Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflux, colic and now a cold - how do you cope?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

My 3 month old has been diagnosed with reflux and is on the max dose of Losec.. As well as this he has colic and now has a cold which means he is struggling to sleep and feed. He was feeding still every 3 hours and waking once in the night but now the night feeds have increased again as he is eating little due to his blocked nose. Was at the paediatrician on monday and she said he is very healthy aside from this tg ...

My OH is very good but works away a bit and I feel so over stressed and trapped.. I dont really have anyone to take him as my parents are not able for him when he is upset.

How did anyone get through this phase cos I just cant imagine life being normal again and am beginning to find it all very upsetting..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My solution for everything but is she allergic to her formula?
    Warm baths might help him.
    The new meds the doctor gave him will hopefully help too.
    it isn't always easy but usually it doesn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Its hard seeing your little one sick, I remember a few years ago, my daughter was diagnosed diabetic age 7, while she was in hospital i was on the way into her and someone crashed into my car, i had a new born and his heal prick come back with a problem, then my husband had cancer, then my 2 year old wasnt developing normals and autism was questioned, then my dad died. we had to fight the school over discrimination against our daughter, our youngest is going in for an op in 2 months. (in the last 5 years we've called an ambulance twice for my daughter and she has been admitted to hospital 7 times) We got hit, after hit, after hit.

I did speak with my gp and he signed me off work for stress and gave me xanax and told me to go back for Prozac if i needed it, i didn't even take the xanax, i just needed a break. I had no family over here to help me, i pulled my self through it. But ive ended up giving my self ulcers do to stress.

If you need help ask, if your feeling down talk to the gp.

Can you leave baby with daddy and have a little own time? even if you pop over to your parents for a coffee? or meet friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My solution for everything but is she allergic to her formula?.

I am beginning to wonder that too... After his first burp in the bottle, he cant concentrate on the rest as he is kicking and pushing... He is on aptamil with Lactease drops plus the Losec....

If you need help ask, if your feeling down talk to the gp.

I dont think i feel down, just very stressed... Have family stresses as well due to the loss of my only sibling last year but think i am ok... Just the lack of freedom and the constant attention the baby needs thats getting to me.
    Can you leave baby with daddy and have a little own time??

Yeah but he is very busy... is great when he can but just seems like he is here less and less due to work and he has kids from a previous relationship which obviously he needs to see. There are here this weekend and that will cause more stress cos the previous 'baby' who is 7, doesnt like the new competition.... The joys...

I dont think i feel down, just very stressed... Have family stresses as well due to the loss of my only sibling last year but think i am ok... Just the lack of freedom and the constant attention the baby needs thats getting to me.

Yeah but he is very busy... is great when he can but just seems like he is here less and less due to work and he has kids from a previous relationship which obviously he needs to see. There are here this weekend and that will cause more stress cos the previous 'baby' who is 7, doesnt like the new competition.... The joys...

Well tell him to make time, he should be able to mind all of his kids, and take advantage if mothers day, stay in bed and let daddy run round doing everything. when my guy had cancer if felt like I was looking after 4 babies. sometimes you would just want to leave the house even it was just an hour, to give the head a rest.

It will get easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Saline spray for the nose... it's the best thing for clearing it.. i'd also agree an allergy sounds more likely the problem. I know with my 3rd boy i thought he had a cold cos he was stuffy and snotty for a few day but when it went on i went to the pharmacist and asked for something else.. she looked at him and said milk problems..she was right.. he was tested for intolerance but came back negative.. my gp thought just dairy intolerance as i couldn't take dairy for a few years previous and during the pregnancy.. so his system didn't know what to do with it. His symptoms were reflux , he had sore hands from chewing them, wind and very runny nappies. He'd cry for about a half hour after every bottle and you just knew it was the bottle that caused it.

