Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My poor dog :(

• 15-03-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I had my 1 yr old dog neutered today. I dropped him to the vets a 9.30am and collected him at 3. When I collected him he seemed fine, I brought him home and put him in his crate and he slept until around 8 o clock. When he woke I offerered him water but he didnt want any but seemed restless so I put his lead on and took him to the garden to go to the toilet.
    We were standing in the garden a few minutes when I heard him peeing but when I looked down I saw that it was blood pouring from him. At first I thought he had blood in his urine but when I looked under him I saw it was coming from his incision.
    Thank god my parents live across the road so I ran over and we called the vet and brought him in. I dont think his stitches broke because the vet didnt mention them but I think he looked worried. He said the vein was clamped and should have moved back up into his body but I think he was bleeding from the vein, there was so much blood. The vet is working on him and keeping him for the night, he told me to ring at around 11.30 in the morning. I feel so bad, I'm so sorry I ever decided to neuter him:(:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

OMG that's horrible, I hope he'll be ok, I hate the thoughts of getting my lad done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Can I ask where in the country you are?

If I were you I'd be changing vets ASAP.

It's not your fault and you were doing the right thing for him by getting him neutered. Hopefully the poor little man will get through this ok but something like this really should not happen with a simple proceedure like neutering.

Keeping everything crossed for you both but please le us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. You did the right thing for him and I really hope he's alright. Fingers crossed for him. It feels like a very long night when you're waiting for news from the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

HOLY sh1t.... :eek:

Really hope everything is ok in the morning carfiosaoorl. Look its not your fault for neutering, the vet has made a massive mistake somewhere during this operation.

best of luck for the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ah the poor pet. Hopefully he will make a recovery. I can't imagine how worried you must be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

MaryK666 wrote: »
    Can I ask where in the country you are?

If I were you I'd be changing vets ASAP.

It's not your fault and you were doing the right thing for him by getting him neutered. Hopefully the poor little man will get through this ok but something like this really should not happen with a simple proceedure like neutering.

Keeping everything crossed for you both but please le us know how you get on.

Hi Mary I'm in Dungarvan co. Waterford and I agree with you I really thought it was a simple procedure. My sister had her dog neutered a few weeks ago and didnt have a bother. I honestly always thought that neutering a male dog was much easier than a female and didnt expect any problems. When I got my dog home I noticed the skin on his belly near the incision was black but i thought it was normal after surgery but when I brought him his whole underside was black. I'm worried he was bleeding internally and it eventually came out through the incision because I dont think his stitches broke. He didnt move enough to break them and the vet didnt mention them breaking. He said that some dogs have clotting problems like haemophilia but before that he said the vein was clamped and should have gone back up inside the body. I dont think they clamped the vein properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh gawd OP, my heart sank reading your post:(.
    The risk from this operation is relatively small, but with any operation there's always a risk... not that this is much comfort to you right now. The vet must be horrified.
    I will keep everything crossed for the little man tonight and keeping a close eye out for news in the morning.:(

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

You should have left him as nature intended.

I would never do that to my boy.

Poor thing.

<BANNED>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

RXMPS wrote: »

Poor thing.
    Guilt tripping the OP won't do anyone any favours. S/he obviously thought they were doing the best for their dog.

My lad was neutered coming up to 12 years ago now and no complications whatsoever luckily. I also thought it was a very straightforward operation and never really thought too much about it to be honest. I have my fingers crossed for him OP.

Neutering is a relatively simple proceedure for a dog and the most serious problem is usually the anaesthetic, which is always a risk.
    The incision shouldn't be much more than an inch long. The veins supplying blood to the testicle should be cut and sealed before the testicle is removed. They should be checked again prior to closing the incision and placed back inside before sutures go in place. The vein will not automatically be retracted into the body by the dog and it is purely the vets responsibility to ensure that it's in the correct place.

The black areas you saw were more than likely the result of a sub cutaneous bleed from the veins that hadn't been sealed properly. Again - the vet's fault. The whole haemophilia thing is more than likely a ruse to cover himself and the likelyhood of your dog having haemophilia is very slim.

The only good thing about the entire proceedure was that it was a vein that leaked and not an artery or the situation could have been so much worse.

Hopefully you'll have some good and positive news in the morning but, looking at the situation, I wouldn't be waiting untill 11am to call.
    I'd be on the phone the instant they open in the morning and if there's nothing positive to report, I'd be removing my dog (and refusing to part with any cash) and taking him to another vet within 5 mins of the call ending for a second opinion.
    Mind you, this advice is coming from a person who refused to see a particular vet because he insisted in calling my cat 'Kitty' all the time despite being corrected on several occasions. Said vet has since moved practice (several people like me in our local practice didn't like him) and we have the best vet in the world now. Unfortunately, he's a little too far from you for convenient travel but he does know pretty much everything about cats and dogs so it's worth keeping them in mind in case of an emergency.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow.

• Advertisement

RXMPS wrote: »

Poor thing.

I'm feeling ****ty enough now, you couldn't possibly make me feel worse but kudos for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Fingers crossed for you and for him, don't blame yourself as you were doing what you thought was best for him, which is all you can do. Please do let us know how he is as soon as you can.

I'm feeling ****ty enough now, you couldn't possibly make me feel worse but kudos for trying.

Don't let people get you down. You were doing the right thing by your dog and anyone who can't see that, doesn't warrant a reply. J
    ust stay strong overnight and you should have your little dog home safe and sound really soon and you can spoil him rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Oh, hun..

*huggles*

Let us know how you get on! xx Hope he will be ok!

