Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats sh**ing in our garden

Options
  • 16-03-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Any ideas how I can keep them out? Have 3 young kids and the back garden is covered in it. Iv tried 'Keep Out' which I bought in Woodies and regular ground pepper (heard it works but doesn't). Anyone got any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any ideas how I can keep them out? Have 3 young kids and the back garden is covered in it. Iv tried 'Keep Out' which I bought in Woodies and regular ground pepper (heard it works but doesn't). Anyone got any ideas??

Do you know who owns it?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I've had the same problem for quite some time. I've tried all the recommended methods but to no avail. I've had one regular visitor and the best deterrent that I have found is WATER. Cats don't seem to like being splashed. What I do is have a pint glass of water ready in a few places to toss at the intruder, or if I'm really lucky I can turn a hose on him. You'd want to see him scatter!!
    Their should be some law against this behaviour. I know that my visitor has now found some other neighbour's garden to use as a loo.
    Best of luck with your endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

scatter pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep water. Invest in a super soaker power water gun. It's fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

You can buy tiger piss from the zoo, scatter it around the perimeter of your garden, the cats wont enter it then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

My Bengal loves water, if you were to throw it over him from a pint glass, or hose him, he would love it! I dont let him out on his own, so he isnt going in others garden as I dare not risk him being stolen or injured. Precious little thing that he is. Have a photo to cheer you all up. :D

dextercloseup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I really dislike cats, mother in law has a rag doll cat, long hair, lazy little fu*ker, spoilt rotten. Whenever we visit he always sits on my lap,think he knows I don't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Apparantly you can just dig a 20cm hole with your shoe heel, kick it in and cover it up ;-), that does the trick on the beach anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Can you put some soft sand outside your garden , specially for the cat.....

they are so lazy they will naturally use it rather than work with heavier

clay...?.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

You can buy tiger piss from the zoo, scatter it around the perimeter of your garden, the cats wont enter it then
    Some years ago, I was advised that TIGER SH*T would do the trick. Contacted Dublin Zoo and they were delighted to help out. Collected several bags of turds, spread them around the garden in the areas where the visitors were getting in. No luck, the cats that time were either too smart or feral and feared nothing. So as I said earlier WATER seems to be my best deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Fill a couple of 2litre water bottles and spread them on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Gorgeous cat!!! I don't let my cats out either, but even when I did let my cats out other cats used to use my garden as a bathroom. It's unpleasant but plenty of animals do this. At least we don't have much mice in Charlesland!! :-)

And I agree I have a water bottle I use to scare the cats away that do get in the garden. Only thing that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Maybe the town wardens could keep an eye on this for us!

vinpaul wrote: »
    Some years ago, I was advised that TIGER SH*T would do the trick. Contacted Dublin Zoo and they were delighted to help out. Collected several bags of turds, spread them around the garden in the areas where the visitors were getting in. No luck, the cats that time were either too smart or feral and feared nothing. So as I said earlier WATER seems to be my best deterrent.

What??? This is hilarious. So you didnt want cat sh*t in your garden, so you went to the zoo and collected a bag of it from one of the largest cats in the world and placed it all around the garden!! AAAAHAAAAAALMAO! :D Youve made my day. :D

the poo wont do it because cats mark their territory with urine, not poo.

hence why i said tiger piss. the little cats will be able to tell from the distinct smell of the urine that theres a big a$$ cat around and hot foot it outta there

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

How exactly do they collect the pee from the tigers? And why would they?

Sorry, but calling the zoo, asking for tiger pee, having them say "sure come on up have as much as you like", sounds pretty daft.

i don't know, but i know my mum got it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sorry, but calling the zoo, asking for tiger pee, having them say "sure come on up have as much as you like", sounds pretty daft.

Give the tiger a little jar to piss in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

They could put a nappy on the tiger, then squeeze the pee out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

A bought a bottle of those green gel pellets and scattered them around in the cat's favourite places - it was great seeing their reaction. Its all a matter of re-education - they soon learn to go somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A comment suggesting animal abuse was removed. If people suggest such abuse again I will have to close the thread and/or issue infractions

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Iv tried 'Keep Out' which I bought in Woodies

Cats can't read, so they'll tend not to obey signs, no matter how sternly worded. You should have known better than to try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Get a dog?, No...hmmm.

I have heard the tiger-pee suggestion before as well. I believe it does work, but how easy it is to get from the zoo I don't know.

I don't fancy the job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Does he look like he a serial uriner!

2a0dvki.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Cat Repellent/Deterrant, How to Keep Cats Out of Your Garden

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about813.html

389856479TGkeSC_th.jpg

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Does he look like he a serial uriner!

2a0dvki.jpg

He is a serial something, his name is "Dexter Morgan!"

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭patrickc68

get a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Get a bigger cat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly ...

Sing along to see how to get rid of cats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Trap them and hand them to the pound - they are strays or they would be controlled by their owners.

If you have walls you could put pigeon strips along the top, that would keep them out if properly done

Advertisement