Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending network - need a sanity check please

Options
  • 16-03-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

can someone sanity check this idea for me please.

I have a pair of Zyxel 4 port wireless routers & currently only use one of them for main internet connection. I've managed to work out how to use one in bridge mode, so by plugging it into a port of the original router, I now have the ability to extend the wireless & have three more working ports courtesy of the second router.

What I'm thinking of doing it using a homeplug ethernet over power solution so in effect I connect the main internet router to the homeplug and then place the other homeplug (on the same power circuit) downstairs behind the tv. I then plug the other router (in bridge mode) into the downstairs homeplug with the hope of getting extended wireless range and three ethernet ports that I can use for PS3 etc.

Can anyone see any glaring problems with this ?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

That should be ok, I do something similar with my internet router and a apple airport express.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are these modem integrated routers or just stand alone routers with WAN ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Spear wrote: »
    Are these modem integrated routers or just stand alone routers with WAN ports?

Modem integrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm sure the bridging setting just bridges from the dsl port to the lan, this is not what you need. Don't enable it.
    Instead disable dhcp, the firewall and upnp so that it behaves like an access point

Advertisement