Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the babys head become un-engaged?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

(Sorry if this has been posted before, I've searched the forum from my phone but couldn't find any results)

Basically, the last time I was at my doctor (32-33 weeks), I was told the head is well engaged. The head has been down most of the time since 20 weeks anyway.
    I asked if the babys head can come back out of this position and my GP told me no, that once the head is engaged, that's it.
    Now I had a fair idea it was engaged myself, due to the sexy waddle I was sporting, and various aches and pains down below, and sometimes i would hear a clicking noise coming from the pubis if I overexerted myself, and the fact that I could kind of feel the head.
    However, the other night, there was a serious amount of movement, I was getting kicked hard every single second for 15 minutes straight, as well as lots of other movement, the bump kept changing shape.
    Now, Im moving a lot more freely again, not as much aches and pains, and Im feeling kicks basically right under my bust, which is FAR higher than I ever felt before. All this would point to babs having moved back up, right? Anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Shuwaaah wrote: »
    (Sorry if this has been posted before, I've searched the forum from my phone but couldn't find any results)

Basically, the last time I was at my doctor (32-33 weeks), I was told the head is well engaged. The head has been down most of the time since 20 weeks anyway.
    I asked if the babys head can come back out of this position and my GP told me no, that once the head is engaged, that's it.
    Now I had a fair idea it was engaged myself, due to the sexy waddle I was sporting, and various aches and pains down below, and sometimes i would hear a clicking noise coming from the pubis if I overexerted myself, and the fact that I could kind of feel the head.
    However, the other night, there was a serious amount of movement, I was getting kicked hard every single second for 15 minutes straight, as well as lots of other movement, the bump kept changing shape.
    Now, Im moving a lot more freely again, not as much aches and pains, and Im feeling kicks basically right under my bust, which is FAR higher than I ever felt before. All this would point to babs having moved back up, right? Anyone had a similar experience?

The baby can unengage, but ya might be best get it checked at next appt as that sounds like what happened to me and it was my baby turning into the breech position....! How many weeks are ya now?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

dublinlady wrote: »
    Shuwaaah wrote: »

The baby can unengage, but ya might be best get it checked at next appt as that sounds like what happened to me and it was my baby turning into the breech position....! How many weeks are ya now?

34+4, I've my next appointment on Wednesday so will definitely bring it up. I'll be so annoyed if he's breech, he's had the head down nearly the whole way through. Maybe he's going to be awkward like his mum :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My little angel.. Turned at 37 weeks into frank breech position and had to be evicted....!! She had been head down from 20 weeks. However they can turn back quite easily up until about 37 weeks - after that it's more unlikely. But have a look at spinning babies.com if he is breech as there's tips on how to try turn them!
    However he really might just have become unengaged again which is totally ok and normal and may not engage properly until labour so don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Yep I keep getting this, baby drops really low so I can fit the span of my hand between my bust and top of bump.
    Next day bump is nearly under my nose & I can barely fit my finger between my bust & bump!
    I'm 35 weeks, just wish baby would stay down at this stage, it's so much easier to breathe when he/she is engaged & not squashing my lungs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

+1 for spinningbabies.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

Thanks for all the advice ladies! Over the last day all my aches and pains and my waddle have returned, I think the head is back down again. Will just have to keep an eye on it in case babs yo-yos up and down over the next few weeks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

My little mans head unengaged just before i was due to be induced, having been engaged for at least three weeks before i was due. Little Fecker!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 genies_wishes

yup - my daughter had to be evicted too when she turned sideways on me at 39 weeks!

Advertisement