Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat problem

• 16-03-2012 11:34am

Hi guys, I have 5 cats at the moment, I had two females to begin with and one of the cats ran away for a week the night before i had both of them booked in to be neutered and came home pregnant!

so she had 3 kittens and since they were all male and totally adorable we decided to keep them all since we have a fair size garden and live in the country. The problem is that since the kittens have weaned and are feeding themselves the mother cat absolutely HATES them, she spits and attacks them whenever she gets the chance. She hates them going near her, they dont try to play with her anymore since they are afraid of her.

She also has started fighting with the other female cat whom she used to get on great with, and sometimes she spits and hisses at me when i try to pet her! we have two dogs too and she "hangs" with them all day, she has no problem playing with them, but she hates the rest of the cats.

She used to be a sweet little pet and she seems to have a total personality change. Is she rejecting the kittens because she thinks her job is done with them and they should have moved on? also they are bigger than her, do you think she feels threatened by them. Funnily enough the three kittens and herself were neutered a few weeks ago and she went crazy when the vet took the kittens away to be neutered, she doesnt like strangers being around them.

Will she get on with them again in time or will she always resent them? im just wondering as i never had cats before this so i dont really know much about their behaviour

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Strange, I wonder was she neutered during her next season - mother cats can come into season straight while they are still nursing. It sounds hormonal:)
    My mother cat's personality changed for the better when the kittens were grown, she calmed down when she didn't have to defend them anymore. We kept two and the three of them are inseperable. She also gets on fine with my male cat, but dislikes the female. I guess they all have their own personalities.

Has she been checked out by a vet, it could be that she's in pain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

This same kind of thing happened to me but it was when the kitten I had kept was neutered, the mum went mad and tried to attack her on sight. They were as thick as thieves before the kitten was neutered at 6 months, The mum was neutered about 2 months after the litter. Panda- the kitten- had complications with the surgery and was wearing a collar so we had to keep them seperated until she healed. Pushkin - the mum - spent more and more time away from the house and eventually rehoused herself. She hated the vets and I thinks she associated the smell with her own recent neutering.

I was gutted but I used to see her around for a few years until I moved.

Advertisement