Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all pubs closed on Good Friday? Religious law = discrimination?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Are we the only country that has this law?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

No all muslin countries have it also however they enforce it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

lucylu wrote: »
    No all muslin countries have it also however they enforce it every day.
    Sorry, I meant just for good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Ramadan is not the Religion of this State. It will never be even the main one among the people This state is a Christian State. Muslims can feck off if they think a majority should bow down to them. They have their right to call the shots in their nations. So comparing Ramadan is nonsense.

Where does it say you can't get a beer? Our Legislation. There tends to be a good reason for it - idiots can't behave with alcohol, it is a religious holiday.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Quinn v Attorney General Case from the Supreme Court 1970's (Go to supreme Court.ie - judgment section)

Ireland is not a Christian State, it's secular. Check out our constitution some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Sisko wrote: »
    What would happen if I decided to refuse to keep my pub closed and have it open for all non Christian/religious people to attend at their leisure for a day.

What should happen? Nothing. Pubs should be allowed to open Good Friday.

At the same time though, how dare we be deprived of drink for two days out of the year? I understand it's the principle of the thing, but if it was two other days would you care as much? It's like people buying up the entire shop in Tesco the day before Christmas day because omg only Centra is open.

What would happen? You would be trading without a license or special exemptions and would get in a hell of a lot of trouble if you were found out. To cover your tracks you couldn't declare profit for that day so either you get in trouble for that or discovered tax evasion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

No, many countries with a similar Christian heritage keep various traditions and rules about the day. Like I said already in the UK no horseracing takes place on Good Friday, although dog racing goes ahead. In Germany IIRC public dancing performances for money are banned on the day. You can check the Good Friday wikipedia page. It goes through a good few countries and highlights the quirks of each.

We're far from alone on knocking some form of public entertainment on the day no matter how many people try to pretend it's nothing but a Catholic cult thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I suppose the pub closed rule is just a hangover from Victorian times, when pleasure was a bit of a taboo thing, unless you belonged to the ruling elite and could indulge in it in secret.:rolleyes:

What I can't figure out is why they call it "Good" Friday. :confused:

For those who buy into the Christian myth, what's good about the good guy getting topped in a most painful and undignified way?:confused:

It's called Karfreitag in German, literally "Grief Friday". The "kar" is derived from the old High German word "chara", meaning complaint, misery or mourning.

The name in Finnish is Pitkäperjantai and in Swedish Långfredagen, literally "Long Friday", and it certainly is for those who can't get into a pub to have a drink.:)

The French call it Le Vendredi saint, which means it's holy, and the same goes for the Russians (страстная пятница) That makes some sense, but only to those who believe in the sky fairy.;)

Interesting point. In Robert Tressells' The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists he mentions how the working class work from 6 in the morning until around 8 or 9 at night. This minimised their leisure time, which was the luxury enjoyed by the ruling class. Leisure time could be used to read and better oneself. Not a nice idea in the eyes of the ruling class. Better to keep the poor busy grafting, keep them ignorant.

Just so this doesn't sound like I'm trailing off topic, the priests/ vicars were part of the ruling class, enjoying all the benefits, whilst giving the impression that they cared about the poor, which they didn't.

"It's Friday Friday, gotta get down on Friday!" "But I can't get down, pub's shut".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Which would/does offend you more?

lol

If this law "offends" anyone, they need to get a life

I don't agree at all with the law but i'm not gonna ring joe duffy about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I am sick with the obsession some have around alcohol, a most overrated product.

I would think the people who want alcohol on Good Friday will probably also want that liver transplant sometime if they need alcohol that badly. It really sounds like some cannot survive and be sober for one day, for whatever reason the sale of alcohol is banned for that day.
    It shouldn't be a big deal, one does not need alcohol to enjoy themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

No Good Friday Agreement on Boards then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Min wrote: »
    I am sick with the obsession some have around alcohol, a most overrated product.

I would think the people who want alcohol on Good Friday will probably also want that liver transplant sometime if they need alcohol that badly. It really sounds like some cannot survive and be sober for one day, for whatever reason the sale of alcohol is banned for that day.
    It shouldn't be a big deal, one does not need alcohol to enjoy themselves.

