Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creme fraiche alternative?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Whisk an equal amount of sour cream and normal cream together. Use it straight away or leave it to sit at room temp for a couple of hours to allow it to thicken and sour more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Natural Greek style yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Sour cream will be just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sour cream is creme fraiche?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sour cream is creme fraiche.

Trust me it's not. Sour cream is thicker than creme fraiche. I tried substituting sour cream for creme fraiche in a recipe before and it was a disaster, it just doesn't melt the same when when cooked.

A quick wikipedia tells me that sour cream has 18 to 20% butterfat where as creme fraiche is higher at 28%. It is actually less "soured" than normal sour cream.

I'd go with yoghurt instead.

OP, what part of the US are you in? If you can get creme mexicana it's very similar to creme fraiche.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

As it's originally from a Swedish recipe, you'd be fine with sour cream - just beat it with a little single cream to counteract any overt tartness in the sour cream. OR add the sour cream bit by bit into single cream, until you have your desired consistency to resemble creme fraiche.
    SC sometimes curdles when cooking, but with 2 stints of 15 mins in the oven, I don't think it will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Thanks guys! I'm in Seattle.

I did end up using greek yogurt, it turned out okish for my first attempt!

Advertisement