Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats sh**ing in our garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

White vinegar mixed with water.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6016449_vinegar-cat-repellent.html.

Be VERY careful that you don't spray this on plants or grass or it will damage and / or kill them. If you apply it neat on soil you may even make that soil sterile for quite a time.

But try it with a small bottle of vinegar and then if it works, track down a 5L can. It will be cheaper.

The only caveat is that with our wet weather, vinegar can lose its efficacy. However, its safe and harmless to use and, depending which plants you use it near, can be beneficial to them due to its acidity. e.g. Azalea.

Edit:- Of course, I mean to spray this around border areas or entry points. Not to spray the poor cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Do you eat oranges? They hate the citrus smell, so chucking the peel on the areas they go to will put them off, but once it dries out it's no good anymore, so needs to be replaced regularly. My cat won't come anywheer near me if I have recently peeled an orange.

There are also quite a few plants that cats dislike a lot, ours avoids lemongrass and a big citrus smelling geranium we have. I have no idea the actual name of it, but a google should tell you more.

But other than that, a water gun and a good aim works wonders with most cats. I used mini ones inside to stop Loki scratching the door and jumping up on kitchen counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Looks like a lot of people with the same problem. I have 2 small kids and I can't let them into the garden without checking it first. It really pisses me off that I have to clean up someone else's pet ****. Cat owners don't seem to have a problem letting their pets roam a defecate at will.

Cats roam in circles so if your garden is the toilet stop then thats your tuff ....er.....****. they are territorial and tend to stick to the same path.

That Citroenella Pet Stop stuff will not last , I tried it a few times and it doesn't work past the short term ,and its pretty expensive. I have a box that emits a signal they don't like and it seems to be working, for the last few weeks anyway.

Advertisement