Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What percentage did you save on the asking price of your property?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Im not asking for direct monetary figures here from anyone, but it would be useful to know, for any recently purchased property, what percentage below the asking you paid and a very general location.

It might help others in the bargaining process, or at least get an idea of how others have faired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

A friend got there's for about 20% below asking, but it all depends on how accurate the asking prices are. Some to me, look 50%(and more) above what they should be, others look to be within 10% of the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Good idea OP, there's 10 threads a week about what people should offer but no info on what houses are actually selling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Maynooth - bank sale, closed on 8% below asking price. The asking price was already 18% below the lowest price house for sale in the same estate. Note though that this was a semi-detached house whereas the one we bought was terraced. Not muh different in the size though

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Friend of my old man who paid 65% less in cash purchase of the asking price.

Dont even consider any of the asking prices, plus house prices are going down down down over the next few years.

When repossessions come in & when the media talk of the new house tax increasing over the next few years watch house prices drop even further!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

A reasonably priced house (is there such a thing ?) in Portmarnock went for 18% below asking last week .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Isnt there supposed to be some new official website starting about the sale prices of houses? that can be accessed by the public?
    be good if it included the asking price and the sale price, but so long as even the selling information is available that gives a better guideline then relying on EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Dublin 8 - 16.5% approximately...

We were looking in a very specific part of D8. Within a few months of us going sale agreed (Oct 2011 - Jan 2012) another 6 houses in the area sold. My suspicion is that like us all these were done without the help of financial institutions, and all had hit a "sweet" point in price terms - relative speaking...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Didn't understand the question, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

Cork - 12% below asking.

If the EA is to be believed, which I think might not be that far fetched in this case, it is also 45% below a previous asking price during the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't mean to rock the boat here, assuming its only for % below, but I know of a house locally that went for over 15% above the bank asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't mean to rock the boat here, assuming its only for % below, but I know of a house locally that went for over 15% above the bank asking price.

Doesn't really count if it was an Allsop/Space auction or something similar where the "asking" is actually a reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ok sorry, I'll leave now .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

2011. 33%. Dublin 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

West County Limerick, selling price was 12% below asking price on a 3 bedroom bungalow. Sale was completed within the last few months.

To give a wee bit of background, the house was structurally sound but needs some small bit of work to modernise it and bring it up to scratch...nothing too major and the asking price was in my opinion pretty reasonable (in todays market). The house was on the market for a considerable period of time and the vendors dropped the price by just over 50% in one go. Soon after this it went sale agreed. I wasn't the buyer by the way:)

Advertisement