Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to seal a limestone flag patio?

• 16-03-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I have laid a 40 m2 patio and path with grey Irish limestone flags /tiles. It looks nice but I have two issues that I would like advice on.

The first is stains, my beloved son decided on some bicycle maintenance and I found out that WD40, oil and rust stain limestone and even a high-pressure hose won’t shift them!

The second is it looks better when wet, it darkens and you can see the fossils clearly.

I had not planned to seal it as I / we thought it unnecessary and might create problems (slipperiness, high maintenance, cost) but it looks like I will have to.
    The idea that a barbeque /party / bacon sambo would lead to stains defeats the purpose and all the work of laying it in the first place

The stone supplier used to sell “Aquaseal Fast acting patio seal” but that is no longer manufactured.

Advice on Sealers or other treatments would be welcome, I have goggled it and phoned builders suppliers and tile shops but was hoping to hear from somebody that had dealt successfully with this problem

Advertisement