I was after changing from aptimal to the comfort and colic but this didn't work either.. so i went back to the ordinary one with colief drops and gavisgon infant..every bottle was like making potions but it worked;)
    2 years on and he's fine.. we weaned him onto dairy gradually but even still if he eats a little to much he gets the runs (nice :D) so needless to say when pregnant with number 4 i weaned myself onto dairy and he has no problems with it.. professionals can sometimes be very quick to say colic.. but pain is very hard to listen to in a small baby..
    Go back to the gp and query intolerance or allergy. Be fairly insistent, dont' be fobbed off with worried mammy syndrome.. if it's negative then you'll know and you can try something else..

Yep I suppose I just feel an hour here and there isnt enough... I want a break from it... that sounds terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mountain

Osteopathy is great for colic, and may have some benefits for the reflux as well,
    it is certainly worth trying,

cbyrd wrote: »
    His symptoms were reflux , he had sore hands from chewing them, wind and very runny nappies

Its the same. he has the hands chewed off himself and i thought he was starting to teeth...

Just rang the doctor and Ill bring in a sample on Monday.

Yep I suppose I just feel an hour here and there isnt enough... I want a break from it... that sounds terrible.

No it doesn't, when your at the GPS on Monday tell them how you are feeling. Good luck.

*hugs*

• Advertisement

Well I am just dropping off the sample on monday to get it tested for allergies... i dont be going in to see them. Def dont have PND, just stressed as we have had a hard few weeks with him after a big improvemnet once he started the losec... He seems to be regressing...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Ah the poor baby!
    I used colief drops for my little one when she had colic, as for the reflux i got a script for Carobel , its a thickening agent to keep down the formula hence prevents reflux.
    Hope things improve soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

chirogirl wrote: »
    Ah the poor baby!
    I used colief drops for my little one when she had colic, as for the reflux i got a script for Carobel , its a thickening agent to keep down the formula hence prevents reflux.
    Hope things improve soon.

Oh god carobel .. i remember trying to make that once :D it looked like glue :eek: everytime my lad had it though he puked it back...same with solids.. i was tod to start him early because of the reflux, but his little tummy rebelled..he was over 6 months before he started solids sucessfully.. eats like a horse now..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

How did anyone get through this phase cos I just cant imagine life being normal again and am beginning to find it all very upsetting..

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Unfortunately having children is very tough and nothing can prepare you properly for it. You will get through difficult times, because you no other option. If it seems like its too much, definitely see your GP.

I'm slightly worried when you refer to 'Life being normal again', because it will never be the same as it was before the baby arrived. It will be different and it will be harder, but there is great rewards and joy to be had from children as they develope and go thru different stages, and give you unconditional love.

I hope I don't come across as being insensitive but I have been thru alot with my children and the best advice I got (although it seemed very harsh to me at the time!) was " You wanted a child, now you have to rear it, no one said it would be easy"

best of luck, I hope it gets easier.

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Unfortunately having children is very tough and nothing can prepare you properly for it. You will get through difficult times, because you no other option. If it seems like its too much, definitely see your GP.

I'm slightly worried when you refer to 'Life being normal again', because it will never be the same as it was before the baby arrived. It will be different and it will be harder, but there is great rewards and joy to be had from children as they develope and go thru different stages, and give you unconditional love.

I hope I don't come across as being insensitive but I have been thru alot with my children and the best advice I got (although it seemed very harsh to me at the time!) was " You wanted a child, now you have to rear it, no one said it would be easy"

best of luck, I hope it gets easier.

:) My own quote was always 'you make them, you mind them' :D

I dont want it to be easy, I guess at the time I just wanted it to be less hard.... We just had a very hard few days but things are quieter today so the silver lining can be seen and as its my first mammy's day, I know how lucky I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

:) My own quote was always 'you make them, you mind them' :D

I dont want it to be easy, I guess at the time I just wanted it to be less hard.... We just had a very hard few days but things are quieter today so the silver lining can be seen and as its my first mammy's day, I know how lucky I am.

I would love if it was easy :D There will be tough times but there will be more great times. And yes you are lucky, happy mothers day :D

Advertisement