Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all pubs closed on Good Friday? Religious law = discrimination?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Clareboy wrote: »
    First of all, our national apostle is St. Patrick, not st paddy! So one can' t buy alcohol or go to a pub in Ireland on Good Friday - well its a hard life. The terrible hardships that some people have to endure in this country has me almost in tears. If people from other countries cannot tolerate our laws and Christian traditions - then they know what to do!

This country is no longer christian. That's a point people like you seem to be missing. The majority of this country despises the pedophile catholic church and the poor brainwashed imbeciles who still try to defend its actions. That Ireland is dead and gone, and you'd better get used to the fact that people want their liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

DarkJager wrote: »
    This country is no longer christian. That's a point people like you seem to be missing. The majority of this country despises the pedophile catholic church and the poor brainwashed imbeciles who still try to defend its actions. That Ireland is dead and gone, and you'd better get used to the fact that people want their liberties.

I don't think anybody would defend the Church's attitude to the abuse scandals. I wouldn't go as far as to say the church is dead and gone, people should enjoy the liberty to practice their faith and it should be tolerated. Not everything about the RCC was bad they benefited this country in many ways also.

I don't think anybody would defend the Church's attitude to the abuse scandals. I wouldn't go as far as to say the church is dead and gone, people should enjoy the liberty to practice their faith and it should be tolerated. Not everything about the RCC was bad they benefited this country in many ways also.

They strangled this country for decades and successive idiotic governments didn't dare to say a word. That church is filth, and the sooner we cut it out of our society like the cancer it is, the better it will be for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This is just one of the last minor vestiges of an oppressive force in Irish life that thankfully is disappearing into the ether.

"Ah sure there's nothing wrong with having a day off drink"
    or
    "We're a christian country!"
    or any other ****e are not valid arguments.

It's only a matter of time before it too, thankfully, disappears. I've incidentally never wanted to drink on "Good Friday" but to force people not to for any reason simply isn't acceptable in a modern western society.

It's irrelevant that it's trivial. Stealing a sandwich is trivial. It doesn't mean that it should be legal.

The concept of personal freedom isn't supposed to have a load of nonsensical exceptions to it. Each one undermines the integrity of the entire concept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Ireland is a Christian country and has been for over 1500 years. I admit that the Catholic Church made mistakes in the past, but the past is the past and like it or not, Christianity is still very much a part of life for the majority of the Irish people. The Catholic faith is part of our culture and heritage and our national idenity. Why are the churches still full every Sunday? Explain that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Ireland is a Christian country and has been for over 1500 years. I admit that the Catholic Church made mistakes in the past, but the past is the past and like it or not, Christianity is still very much a part of life for the majority of the Irish people. The Catholic faith is part of our culture and heritage and our national idenity. Why are the churches still full every Sunday? Explain that one!
    Many of this is true, sadly for Agnostics in the Republic. Until Agnostics in the Irish Republic try and change the rule of law in the Irish Republic, this will not change because the Republic of Ireland is built from Roman Catholic foundations.

People wake up to a cult like the RCC, and again, you can't claim a majority because it's now the opposite. As for churches full on Sunday, care to explain why I only see a maximum of 8 cars outside it now compared to a street full 5 years ago? I couldn't care less who follows it (I pity them to be honest), they are no longer a majority in this country. And if I had my way, I'd go back to the good old days of making them lion feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think you are missing the point or just have very outdated views of the Catholic Church. Yes indeed Ireland was a renowned Catholic country but not anymore, may be not be secular per se now but its heading to a mixed religion country as far as I can see and its going to be similar to what happened in the UK. Its a harsh thing to say if those who do not share the catholic faith shouldn't be welcomed into this country? Isn't that what Ireland is all about being hospital to immigrants into our country as to the likes of the US who opened their arms to previous Irish immigrants over history!

Correct me if I am wrong but Ireland was considered a protestant/church of Ireland country for brief periods before the state of independence. The state did not want the responsibility on that part of life so gave it to the church to take over in particular education and religion.

Yes I know its St Patrick and he is the Saint of Ireland but you are forgetting he wasn't Irish he was Welsh! He just had strong Christian faith, as he prayed a lot and wanted to save the Irish felt he could bring good to Ireland. He converted to becoming a Catholic...priest...bishop and so on to save the Irish people from being pagan's. So technically Ireland has not always been a Catholic Country since 'Erin' came upon this earth! It was St Patrick that brought the Catholic religion into Ireland and converted Ireland you are forgetting that!

Britain was once a Catholic Nation and became protestant mainly and mixed with church of Ireland depended on the King in power, and soon enough other religions came along no harm in that?! We are all creatures of 'God' are we not?? If that is what we are to believe by the Catholic teachings then why you being so judgemental on others from that point of view? Can't we not just get a long regardless of religion? We are all human beings! If Ireland weren't Catholic we might have had a fairer alliance with England a long time ago well before the 800 year war and the war of independence that ensued may not have happened! Ireland might have been saved a lot of grief only for the Catholic religion being imposed. If not that we probably be protestant or church of Ireland a lot depends on popularity really of religious beliefs become the norm and that is what will happen the most popular religion or none religion will prevail in years to come!

