Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Options/ideas?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I removed a tree from the back garden in order to make room for a shed I built. This has left my garden exposed to the back neighbours & I would like to get some privacy back. I am looking for a tree that would grow no higher that say 20 feet. Something with alot of leaf coverage & although its not important I would like one that had a nice flower to it:confused:

Im not sure what type of soil I have but I can say its pretty wet. I would like a tree that is almost matured since I dont wont to wait 5 - 10 years before it reached its height.

Any recomendations are welcome:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Hello all,

I removed a tree from the back garden in order to make room for a shed I built. This has left my garden exposed to the back neighbours & I would like to get some privacy back. I am looking for a tree that would grow no higher that say 20 feet. Something with alot of leaf coverage & although its not important I would like one that had a nice flower to it:confused:

Im not sure what type of soil I have but I can say its pretty wet. I would like a tree that is almost matured since I dont wont to wait 5 - 10 years before it reached its height.

Hi

Does it have to be evergreen?

If not I would go for Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticlier' It is IMO one of the nicest trees for small gardens growing to 20 foot with masses of white spring flowers and beautiful autumn colours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

muckyhands wrote: »
    Hi

If not I would go for Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticlier' It is IMO one of the nicest trees for small gardens with masses of white spring flowers and beautiful autumn colours. :)

Nope, Doesnt have to be evergreen. That Chanticlier does look well. Ill search for some more pictures. Thank you.

Nope, Doesnt have to be evergreen. That Chanticlier does look well. Ill search for some more pictures. Thank you.

Heres another pic. :)

Heres another pic. :)

From what I read, its possible that they could reach a height of 25 -35 feet. Is this true? would that be too big for a back garden in a average housing estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pretty autumn colour!

• Advertisement

From what I read, its possible that they could reach a height of 25 -35 feet. Is this true? would that be too big for a back garden in a average housing estate?

How big is your garden?

Agreed there is a lot of conflicting info out there about eventual heights but they are often used in landscaping and are recommended for narrow streets. I dont imagine you would have problems with its height in an estate garden and bear in mind its mature height is approx. 20- 30 years away. I have seen them in estates in gardens and as street trees too.

How big is your garden?

Agreed there is a lot of conflicting info out there about eventual heights but they are often used in landscaping and are recommended for narrow streets. I dont imagine you would have problems with its height in an estate garden and bear in mind its mature height is approx. 20- 30 years away. I have seen them in estates in gardens and as street trees too.

Grass/green area is roughly 20 x 50 feet. I would like to locate it roughly 10 feet from my brick shed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lovely tree indeed,love the flowers and autumn colours on it there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Grass/green area is roughly 20 x 50 feet. I would like to locate it roughly 10 feet from my brick shed.

I tell you what,that tree would be lovely in your garden then..:)

A few other ideas keeping on the smaller side of things.....

Consider also the Strawberry tree, Arbutus unedo, about 7M and evergreen with white flowers autumn to winter at the same time as last years red fruits ripen up. Really beautiful.

Acer griseum is another great tree that is quite slow growing so worth getting as a fairly mature specimen which might suit you too. Beautiful bark and autumn colour.

Have a look at ornamental cherries and crab apples too, Prunus and Malus sp. A lot of varieties are available.

Weeping pear, Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula' has grey green leaves and white spring flowers.

Hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata ' Pauls scarlet' is a nice tree growing to about 5M with red flowers spring to early summer and is decidious so nice autumn colour.

Dont forget a lot of plants considered and sold as shrubs/ hedging plants make nice small trees if grown/ pruned as single stemmed trees, Crataegus being a case in point. :)

• Advertisement

Just to add you said your soil is pretty wet but I dont know how wet exactly. It could just be from compaction which happened while the new shed was being built but I dont know so....

You are in a good position though now I would imagine to possibly improve the soil and its drainage if needed. (for example by adding organic matter and grit).

If I can help/ advise at all further feel free. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hello all,

Hi

If not I would go for Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticlier' It is IMO one of the nicest trees for small gardens growing to 20 foot with masses of white spring flowers and beautiful autumn colours. :)

That tree is lovely. Was going to get 2 Cherry Blossoms for front garden but might get 2 of these . Are they found in most garden centers ?

km79 wrote: »
    That tree is lovely. Was going to get 2 Cherry Blossoms for front garden but might get 2 of these . Are they found in most garden centers ?

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/pyrus-chanticleer----flowering-pear-tree/pyrus_chanticleerpd.aspx

Thanks for all the info mucky. The chanticleer is number one on the list so far. I put in drainage so the soil is not as wet as it used to be. The back neighbours gardan is 2m higher than mine so I reckon thats why the soil was so wet. I definitly need more info when it comes to planting whatever tree I choose so ill pop some questions at you then.

Thank you
    Richard

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/pyrus-chanticleer----flowering-pear-tree/pyrus_chanticleerpd.aspx

Thanks for all the info mucky. The chanticleer is number one on the list so far. I put in drainage so the soil is not as wet as it used to be. The back neighbours gardan is 2m higher than mine so I reckon thats why the soil was so wet. I definitly need more info when it comes to planting whatever tree I choose so ill pop some questions at you then.

Thank you
    Richard

No problem at all.

Happy to help. :)

Advertisement