While I agree with you on the Irish obsession with booze, I think you're missing the point here. It could be chocolate that's banned. The product doesn't make a difference. It's the principle behind telling people what they can and can't do on a certain day. I don't drink, but I think alcohol should be obtainable on Good Friday. I think it's wrong to impose a religious law on a secular society. Whatever about being majority catholic... not everyone in Ireland is. Why can't common sense be applied? If you want to sell booze, then do. If you don't want to 'cos you think the sky wizard might smite you, then don't!

If anything, I would say allowing drink on a Good Friday would vastly reduce the numbers actually drinking, and most definitely reduce the stocking up syndrome. It's only that it's banned, that people stock up like lunatics and binge drink their way through the weekend. Kinda like the off license opening hours. Idiotic thinking by the people in charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I suppose the pub closed rule is just a hangover from Victorian times, when pleasure was a bit of a taboo thing, unless you belonged to the ruling elite and could indulge in it in secret.:rolleyes:

What I can't figure out is why they call it "Good" Friday. :confused:

For those who buy into the Christian myth, what's good about the good guy getting topped in a most painful and undignified way?:confused:

It's called Karfreitag in German, literally "Grief Friday". The "kar" is derived from the old High German word "chara", meaning complaint, misery or mourning.

The name in Finnish is Pitkäperjantai and in Swedish Långfredagen, literally "Long Friday", and it certainly is for those who can't get into a pub to have a drink.:)

The French call it Le Vendredi saint, which means it's holy, and the same goes for the Russians (страстная пятница) That makes some sense, but only to those who believe in the sky fairy.;)

The myth was that HE was suppose to die, It was meant to be. Something about ending the gap between Adam and Eve and not getting to Heaven

Germans are a miserable lot anyway

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    While I agree with you on the Irish obsession with booze, I think you're missing the point here. It could be chocolate that's banned. The product doesn't make a difference. It's the principle behind telling people what they can and can't do on a certain day. I don't drink, but I think alcohol should be obtainable on Good Friday. I think it's wrong to impose a religious law on a secular society. Whatever about being majority catholic... not everyone in Ireland is. Why can't common sense be applied? If you want to sell booze, then do. If you don't want to 'cos you think the sky wizard might smite you, then don't!

If anything, I would say allowing drink on a Good Friday would vastly reduce the numbers actually drinking, and most definitely reduce the stocking up syndrome. It's only that it's banned, that people stock up like lunatics and binge drink their way through the weekend. Kinda like the off license opening hours. Idiotic thinking by the people in charge.

It is not , in reality, a secular society, maybe in parts of Dublin, but Dublin does not speak for Ireland, neither does the media.

Sure many county councils begin meetings with an auld pray, our courts start each year with a mass in mostly catholic church (with protestant and Jewish head stepping in)

Majority Rule.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Ireland is not a Christian State, it's secular. Check out our constitution some time.

Look at what the Preamble says. The High Court and Supreme Court certainly do not interpret the Constitution as being Secular but actually being particularly Christian, especially as old cases show, Catholic

You should re look at the Constitution.

In reality, the Country is not secular. Who still and will run the schools and hospitals?

What is said on paper (or more to the point, what is not said on paper) is not always what has happened in reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It is not a secular society, maybe in parts of Dublin, but Dublin does not speak for Ireland, neither does the media.

Majority Rule.

But under the Constitution Ireland is secular.

Why can't Catholics make up their own mind not to go to a pub and drink instead of a Nanny state making their mind up for them and impacting the whole society?

Twin-go wrote: »
    But under the Constitution Ireland is secular.

Why can't Catholics make up their own mind not to go to a pub and drink instead of a Nanny state making their mind up for them and impacting the whole society?

The fact that the Constitution intentionally does not endorse on particular Church (well not anymore) means **** all in reality if Court interpret it a different way. So our definition of what a family is, is that a secular meaning? (one example)

Its not about Nanny State its about respect for a majority of people who at some point practice their Christian faith.

Canada and South Africa regulates booze,

Even Germany has a ban on certain entertainment events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

The fact that the Constitution intentionally does not endorse on particular Church (well not anymore) means **** all in reality if Court interpret it a different way. So our definition of what a family is, is that a secular meaning? (one example)

Its not about Nanny State its about respect for a majority of people who at some point practice their Christian faith.

Canada and South Africa regulates booze,

Even Germany has a ban on certain entertainment events

Fook respect. I have no respect for faith and its ludicrous rules. What about the minority? Catholics can sit at home, and have a pray or whatever they want without drinking can't they? Everyone else should be able to go down the pub and have a few drinks. Choice. If you want to abstain, then do so, if you don't, then don't. It's got nothing to do with respect. It's to do with the choice regardless of religion/creed/colour/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Don't come out with the fake concern for other groups. Let them speak for themselves. You would have got credibility is you just said - look , I am not arsed about Good Friday, I want this ban lifted, because I (wrongly) believe, that we are or should be a secular country

If your that bothered about your right to buy booze, pretend that you are travelling long distance by train, get a ticket and get a few jars in Connolly Station pub

I wrongly believe we should be a secular society? Wow, enter the fundamentalists...

I suppose I wrongly believe divorce should be legal? Homosexuals should be allowed marry and not be arrested and so on and so forth?

Go back to the 1950's.
    On the on hand I do agree that forcing pubs to close for religious reasons is a bit outdated.

However I would also say that if you find you can't even go one day without going to the pub or having a drink then you have a problem.

There are 364 other days on which to go to the pub OP.

I'm being banned from purchasing a product for religious reasons. Doesn't matter if it was toothpaste. It's wrong to be banned from doing so on those grounds.

Hilarious.

Respect for the majority of people? Lifting the ban does not stop them from deciding not to buy or sell alcohol. Why can't you just follow your religious beliefs without forcing it into law and demanded EVERYONE follow your beliefs or face prison.

Respect? HA! If you choose not to drink on a certain day cause of your religious beliefs I will respect that. How am I supposed to respect you if you bully me to do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

Sisko your trying to get your point across to Ned Flanders types here,there's logic in everything you said there & as we all know the god squad can't grasp the concept of logic,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

the scrote wrote: »
    Sisko your trying to get your point across to Ned Flanders types here,there's logic in everything you said there & as we all know the god squad can't grasp the concept of logic,

If they were capable of understanding a logical argument, they wouldn't be religious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Sisko wrote: »
    Surely we can survive without forcing religious laws onto people no?

Again, it's about right and wrong. Disallowing people to purchase alcohol because of your religion is wrong.

Would it really effect you if the non religious were not forced to follow your laws?

Why can't you just follow your religion without having to have the state enforce ignorant laws onto everyone?

Justify this to me, please.

So we can't purchase alcohol on Good Friday! Boo Hoo! Its a hard life for some!

Good Friday should be kept special as Ireland is still a Christian country.

Our laws reflect the majority opinion - that's democracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Silly religious law, can't understand it when you can go to a pub and get booze on st paddy's day and st stephen's day, they are religious days kind of....
    Ireland is the only country you can't get booze or go to a pub on good friday its made considering some shops are opened but not all of them :( Not sure if restaurants are opened on good friday. So basically you cannot buy any drink or go to a pub (closed I assume or is open maybe a short time or all day and just serves non alcoholic beverages and food) on good friday. Crazy law! There is a separation between state and the church at this stage no?:confused:

They should get rid of the law or at least have a few opening hours for pubs, they need to keep business going rather than loose it.

Yet I think they have introduced pubs to be opened a short time on christmas day now is that true, is a religious day and all. Even a pub be open on ash wednesday can't see why good friday be any different?

Ireland might be a Christian country but in general its not as Catholic as it once was so eventually that law will die out. Not every Catholic is in the majority not anymore anyways. That law will change eventually the same as the divorce law, best to get with the times and move on into a more modern secular society as its heading that way as it is with some people who have migrated here from other countries not all of them be Catholics though a certain number might be but not all of them.