You must be kidding me, if it is then it down to kids and families and the elderly! How many 20 or 30 somethings at mass now a day's very few and far between unless they are made go like! If its a case to be seen and to be regular mass goer so kids can get the sacraments in the future then that's your answer fair and square! People haven't given up the church just they don't seem to believe everything being said. I go to mass the odd time and you be surprised some local places are like a morgue except in the big towns you might get a bigger crowd but only for the odd weekend would that happen if you get big crowds.

Christmas Eve/Day mass is the only time i've ever seen the church I go to to be crowded. The church itself has taken seats away due to numbers of attendance going down so if you can't see anything wrong with that then your blinded by a false windshield (church). Its like you can't see it in a mirror/window and its there in front of you and you can't see what is happening around you, the church has fallen and it won't get back up. If you can't see for what it really is truthfully then are you really that narrow minded about being a Christian?

I'm not bothered that we cannot buy drink on good friday but that there is a law that we can't which is discriminatory regardless of religion.Tables have turned on the Catholic faith and its only now people have woken up to the cult that it is. Fair enough you learn something from it but at the same time people make up their own mind what they want to believe or not each of their own and no-one should be judged on that reason alone. I agree with darkjager that yes they are silly reasons to try and force and impose a law that is dying out slowly but surely it be gone for eternity and nothing you can do about it. Its up the people of Ireland to decide and what they say goes and if it goes that way you can't change what their decision is 'that's what democracy is!'

Plus Ireland might have got their country back and all in one piece and at a sooner decade only for the Catholic religion!? Despite strong protestant religion in Dublin before the State of Independence and having Protestant religions/church of Ireland around parts of Ireland too along side the Catholic religion just that the Catholic religion just happened to be more popular though at some point the Protestant/church of Ireland was more common during brief periods before the State of Independence just that it died out the same will happen to the Catholic religion.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Many of this is true, sadly for Agnostics in the Republic. Until Agnostics in the Irish Republic try and change the rule of law in the Irish Republic, this will not change because the Republic of Ireland is built from Roman Catholic foundations.

Some of great countries of Europe like France, Spain, Portugal and Italy are built from Roman Catholic foundations so we are in good company!

• Advertisement

Some of great countries of Europe like France, Spain, Portugal and Italy are built from Roman Catholic foundations so we are in good company!

Yeah, because ****ing defenceless kids is definitely something that should be in the tourist brochures.

People wake up to a cult like the RCC, and again, you can't claim a majority because it's now the opposite. As for churches full on Sunday, care to explain why I only see a maximum of 8 cars outside it now compared to a street full 5 years ago? I couldn't care less who follows it (I pity them to be honest), they are no longer a majority in this country. And if I had my way, I'd go back to the good old days of making them lion feed.

The Roman Catholic Church is the largest Christian denomination in the world and it is not a cult! Here in County Clare, the churches are packed every Sunday and that is the case all over the country except maybe in some of the larger cities. The atheists are having a field day tonight!

France, Italy, Portugal and Spain might be predominately Catholic in particular Spain and Italy but they have a stronger Catholic Faith than Ireland and also they had the foundations of the catholic faith a lot longer before Ireland did! And where the catholic faith began in those countries long before Ireland did...

The Roman Catholic Church is the largest Christian denomination in the world and it is not a cult! Here in County Clare, the churches are packed every Sunday and that is the case all over the country except maybe in some of the larger cities. The atheists are having a field day tonight!

Are you serious? Iv been to many different churches around the country and up the country and up the country my god the number of people be in one particular church there you be lucky to see about 10-20 people there! Never ever has it been packed except once and that was for easter weekend that was a few years ago! Same case for any other church I have been up and down the country its the same story. Only if there is big enough population there would a church be packed. Unless there are regular funerals/baptisms would the churches be packed! The town churches are the ones that might be packed the odd time but rarely. You have a crowd but not massive and there are times it can be small but bigger than what you get in a village church.

It's a pedophile cult that likes sexual activity with kids. I don't know what's worse, the scumbag preaching priests or the cretins that still blindly follow it and try to defend its actions.

doovdela wrote: »
    Plus Ireland might have got their country back and all in one piece and at a sooner decade only for the Catholic religion!? Despite strong protestant religion in Dublin before the State of Independence and having Protestant religions/church of Ireland around parts of Ireland too along side the Catholic religion just that the Catholic religion just happened to be more popular though at some point the Protestant/church of Ireland was more common during brief periods before the State of Independence just that it died out the same will happen to the Catholic religion.

I can assure you that the Catholic Church in Ireland will not die out. It survived the Penal Laws and all kinds of persecutions. It will be around long after you and I are long forgotten.

It's a pedophile cult that likes sexual activity with kids. I don't know what's worse, the scumbag preaching priests or the cretins that still blindly follow it and try to defend its actions.

If you want to talk about pedophiles, we can discuss pedophile teachers, pedophile doctors, pedophile swimming coaches, pedophile parents, pedophile barmen, pedophile window cleaners, pedophile taxi drivers - pedophile judges - take you pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Sisko wrote: »
    Why should I be forced to close my pub for a religion I am not a part of?

