Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad 1 & Apple-tv airplay ?

• 16-03-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

I've an Ipad 1 and am considering getting an apple tv mainly for getting videos playing on the ipad onto the tv.

Does airplay for videos work with the iPad 1 ?
    I'm only asking as mirroring wasnt allowed for performance reasons so I'm cautious as to whether any streaming is allowed at all with the ipad 1

And maybe a silly question, but is airplay available for videos being played by the native player or must it be something played in a supported app (like bbc iPlayer)
    a good example of videos outside an app would be aertv.ie which is a streaming video on a website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi OP. Yes, you can play videos on the iPad 1 via an Apple TV. You can't do mirroring, which was what the ipad 2 offered but video steaming is fine. AFAIK the streaming has to be supported by the app. Some apps don't allow it from what I've seen but you'll find many do, such as Netflix, the native iOS video player, FilmOn and Plex to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

squonk wrote: »
    Hi OP. Yes, you can play videos on the iPad 1 via an Apple TV. You can't do mirroring, which was what the ipad 2 offered but video steaming is fine. AFAIK the streaming has to be supported by the app. Some apps don't allow it from what I've seen but you'll find many do, such as Netflix, the native iOS video player, FilmOn and Plex to name a few.
    thanks!
    Thats exactly what i needed to know.

FilmOn app and native video (on web pages etc) is whats really important to me so it looks like Apple are getting €100 odd off me in the near future.

Will pop round to the Apple Store on the way home to marvel at the queue for the ipad 3 and see if the new apple tv is in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

just tested the aertv.ie site and the filmon app with an iphone 4s and an apple tv 2 both running the latest software and it airplayed, so the ipad 1 should also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

thanks!
    Thats exactly what i needed to know.

FilmOn app and native video (on web pages etc) is whats really important to me so it looks like Apple are getting €100 odd off me in the near future.

Will pop round to the Apple Store on the way home to marvel at the queue for the ipad 3 and see if the new apple tv is in stock.

Whenever I've used AirPlay to play FilmOn from my iPhone to an Apple TV 2 the stream only played for a minute before stopping, even though it plays continuously on the phone (when not using AirPlay). You probably need to pay for a subscription to FilmOn for it to work the way you want.

carrotcake wrote: »
    Whenever I've used AirPlay to play FilmOn from my iPhone to an Apple TV 2 the stream only played for a minute before stopping, even though it plays continuously on the phone (when not using AirPlay). You probably need to pay for a subscription to FilmOn for it to work the way you want.
    Just been to the Apple store and got myself a new apple tv thanks to the positive and helpful comments here! :)

I'll check it tonight to see what the story is with filmon. I have the free filmon login so will see if thats enough to get it going.
    If not then the bbc player still does live tv so that'll do for the meantime to watch football focus on a saturday morning in comfort without pr1cking about with cables that our 2 kids tend to pull on and put my laptop in danger of a massive crash.
    BTW. Filmon also go into a different more restrictive mode during high demand shows like x factor or rugby intenationals so if you tested it during one of these times then that might have been the problem either.

• Advertisement

Ok. Have played around with the new apple tv this evening.

Filmon conked on me after two min as said above so logged in with my free account.
    It conked again but then I set the screen lock to never go int standby mode and was able to watch bbc in great quality without a proxy off the iPad 1 for well over a half an hour before I turned it off myself.
    Picture quality was very decent on my 32 inch Sony Telly.

Aer tv also worked 100% so all in all I'm well satisfied with this air play feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Sounds good. It must be a bug in FilmOn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

I wanted to come back to this thread as my advice to the OP wasn't 100% accurate. I bought an Apple TV for my parents and only get to play with it when I'm back there for the weekend. I've had problems consistently with Netflix on my iPhone 4 and iPad 1 but I can get NetFlix working via mirroring with the iPad 2. Netflix also suffers from the screen shutting off and you have to set your iPad to never sleep which is a pain. I'm sure it'll be fixed. I see however that the OP has purchased and they're happy so, hey, we've one more happy member in the Boards Apple family :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

squonk wrote: »
    I've had problems consistently with Netflix on my iPhone 4 and iPad 1 but I can get NetFlix working via mirroring with the iPad 2.

why not sign into netflix on the ATV itself?

Advertisement