Good Friday is no more special than the man on the moon anymore. Sure some shops are opened on good friday just cause alcohol isn't available seriously though Ireland isn't Ireland no more like it once was so trying to keep that day special is not likely to continue as Ireland has changed so much and is continuously changing. What does it matter if drink is available or not on the day there isn't any reason why we can't drink on the day!? The whole fasting thing is the thing of the past the sooner people get to grips with that the better and that law will get changed no matter how hard you try to think that it always stay the same it won't. Its a bit naive if you think that that law continue, it be stamped out at some point. I can't see it surviving for another decade definitely not into another century, it be gone by then I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

When is Good Friday?(so i can stock up :D)

gurramok wrote: »

I'll have a look for you!

gurramok wrote: »

Its 6th April! Happy Stocking! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Clareboy wrote: »
    So we can't purchase alcohol on Good Friday! Boo Hoo! Its a hard life for some!

Good Friday should be kept special as Ireland is still a Christian country.

Our laws reflect the majority opinion - that's democracy!

So you think law should be dictated by the religous views of the majority?
    Everyone should live by your rules?

al28283 wrote: »
    So you think law should be dictated by the religous views of the majority?
    Everyone should live by your rules?

Yes I do. When in Isreal, I had to eat kosher food - no problem! When in the Western Isles of Scotland - no pubs open on Sunday - no problem! Good Friday in Ireland - no pubs - no problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Clareboy wrote: »
    Yes I do. When in Isreal, I had to eat kosher food - no problem! When in the Western Isles of Scotland - no pubs open on Sunday - no problem! Good Friday in Ireland - no pubs - no problem!

So slavery should be legal, people who curse their parents should be put to death and haircuts should be against the law? No problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

This is pointless, we usually have a house party on Good Friday, just for devilment, couldn't give a toss if the pubs are open or not. Does it really matter if they close for Good Friday, maybe they should open Christmas Day as well yeah?

• Advertisement

doovdela wrote: »
    Silly religious law, can't understand it when you can go to a pub and get booze on st paddy's day and st stephen's day, they are religious days kind of....
    Ireland is the only country you can't get booze or go to a pub on good friday its made considering some shops are opened but not all of them :( Not sure if restaurants are opened on good friday. So basically you cannot buy any drink or go to a pub (closed I assume or is open maybe a short time or all day and just serves non alcoholic beverages and food) on good friday. Crazy law! There is a separation between state and the church at this stage no?:confused:

They should get rid of the law or at least have a few opening hours for pubs, they need to keep business going rather than loose it.

Yet I think they have introduced pubs to be opened a short time on christmas day now is that true, is a religious day and all. Even a pub be open on ash wednesday can't see why good friday be any different?

Ireland might be a Christian country but in general its not as Catholic as it once was so eventually that law will die out. Not every Catholic is in the majority not anymore anyways. That law will change eventually the same as the divorce law, best to get with the times and move on into a more modern secular society as its heading that way as it is with some people who have migrated here from other countries not all of them be Catholics though a certain number might be but not all of them.

Good Friday is no more special than the man on the moon anymore. Sure some shops are opened on good friday just cause alcohol isn't available seriously though Ireland isn't Ireland no more like it once was so trying to keep that day special is not likely to continue as Ireland has changed so much and is continuously changing. What does it matter if drink is available or not on the day there isn't any reason why we can't drink on the day!? The whole fasting thing is the thing of the past the sooner people get to grips with that the better and that law will get changed no matter how hard you try to think that it always stay the same it won't. Its a bit naive if you think that that law continue, it be stamped out at some point. I can't see it surviving for another decade definitely not into another century, it be gone by then I say.

First of all, our national apostle is St. Patrick, not st paddy! So one can' t buy alcohol or go to a pub in Ireland on Good Friday - well its a hard life. The terrible hardships that some people have to endure in this country has me almost in tears. If people from other countries cannot tolerate our laws and Christian traditions - then they know what to do!

Advertisement