Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban downhill cancelled.

Options
  • 16-03-2012 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

So there was to be a major event in Letterkenny and a first for Ireland, an urban downhill mountain biking race, held this year, well not any more :mad:

http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/objection_means_letterkenny_downhill_race_cancelled2

I cannot understand why anyone would see fit to object to this, the town council were 100% behind the event and even tried to convince the objector to reconsider but they stubbornly refused. I can only see business' benefiting from the event with people looking to submit entries from all over Ireland and the some interest from abroad too.

As the saying goes it's always a few people spoil the fun for everyone else :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

obvously the owner of the business doesnt need extra business (or cant see past his own nose) was looking forward to this shame

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have seen videos of events like this online, and it looks fantastic.
    Letterkenny is perfectly suitable for it as well with its hilly nature.

Whoever objected should be named and shamed, but how can such a thing be shot down by one objection? Isn't there a general consensus that should overrule any issues someone would have? Currently it looks like it needs 100% approval from everyone or it wont happen.

The whole planning process needs to be looked at. But sure its donegal, people have been saying that for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just seen this as well. Would have been a fantasic event for the town and region, and am sure with have drawn a big crowd, from both MTB'ers, and people just curious on what it was all about.

Thinking the local business probably objected as it was some thing new and different.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

What a disgrace.. looks like letterkenny will remain a "ghost town" as long there is a "buisness" like this in operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

What a joke.
    Whichever business it was should be named and shamed.
    I for one would object to their objection, and I'm not an MTB'er.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

I would like to hear the nature of their objection.

Some people in this county simply don't want progress be it infrastructure, sport, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's always one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I do not know the first thing about this type of event but from what I have read and listened to it would bring people into thd town people spend money and if it's done right people come back and they tell their friends and they come back.
    But it all stops before it gets started because of one business really the Council must look at this and over ride the objection in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know no one will want to name the business that ruined it for everyone elsebut does anyone know the route the event was supposed to take and we could probably figure out ourselves who the objector was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭geeman

interesting...don't think anything like this in ireland before.
    i'm in dublin but keen on mountain biking and probably would have taken part in it.

i found the route on the donegal mtb forums

http://vimeo.com/28540218

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

makes sense judging by comments made on donegal mtb...purely speculation but "private land" and "business" ...can't see much of that until the very end.
    The proposed route contained a section on private land. Insurance had been agreed on the rest of the route, but a solution could not be found on a particular section necessary for the course and it was on this point that the approval could not be sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Unless it's officially confirmed who the person was we wont be going down the guessing route (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

geeman wrote: »
    interesting...don't think anything like this in ireland before.
    i'm in dublin but keen on mountain biking and probably would have taken part in it.

i found the route on the donegal mtb forums

http://vimeo.com/28540218

Was that the actual route, or just a video of one of their spins. Could be potential for some spills going accross the market sqaure of a wet day.

Looking at it though it doesn't actually go past many businesses, unless it was from someone form the mainstreet, concerned that there would be no movment from the top to bottom due to route intersecting it.

Think I agree with one of the previous posters, take it to Derry, another hilly town, mix and new archertecture. Would be a great advert for them, Letterkennys loss.

I don't know if it the exact route but i'd guess so..

There's also a map of it

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/112031327

As said, the organizers mentioned "private land" along the route.
    The owners objected for whatever reasons..presumably safety concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I imagine it was some old crusty who objected:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

In case you missed Mufflers note a few posts ago, even though most people will have worked out where it is but please don't name names (even with ***) until its confirmed. Next time a business / person is mentioned without proof will result in the thread being locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

The business/landowner made the right call if insurance couldn’t be agreed. If an accident took place they could be taken to the cleaners. What should happen is that the law should be changed not making the landowner liable for injuries that take place during such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

The business/landowner made the right call if insurance couldn’t be agreed. If an accident took place they could be taken to the cleaners. What should happen is that the law should be changed not making the landowner liable for injuries that take place during such an event.

If that video is representative of the route planned i agree with you.. & again if that video is the route planned then it would cause major disruption to the business at hand with parking etc

Could a different route - away from any buisness premises not be planned & submitted??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

AFAIK the insurance end was all in place. The permission was the last piece to the puzzle

• Advertisement
Advertisement