Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone unlocking problem - am I completely screwed?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I want to move to a new network, so I called Meteor requesting an unlock code for my phone earlier. Basically, to cut a long story short, I had a bit of hassle getting the code in the first place (gave the wrong IMEI number and then had to ring again, cue some suspicion about what I was doing), but eventually got given the code I was after. So I tried putting it into my phone. It didn't work the first time, so stupidly, without knowing that I only had a certain number of attempts, I ended up getting a message saying "Cannot Undo Restriction." Is there ANY way at all of undoing this? Like would any of those phone unlock shops be able to help me out, or am I condemned to a life with Meteor unless I get a new phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yes....One of those phone un-lock shops should be able to sort you.

The phone just needs to be sorted using a cable. It shouldn't be much bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

That's a relief, thanks! :) Any rough idea of how much it would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

A blue one:)

A blue one:)

So would I get the problem sorted and the phone unlocked for that? :) Or would it cost me extra to remove the restriction/unlock the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Kalishoek

i top up 20 euro every month and meteor told me i hadnt topped up enough to get an unlock code because i put my sim in a new phone.(thats what i get for sticking with meteor) how could i go about unlocking my phone now and shouldnt meteor give my unlock code upon my request as they know how much money ive spent on them????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Kalishoek wrote: »
    i top up 20 euro every month and meteor told me i hadnt topped up enough to get an unlock code because i put my sim in a new phone.(thats what i get for sticking with meteor) how could i go about unlocking my phone now and shouldnt meteor give my unlock code upon my request as they know how much money ive spent on them????
    I thought the amount was based on the sim, not the phone?

AFAIK they cant tell what phone the simcard is in so that must be bollocks.

i might add ive topped up every month for almost 2 years. which means ive spent roughly 480 euro on meteor

AFAIK they cant tell what phone the simcard is in so that must be bollocks.

They actually can. At one point they were locking the SIMs in new number packs to the phone they came with. Trying to use the SIM in another phone resulted in the SIM being deactivated. It was a temporary measure to prevent the pack from being "broken" and was usually lifted within a month or so.

Normally the €127/€130 requirement is per account though, as you said.

so what can i do?

PROBLEM SOLVED
    rang back a second time and spoke to a different girl who was actually helpfull. and pointed out that i had the wrong pin.(last agent asked for pin i gave her the wrong one and she carried on). so the problem was lazy customer service agent!!!!

• Advertisement

Just to say I went into town to get this sorted today. Went into a shop that said they could do it for me, so I gave my phone over, and the fella ended up breaking it :rolleyes: He was very apologetic though and gave me a sim free one free of charge. So now I have another question. My old phone wasn't anything special, cheap Nokia thing, but I was pretty attached to it, and the new one I've been given is just a touch too basic for my liking. So if I wanted to change my phone, would it just be a simple matter of buying a new phone and then taking it straight to one of these places for unlocking? Thanks.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Just to say I went into town to get this sorted today. Went into a shop that said they could do it for me, so I gave my phone over, and the fella ended up breaking it :rolleyes: He was very apologetic though and gave me a sim free one free of charge. So now I have another question. My old phone wasn't anything special, cheap Nokia thing, but I was pretty attached to it, and the new one I've been given is just a touch too basic for my liking. So if I wanted to change my phone, would it just be a simple matter of buying a new phone and then taking it straight to one of these places for unlocking? Thanks.

How did that clown manage to break the phone? Hopefully it did'nt cost you the blue one I mentioned above. Yes, now you can go into any phone shop or look at any website and buy any phone you can afford & get it unlocked by one of those shops. If you loved the model you had, have a look at www.amazon.co.uk and do a search for your phone on it. A lot of the older Nokias are still available there.

How did that clown manage to break the phone? Hopefully it did'nt cost you the blue one I mentioned above. Yes, now you can go into any phone shop or look at any website and buy any phone you can afford & get it unlocked by one of those shops. If you loved the model you had, have a look at www.amazon.co.uk and do a search for your phone on it. A lot of the older Nokias are still available there.

Apparently you're not able to reset the counter on my phone, or something like that. No idea, really. Nah, it cost me a tenner for him to "fix" it and then when he broke it he gave me the new phone as a replacement. So would I just buy a phone, sign up for whatever network, then just ignore that sim and get the phone unlocked and put my current one in? (Sorry, very clueless about these things)

The phones from Amazon are generally sim free. You can see from the description on the site. Or you can simply do a search for sim free phones and you'll get a list of what they have. You will get it delivered free if its over £25.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Olly.kerry

I want to move to a new network, so I called Meteor requesting an unlock code for my phone earlier. Basically, to cut a long story short, I had a bit of hassle getting the code in the first place (gave the wrong IMEI number and then had to ring again, cue some suspicion about what I was doing), but eventually got given the code I was after. So I tried putting it into my phone. It didn't work the first time, so stupidly, without knowing that I only had a certain number of attempts, I ended up getting a message saying "Cannot Undo Restriction." Is there ANY way at all of undoing this? Like would any of those phone unlock shops be able to help me out, or am I condemned to a life with Meteor unless I get a new phone?

I work for meteor, just bring it in to ur local shop and well send it to head office and get it done for you :D

The phones from Amazon are generally sim free. You can see from the description on the site. Or you can simply do a search for sim free phones and you'll get a list of what they have. You will get it delivered free if its over £25.:)

Oh that's handy, thanks! :) Would the phones from there generally be reliable?

Oh that's handy, thanks! :) Would the phones from there generally be reliable?

Yep just as reliable as you get here. Family members have got a Nokia C2-01 & Acer Liquid Metal and are chuffed.

Advertisement