can't do?
    I would also like to know off those that have a problem with pubs opening on good Friday on religious grounds do they go to church every week & every holy day,do they go shopping,play & watch sport on Sundays or do they keep that day holy & reflect?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Ive a few hundrer spare tickets for the Holyhead boat on good Friday.

When she returns back to Dublin it's everyone back to mine for fine wine and Cheese.

Who's with me ? let's not care !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Personally I don't think its enough. Sundays should be mandatory days of rest. Any restaurant serving meat on ash Wednesday to have its license to operate rebvoked. Managers should lead prayers before the start of the workday and attendance at mass on holy days to include a rollcall with fixed penalties for truants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Nevore wrote: »
    Personally I don't think its enough. Sundays should be mandatory days of rest. Any restaurant serving meat on ash Wednesday to have its license to operate rebvoked. Managers should lead prayers before the start of the workday and attendance at mass on holy days to include a rollcall with fixed penalties for truants.
    I agree but think we need to go further and ban the serving of meat on Fridays only fish can be served. Perhaps we can even get the stores to block off the meat products on fridays too, so people wont be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Every year, every year it's the same thread.
    Any chance this can be stickied?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Sisko wrote: »
    Lets say I was an atheist or agnostic publican. Why should I be forced to close my pub for a religion I am not a part of?

What would happen if I decided to refuse to keep my pub closed and have it open for all non Christian/religious people to attend at their leisure for a day.

I mean does it really have to take an action such as this before people really begin to force this backward law out of our country?

Its getting ridiculous now, it's 2012 ffs.... we are supposed to be a modern country with enlightened people. There is a lot of discrimination for the non religious as is in the country. I mean serious issues like the school system and abortion that make this pub thing seem like such a silly topic.

But really, often all it needs is a stand to be taken on the silly little things for it to have a domino effect on all the other backward bull**** this country needs to get over and put in the past.

It's fuckin embarrassing at times.

Would anyone out there really be that offended by removing such a law? To allow for pub owners who do not consider themselves Christian to be able to stay open if they so wish?

There would be nothing stopping the religious establishments remaining closed if they so wish.

People not realizing that no one is stopping you from Drinking is embarrassing. Whinging about a pub not being opened for 363 days out of 365 is also embarrassing.

There would be no days off it there was no religious holiday.

If Irish people had the mentality to cop the feck on when drinking, then maybe there would not be a need for a ban on the SALE of booze, during the most important date in the Christian calender. Other "modern" countries have their own traits. Stop ****ting on as if Ireland, within 5 minutes as all of a sudden become predominantly non religious. The Churches will be busy (as most always are) on Good Friday

Don't come out with the fake concern for other groups. Let them speak for themselves. You would have got credibility is you just said - look , I am not arsed about Good Friday, I want this ban lifted, because I (wrongly) believe, that we are or should be a secular country

If your that bothered about your right to buy booze, pretend that you are travelling long distance by train, get a ticket and get a few jars in Connolly Station pub

Quiet a few go horse racing on good friday as the on course bookmakers were allowed open along with been able to place a bet online if they want & at least they have changed the law now after seeing the error of thier ways,listen if you don't agree with pubs opening don't go to the pub that day it's simple,don't you think we should keep restaurants closed during daylight hours during ramadan because its someones religious beliefs that they should refrain from eating during the day?where does it say in your book that applies to your beliefs & not mine that you can have a beer on good friday but not in a pub.

Ramadan is not the Religion of this State. It will never be even the main one among the people This state is a Christian State. Muslims can feck off if they think a majority should bow down to them. They have their right to call the shots in their nations. So comparing Ramadan is nonsense.

Where does it say you can't get a beer? Our Legislation. There tends to be a good reason for it - idiots can't behave with alcohol, it is a religious holiday.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Quinn v Attorney General Case from the Supreme Court 1970's (Go to supreme Court.ie - judgment section)

Football in Ireland and UK continues to be played on Good Friday, oddly, Good Friday seems to get an improved turnout at League of Ireland games

Well the fact that if I brought up a topic like this 40 years ago I probably would have been physically assaulted for one. The idea of a kid going to a non religious school would have been extremely taboo.

We live in the information age now. People are far more informed now then they were 2 decades ago. What do you think people will be like 2 decades from now?

You can try to pretend things are not progressing but all you have to do is look at how things used to be.

How does the country being more informed today than 30 years, address the reasons for the National State banning booze on Good Friday?

We are more informed - informed of what? Yet people still drink to oblivion. If Ireland did not have such a drink problem, it might have changed its attitudes on Good Friday.

We don't need informed talking heads telling us, oh the bible does not say it. We know that. Many people, if they thought about it hard enough, would probably accept it was not possible that their is no god, but they choose to believe that their was - it is called Faith.

Lads, at the last supper (apart from Tom Hanks messing with everyone's heads)...what did Jesus have with his bread? Wine...

