Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sansa Clip - can I move songs from itunes

• 16-03-2012 3:23pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, need an 'idiots' guide please, is it possible to transfer songs from itunes to my sansa clip?
    If so how do I do it??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ok, I use a Mac and tested this with my phone and it works. I am guessing it should also work on a PC.

Connect the clip and open a Windows explorer window showing the contents of the Clip.

Open iTunes and resize it's window so you can see a portion of the WE window behind. Select the tracks you want, then click drag the selected tracks out of the iTunes window so the cursor is over the other window and let go the mouse button.

Alternatively, you could bypass iTunes and just use Explorer by finding the iTunes music folder, opening it and then select the tracks you want and drag them onto the Clip icon.

I am assuming the clip just mounts as a drive when you connect it and that it doesn't need special software to manage files.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks cnocbui, but neither of those seem to be working. Not sure if its me though. Going to leave it for a bit and come back otherwise it will end up through the window!!

I just tried the first method on a PC and it worked like it does on a Mac and just as I described. I was using my phone as a substitute for a Clip.

When you plug the clip in, does it appear in windows explorer - in the left hand bar - with a drive letter next to it like F: ?

I've just tried it again and its letting me drag music across to the internal memory but when I look at the actual clip when it's disconnected there is nothing on it?

When you drag them across and let go the mouse button, do you get a pop-up window showing the files being copied and a progress bar?

If you do then that would mean the OS is copying the files.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Any chance this is a problem caused by using the MTP over MSC option of file transfer?

Do you seriously expect the OP or anyone else to understand that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do you seriously expect the OP or anyone else to understand that?

If the OP doesn't understand I'll help them understand, i'm not a dick.

Mactard wrote: »
    If the OP doesn't understand I'll help them understand, i'm not a dick.

NopeI definately don't understand - not very familiar with this stuff at all:o

Does the OS actually show a progress bar to indicate it is actually copying the files across?

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Does the OS actually show a progress bar to indicate it is actually copying the files across?

Yep it seems to be copying them across ok, its showing them as mpeg4 audio files, but when I try to access them on the sansa its not showing them, so I'm thinking that they are not in a compatible form??

That might be it. I found this on the Sansa site:
    Sansa Clip Zip, Fuze+ and Connect players support AAC/M4A, DRM-free file formats from iTunes, proceed to STEP 1.

All other Sansa players (e.g. Fuze, Clip, Clip+, e200 series, c200 series) require converting AAC/M4A to MP3 format, refer to the following articles:
    - Converting AAC/ M4A files to MP3 using iTunes 8, 9 and 10
    So it looks like you will need to convert the MP4 files to MP3s and then copy those across. If the files were bought from the iTunes store they might have Digital Rights Management protection which would prevent iTunes from converting them. If they were ripped from CD there should be no problem.

The Sansa site has some instructions for copying files to the Clip and for using itunes to convert files to MP3:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1141/~/transferring-music-files-to-the-sansa-player-using-itunes-on-a-mac-computer

If you have original CD's, you would get slightly better quality files if you use iTunes to rip them as MP3s, which it can do no problem.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    NopeI definately don't understand - not very familiar with this stuff at all:o

There is a setting in the clip's setting menu for how files are transferred. One setting is called MTP (i think this is the preselected one) and the other setting is called MSC.

To find this setting from the Main Menu, select Settings > System Settings > USB Mode, if there's no "system setting" option then "usb Mode" should be in the main "settings" menu. You want to select MSC as your USB mode and then try what cnocbui was saying earlier.

I have no idea if that'd make any difference, as it was just a thought that popped into my head :cool:

Advertisement