MaryK666 wrote: »
    Neutering is a relatively simple proceedure for a dog and the most serious problem is usually the anaesthetic, which is always a risk.
    The incision shouldn't be much more than an inch long. The veins supplying blood to the testicle should be cut and sealed before the testicle is removed. They should be checked again prior to closing the incision and placed back inside before sutures go in place. The vein will not automatically be retracted into the body by the dog and it is purely the vets responsibility to ensure that it's in the correct place.

The black areas you saw were more than likely the result of a sub cutaneous bleed from the veins that hadn't been sealed properly. Again - the vet's fault. The whole haemophilia thing is more than likely a ruse to cover himself and the likelyhood of your dog having haemophilia is very slim.

The only good thing about the entire proceedure was that it was a vein that leaked and not an artery or the situation could have been so much worse.

Hopefully you'll have some good and positive news in the morning but, looking at the situation, I wouldn't be waiting untill 11am to call.
    I'd be on the phone the instant they open in the morning and if there's nothing positive to report, I'd be removing my dog (and refusing to part with any cash) and taking him to another vet within 5 mins of the call ending for a second opinion.
    Mind you, this advice is coming from a person who refused to see a particular vet because he insisted in calling my cat 'Kitty' all the time despite being corrected on several occasions. Said vet has since moved practice (several people like me in our local practice didn't like him) and we have the best vet in the world now. Unfortunately, he's a little too far from you for convenient travel but he does know pretty much everything about cats and dogs so it's worth keeping them in mind in case of an emergency.

Please let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Mary- I think the vet messed up I didnt buy the haemophilia thing at all and my dad agreed the vet looked worried. To be honest I dont care wether he messed up or not I just want him to fix him and I want my dog back in the morning. I'm so worried that I will ring in the morning and he will have passed:( God help me I wish I never brought him in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

You were doing the best and most responsible thing for your dog and it's future health. Ignore the haters! They're not even worth the internet costs of posting a reply!

Is there someone onsite in your vets overnight?
    If there is, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to see how he's getting on and to put your mind at rest.
    You're not going to get much sleep by the sounds of things anyway and any information you can get might help you to settle for the night.

If not, make it very early in the morning so you know what's happening as soon as you possibly can.

I can only imagine how stressed you must be and how much you're beating yourself up over this, despite you having done nothing wrong so sending you a ((big hug)) from me and my furbabies.

I'm not sure if there is anyone in the vets right now but I dont have credit to ring them so I just have to wait, god this is horrible. I feel so horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

You did the right thing by your dog, you have nothing to feel guilty about. What happened was not your fault.

All my animals have been neutered and I would do the same with any future pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

It sounds like there were blood vessels that continued to haemorrhage after the surgery. These things happen. It's not anyone's fault and I don't think blaming your vet is going to do anyone any favours. Even the most minor subcutaneous blood vessels can start to haemorrhage post op, even when they appear to have clotted as a vet closes the incision. It can happen to very experienced surgeons. Just very unfortunate it happened to your dog.
    More than likely, a haematoma has formed after the surgery, it's a minor complication of it that can be sorted by re-opening the incision, removing the clot, and placing a pressure bandage on the area to prevent recurrence. Calm down, and definitely don't beat yourself up over it. Hope he's ok.

• Advertisement

I rang the vet again this morning and they told me that they operated again this morning and that he was in recovery but they want to keep him for the weekend. They said to ring again in the afternoon but I think I am just going to call in to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

100% you did the right thing for your dog and for ANIMAL WELFARE. My God this country stinks when it comes to abandoned dogs. There are hundreds of dogs with no homes.

You were so good to keep a good eye on your dog - some people might not have been so vigilant.

I can only imagine that your poor fella is getting VIP treatment now and hopefully this will help him heal. Unfortunately your dog is probalby the 1 in 1,000 who had a complication.

We wish you and your dog a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

As many others have already posted and as, I'm sure, many others would agree who haven't posted you were not doing anything wrong by having your dog neutered and, as others have posted in other threads in the past, you're potentially avoiding a variety of issues going into the future with your pet by having it done. Don't blame yourself.

Very best of luck with your pet - we've all had moments of terror regarding our own and we known just how awful these situations make one feel.

I just wanted to give you all another update. I talked to the vet again today and he said that my dog bled again during the night. He worked on him again but said his clotting factor is practically zero. I'm so worried for him now. I wanted to ask the vet if he thought he was going to make it but my son was listening and I'm not sure I wanted to hear the answer anyway. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before. What is the likelyhood that he will stop bleeding? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP what breed is this dog? Several breeds/types have certain types of blood disorders (eg. dobermans) and some are intollerant to some drugs/anaesthetics etc. Do you have any idea which of these is the problem in your particular case?

Hi adrenalinjunkie he is a jack russell cavalier cross. His father was a full jack russell and his mother a half jack russell half cavalier. The vet didnt mention what type of clotting disorder he thought he had but said that he rarely saw a dog like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi adrenalinjunkie he is a jack russell cavalier cross. His father was a full jack russell and his mother a half jack russell half cavalier. The vet didnt mention what type of clotting disorder he thought he had but said that he rarely saw a dog like him.

If you have the name of the disorder it might be worth posting it as someone here might know of similar cases, or have access to information on it.

My dog died this morning. The vet told me that he was delighted with him last night he ate and everything but when he went in to check on him this morning he was after bleeding out. I am sick over him :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

oh no, so sorry to hear that news :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Oh god I'm so sorry to hear this. What an awful thing to have happened :(.

All my thoughts to you.

Run free to your little boy xx

Advertisement