Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Band Names

Options
  • 16-03-2012 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

I was in The Pint last night, looking at band posters and was quite amused at some of the names on show, which almost always refer to death or something nasty like that. One I particularly liked was Cattle Decapitation.

But it led me to think. Why is this the industry standard in metal? Is it seen as a light joke, or is it serious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

happyman81 wrote: »
    I was in The Pint last night, looking at band posters and was quite amused at some of the names on show, which almost always refer to death or something nasty like that. One I particularly liked was Cattle Decapitation.

But it led me to think. Why is this the industry standard in metal? Is it seen as a light joke, or is it serious?

Its cause all the good names are taken for the last 20 years.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's always funny trying to decipher the logos of Black metal bands :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I dunno, maybe for the shock value, announcing themselves, making a stamp or whatever. Other things I don't get are the evil eye sign, the front man swearing as much as possible while talking to the audience, the competitive/sports metal attitude which is antithetical to musical expression by conforming it purely to the domain of technique and the overman/"me stong" philosophy of certain metal fans and musicians which is as lame as it gets. Also the conservatism of metal, everything electronic being evil etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's always funny trying to decipher the logos of Black metal bands :p

One of my cousin's is big into Black metal/Grind etc. I remember seeing him wearing a tshirt from some festival he was at and I gave him a good slagging over some of the band names/logos on the shirt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

maybe for the shock value

Probably true. If so, it has all been done before with Sid Vicious and punk. :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement