Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GHI Team in the wrong?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Ok here is a story from the most recent episode of GHI. I have not seen it yet so I will reserve comment.
    Here is a piece of the article then a link to the rest of it:
    NOTE: This post is not directed at any one person on this team merely curious to see what the public opinion is.

"know the Ghost Hunters International crew have been saying all season that this was going to be an all new season that is nothing like what we’ve seen before I didn’t really think they would take it all this far.

This episode was titled “Sacrificed Mayan Spirits: Belize” and included investigating some Mayan temple ruins with a guy that thinks the spirits in residence are going to start following him home. Somehow in the middle of explaining all of the activity that has taken place at the site the caretaker and some of the television executives Ghost Hunters International team decided that re-enacting a bloodletting scene would help them get better ratings connect with the spirits." MORE

GHI Team In The wrong? 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i have seen it and I dont understand the hoo haa. The client, a tour guide for the area, stated they occasionaly re-enact ancient rituals for the tourists etc. On one occasion they done a bloodletting ritual (as the place had been used for human sacrifice). Apparently its a traditional mayan ritual that was used there 3000 years ago. When he had tried that, weird **** had started to happen so the GHI team decided to do a ritual of thier own and see.

I think the producers should have put a 'Dont do this at home warning' - but outside of that, there was mild opposition from kris williams. nothing too major mind you, just a 'i think thats weird' type of opposition ... until that is, the show aired and americans started to give out about it encouraging people to cut themselves ... which is a load of bollocks. There were replicating what the client had done to see if they could get the same results, not encouraging people to cut themselves. As for ratings - its on TV for gods sake. Of course they want ratings.

Anyway - everything was fine til Kris Williams seen the reaction and then she went on twitter and basically hung her whole team out to dry.

Its a TV show , for entertainment. Although getting a bit like Fear Factor now.

i think in the circumstances, they were trying to replicate results. nothing wrong with that ... though as I said, a warning would have been appropriate for those impressionable people who buy all the gear or do everything they see on paranormal tv. At the same time, anything on TV is entertainment and so should be viewed in that light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ghosthunter73

I just watchted it myself and I didn't see any big deal either. If the investigator was willing and it's not like the guide sliced her wide open. No big deal I also think that if Kris had such a big problem with it she should have spoken to the team and Pilgram not Twitter.

Did they catch a ghost after all that ?

• Advertisement

the usual - noises etc etc. like, they're in a jungle ffs.

I think Paul got a bit pissed off the way Kris disowned the team on twitter while the show was airing. Alot of people not very impressed as she is one of the joint team leaders ... yet she didnt back the team when public opinion went the other way. Apparently she wasnt that annoyed about it UNTIL public opinion swung the wrong way - but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

maccored wrote: »
    Anyway - everything was fine til Kris Williams seen the reaction and then she went on twitter and basically hung her whole team out to dry.

she really really did!it was unpleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I haven't watched it, but I do think that is a step too far in the name of entertainment TBH. Blood letting, what next? A lot of these entertainment spook shows are all about the shock factor... stay tuned, see what comes up next, yada yada bullsh!t. Besides which, so many make me laugh, they go to different countries, trying to connect with spirits from hundreds of years ago, and speak english- at least go and learn a few of the terms or words that those "spirits" would have known when they were alive.... maybe they'd get a reaction of some sort then. They analyse the data listening for words- english words.... oh give me a break.

the whole english thing isnt completely true. Between them they speak quite a few languages, and normally try to communicate in the local tongue if they know any of it.

Here's what Barry says about the whole thing:
    All the hoo haa was a terrible insult to the Mayan Culture I felt. This is a process which was used and still is used to contact their dieties and it was a decision we did not take lightly.

I have heard people call it Occult, which in their ignornace where refering to 'Satanic' which again is an ignorance as this is a subculture within the Christian field and did not understand this was part of a culture which out dates the developed American nation by thosuands of years and is still practised in parts of Central America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ghosthunter73

maccored wrote: »
    the whole english thing isnt completely true. Between them they speak quite a few languages, and normally try to communicate in the local tongue if they know any of it.

Here's what Barry says about the whole thing:

That's very true over the years I have heard Baz try to comunicate in several launguages although he might not be fluent I think he tries to learn a few things in each to try to communicate that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement