Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving with no notice

Options
  • 16-03-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been offered a job with an immediate start and I am trying to negotiate my notice period in my current job.

The current job is Public Service, General low grade admin, fixed term, one months notice. I will be let go next year.
    They do not want to let me go any earlier than notice period.

The new job is in the area I was studying, graduate position, and the exact ideal position I have been trying to find for over two years. They wanted me start straight away but will push it out of a week or so (there are reasons why the month does not suit at all)

I am trying to negotiate my way out of the full term but my bosses won't move (although it is company policy notice can be waived at the agreement of both parties). Their attitude is that I need to give one month, if I leave they can't stop me but they won't agree to it.

What should I do? I know I signed up for a month notice, but after 3 years here obviously I want to leave on good terms and would like them to meet me in the middle. I know they don't want me to go full stop, but they also recognised in the past that I have done so much work and there are no opportunities for me here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

How important is it for you to have a reference from your current job? If it's not terribly important, then obviously they've not that hold over you.

I'd get it into their heads very soon that you definitely won't be there any more in two weeks time, so you'd like to plan how to hand over your duties over the next 2 weeks. Emphasise that you'll do everything you can to make it as easy as possible and that you'd like to leave on good terms - but this is the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

My issue would be with your new employeer.
    They should very well understand the notice period required.

All you can do is express to your current boss how important this new role is to you and the reason for that you need the reduction in the notice period.Perhaps use some due holidays if you can(although some employers don't allow holidays to be taken during notice period).

If after all that you can't shorten it substantially then advise the contact/HR of the new company.
    I don't see why you should be the one to risk a reference from a 3 year employeer to start working for the new company a few days earlier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They wanted me start straight away but will push it out of a week or so (there are reasons why the month does not suit at all)

First of all, every new employer would like you to start right away and there are always good reasons for doing so. But most employers respect the notice periods and don't put undue pressure on you. If your new employer is adamant that you must start right away, then I would pass on them. If they treat you this way before you even sign up, then you can expect more of the same down the line....

Advertisement