I don't usually support publicans but I will on this.

It's high time we got rid of this garbage of church rule. as you say it's 2012 and we are still constricted by this draconian smudge of sh1t. they need to move with the times.

And yes, it is discrimination.

I can assure you that the Catholic Church in Ireland will not die out. It survived the Penal Laws and all kinds of persecutions. It will be around long after you and I are long forgotten.

Maybe so but that was cause the Brits forced the Irish to do so secretly! Just cause they couldn't get it out of them then doesn't mean it will last forever more, not everything is meant to last just look at the Protestant faith it died out at some point in Ireland so can't see the Catholic religion lasting.

May not be the best example but in the case of potatoes, only for Ireland mainly focusing on that and eating alternatives there might not have been a famine. Now there are plenty alternatives to potatoes not everyone eats it! So some eat pasta and or rice instead. Its all down to popularity and likes and dislikes all comes down to that like.

Ireland wasn't a Catholic Country since 1500's it was predominately Protestant/church of Ireland in the 1600's despite a majority of the population being catholic during these centuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

No longer Christian, yet 86.8% call themselves Roman Catholic? You may be dreaming when you say say the country is no longer christian.

My local church will also be packed in the morning, all the masses over the weekend will be too.

I would actually say that the pubs should be open Good Friday, however with the carry on of some people here, calling it a cult, I would nearly call for the ban to be still enforced.

I wouldn't want to stick my religion down anyone's throat, why stick your lack of a religion down every bodies throat - it makes no sense to complain something is forced on you, and then force your views upon other people.

Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

If you want to talk about pedophiles, we can discuss pedophile teachers, pedophile doctors, pedophile swimming coaches, pedophile parents, pedophile barmen, pedophile window cleaners, pedophile taxi drivers - pedophile judges - take you pick!

ok then let's talk about pedophile doctors,the HSE doesn't protect them,
    pedophile barmen,the vitners federation doesn't protect them.
    pedophile judges,minister for justice doesn't protect them
    pedophile priests,the vatican doesn't pr.........oh wait

This thread is going way out of topic ?. pedo's and stuff ???? WTF.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm baffled that you'd pick a country like France, where Christianity drove the genocide of the Cathars and Catholic mobs butchered protestants. More to the point, it is today completely secular at state level.
    For example, girls indoctrinated into islam are not allowed to wear burkas/niqabs etc, into state schools and teachers are not allowed to wear religious paraphernalia like crosses when working in state schools.

And Portugal and Spain enforced Catholicism at the point of a sword under Franco and Salazar.

Are those the kinds of foundations we want to build our nation on?

And this is besides the point. **** foundations - there is no merit gained by something simply through it having happened in the past.
    We should be striving in a direction based on it's merit, and the only direction of any merit is one of secular democracy.
    It keeps alive the enlightenment values of personal liberty, freedom of expression and while it protects the big things like freedom of and from religion, it also encompasses the little things like a state broadcaster playing the angelus or the state forcing a type of business to close based on religious ideals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Discrimination.

You're not supposed to eat meat on Good Friday either so they should really force all the butchers to close that day too! :rolleyes:

Frankly, if you're religious and don't want to drink, then don't. If you're a religious pub owner and don't want to sell drink, then don't. But even if 90% of the population consider themselves Catholic by the census I'd guarantee that only a tiny fraction of those would follow that rule - you only have to see the peak sales on Holy Thursday to realise that.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Discrimination.

You're not supposed to eat meat on Good Friday either so they should really force all the butchers to close that day too! :rolleyes:

Very valid point.

We need to excommunicate these rules by a very ancient organization that holds no benefits to economic growth and which restricts freedoms of the citizens of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They strangled this country for decades and successive idiotic governments didn't dare to say a word. That church is filth, and the sooner we cut it out of our society like the cancer it is, the better it will be for everyone.

I think you have an extreme and emotional view of the church and that may be due to some circumstance that I'm unaware of. It's fine for you to declare no interest and decide you want nothing to do with religion but its not ok for you to pedal your militant Atheist agenda. People are entitled to have their faith and you have to learn to deal with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I admit that the Catholic Church made mistakes in the past

Liike believing in a god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I think you have an extreme and emotional view of the church and that may be due to some circumstance that I'm unaware of. It's fine for you to declare no interest and decide you want nothing to do with religion but its not ok for you to pedal your militant Atheist agenda. People are entitled to have their faith and you have to learn to deal with that.

if one group is entitled to their extremist views then why shouldnt another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

you've just contradicted yourself there.you say it's fine to declare no interest & decide we want nothing to do with religion.ok then open the pubs good friday & let us decide whether we want to go for a pint or not.Is religion not supposed to be a personal thing?well keep it to yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

prinz wrote: »
    Most of the western world appreciates Sunday as a family/rest day. Do you want to scrap that too? Maybe turn Tuesday into the new weekend. Do you work Christmas? Easter?

People should be free to appreciate Sunday as a family/rest day.
    They shouldn't be legally mandated to do so.

Advertisement