Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby drinking less milk

• 16-03-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭

My son is 9 months old and up until now he has 7oz bottles with his 3 meals and then a 8oz bottle before bedtime. But the last few days he is stopping halfway through and bottle and starts crying and pushing it away but he tends he eat his solids fine! Anyone any ideas whats happening?? I am weary that he is not drinking enough formula a day at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm there with you only my lad is only 5 months.. he'll drink 2 7ozs bottles but will leave an oz and finish a 7oz at night.. we've just started solids 5 weeks ago and we've kind of settled into a routine now where he's eating with some regularity and back sleeping at night... I think that he's just growing up a bit and doesnt' need quite as much milk cos a lot of the food is quite watery..he's not constipated and he's quite content.. so i figure he's ok.. i hope :rolleyes: he's my 4th and i'm still not sure.. it's all a guessing game, but if he was dehydrated his lips would be dry he'd be constipated and he'd be cranky .. unless you leave a little bit longer between his feeds? is he teething and the bottle is hurting his gums? or maybe a little water between feeds? good luck with it..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

He has 4 hours between feeds, same as usual. He has a little water between feeds but I mean a little, few dribbles! He is teething so maybe bottle is hurting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Maybe he doesn't like the bottle?

I have two boys and neither took a bottle after 3 months. They don't like milk, and still don't drink milk. I substituted with petit filous and grated cheese, but they're both fine and healthy primary school children, no repurcussions.

I'm not telling you not to persist with the bottle if you feel he needs it, but he's trying to tell you something I think. They generally know what they want and don't mind telling you :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I didn't bottle feed my kids but I know from breastfeeding that frpm around nine months the milk supply (which the baby regulates) started to drop off a bit. If I was expressing milk I found that I wasn't getting as much. It makes sense that if they're getting more nutrition from food then they'll be getting less from milk, I suppose. I really couldn't say if this translates to formula feeding though. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

My little man is 8 months and on 3 bottles a day. 7 oz in the morning and lunch time and only 3oz going to bed. I add formula to his weetabix too. He loves his food. I spoke to the phn and she said there was no fear of him not getting enough fluids. There would loads in the fruit and veg he is eating too. I think its only natural that would be losing interest in bottle and becoming more dependant on food. It could be teething at the moment for u and he could resume his usual amounts in a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Maybe it's time to give the sippy cup a go..?? he's not as reliant on the bottle now getting 3 meals.. this is how i rationalize it to myself with my lad.. my eldest went from breastfeeding at 9 months to water, she never liked cows milk and to this day , she's 13, she won't eat cheese yogurt or creamy sauces. She started eating cream about a year ago and loves icecream :rolleyes:

For the last 2 weeks i've been trying to get the youngest back into routine.. he nearly stopped drinking bottles altogether.. it was a battle to even get him back on 3. I tried everything from every 2nd feed bottle to a few ozs and then food to taking him off solids altogether..

i tried it every way but without the spoon feed he was waking up during the night for a bottle ..which he hadn't done for months...eventually he just found a rhythm that suits him and i'll go with him.. your baby knows what he wants and if it's less milk then so be it.. i just argued with my lad cos he was getting constipated.. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At 9 months my baby was down to 3 240ml bottles at day plus meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

well he seems to be getting back on track now although he is suffering with a cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Seems like plenty of milk, but if you think he is still thirsty, Might be frustrated by teat speed on the bottle. Maybe go up one or switch to sippy cup.

Advertisement