What's your point? That was Thursday. On Thursday, after a few glasses of wine, one of Jesus' friends got into a row with soldiers while another betrayed Jesus (over a women). That is the drink for ya.

On Friday he died. Unless you want vinegar, there was no booze

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

On the on hand I do agree that forcing pubs to close for religious reasons is a bit outdated.

However I would also say that if you find you can't even go one day without going to the pub or having a drink then you have a problem.

There are 364 other days on which to go to the pub OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I suppose the pub closed rule is just a hangover from Victorian times, when pleasure was a bit of a taboo thing, unless you belonged to the ruling elite and could indulge in it in secret.:rolleyes:

What I can't figure out is why they call it "Good" Friday. :confused:

For those who buy into the Christian myth, what's good about the good guy getting topped in a most painful and undignified way?:confused:

It's called Karfreitag in German, literally "Grief Friday". The "kar" is derived from the old High German word "chara", meaning complaint, misery or mourning.

The name in Finnish is Pitkäperjantai and in Swedish Långfredagen, literally "Long Friday", and it certainly is for those who can't get into a pub to have a drink.:)

The French call it Le Vendredi saint, which means it's holy, and the same goes for the Russians (страстная пятница) That makes some sense, but only to those who believe in the sky fairy.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

On the on hand I do agree that forcing pubs to close for religious reasons is a bit outdated.

However I would also say that if you find you can't even go one day without going to the pub or having a drink then you have a problem.

There are 364 other days on which to go to the pub OP.

Again, it's not about going without drink for a day it's the principle of the day itself. This is a religious edict which has no place in modern society. I pay taxes in this country, I despise the filth that is the church, so why the **** should I be denied the option to go to a pub on this day because of it? It's ****ing embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

DarkJager wrote: »
    Again, it's not about going without drink for a day it's the principle of the day itself. This is a religious edict which has no place in modern society. I pay taxes in this country, I despise the filth that is the church, so why the **** should I be denied the option to go to a pub on this day because of it? It's ****ing embarrassing.
    Yet people are happy enough to partake in religious holidays and ceremonies if it doesn't affect them directly or even benefit from it. Just be honest, it's about someone telling you that you can't go to the pub.

Yet people are happy enough to partake in religious holidays and ceremonies if it doesn't affect them directly or even benefit from it. Just be honest, it's about someone telling you that you can't go to the pub.

Going to things like weddings and funerals is common courtesy, doesn't mean you find the religion behind the ceremonies any less ridiculous. And yes, the problem is being told you can't go to a pub because Ireland still has one foot in the 1950's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find it odd that if publicans are not allowed to open their business on good Friday due to it being a religious holiday, then why are other companies and business's allowed to open their premises.

It seems to be a very selective/discriminative interpretation of this law. Either everyone has to remain closed or everyone should have the option of opening their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Surely we can survive without forcing religious laws onto people no?

Again, it's about right and wrong. Disallowing people to purchase alcohol because of your religion is wrong.

Would it really effect you if the non religious were not forced to follow your laws?

Why can't you just follow your religion without having to have the state enforce ignorant laws onto everyone?

Justify this to me, please.

if you feel that badly about it why don't you do something about it ?

Why are you bitching about it on boards insdead of doing something about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

DarkJager wrote: »
    Going to things like weddings and funerals is common courtesy, doesn't mean you find the religion behind the ceremonies any less ridiculous. And yes, the problem is being told you can't go to a pub because Ireland still has one foot in the 1950's.
    What are your views on religious holidays like easter, christmas, bank holidays because of religious events like paddy's day? I got a feeling you don't mind those and it's not because of common courtesy to anyone. You don't care about society being free from religious traditions of the past. You just want to go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

At the moment, there over 130 people that seem to be very easily offended. Stupid if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I don't think this issue has much to do with the church anymore, or the thought of Ireland being in the bronze age.
    Like many problems in a democratic society thing can change. But I reckon the op's argument wouldn't have as much weight as say a publican.

The reason this law still exists is publicans are happy with it. For the most part the Thursday will be slightly busier as will the Saturday. Themselves will have the option of a day off or a day to varnish the floors (or some other task not possible with daily foot traffic). When the pubs came together in limerick it was changed for the one day, if all the pubs in the country wanted it changed it would not be long happening.

Plus who has never been able to get a pint on good friday

What are your views on religious holidays like easter, christmas, bank holidays because of religious events like paddy's day? I got a feeling you don't mind those and it's not because of common courtesy to anyone. You don't care about society being free from religious traditions of the past. You just want to go to the pub.

I've worked on pretty much all of those days so it doesn't bother me at all. I have no interest for the religious aspect of any of them, particulary Christmas which I simply view as a time to spend with relatives and unwind a small bit before the year ends. The point is, the day only matters to you if you're part of that religion. I'm not, so I don't appreciate having its "special" days forced on me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Probably to stop it from becoming another St. Paddy's day...

Jesus died for our sins *hic*

Advertisement