Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to publish first website

Options
  • 16-03-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm about to publish my first website. I have the domain name chosen and it's available. I think i'm going to go with Blacknight for purchasing the name and i'm going to get the Minimus hosting from them too.

A lot of my questions are very straightforward I'm sure. I see that there's Linux and Windows hosting. Does this make a difference to me? I've never used Linux before. Once i have the hosting and name bought, is it fairly straightforward to upload my pages and set up emails and stuff?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

You will need Windows if you intend using .NET or ASP

Otherwise Linux will do, thats probably the most popular. If they are the same price then I can't see any harm in taking windows.

But someone else might know more.

Blacknight have a forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=375

I use them myself so I can highly recommend them from personal experience too. The good thing is they're Irish based and owned too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dublin daz wrote: »
    You will need Windows if you intend using .NET or ASP

Otherwise Linux will do, thats probably the most popular. If they are the same price then I can't see any harm in taking windows.

But someone else might know more.

Blacknight have a forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=375

I use them myself so I can highly recommend them from personal experience too. The good thing is they're Irish based and owned too.

I hosted on a BN windows package an had problems with the url endings. switched to linux and the problem was gone.
    how are you developing your site?
    html or a cms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

I hosted on a BN windows package an had problems with the url endings. switched to linux and the problem was gone.
    how are you developing your site?
    html or a cms ?

I'm developing my site using only HTML. But given that i can host 30 sites, some of them down the road might be developed in wordpress or joomla.

I have a few questions, also, regarding .ie registration. The website i'm doing is for a future small business that is not yet registered as a business. Am i able to register a .ie domain name without this? What options can i choose that are the least hassle when registering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gnolan wrote: »
    I'm developing my site using only HTML. But given that i can host 30 sites, some of them down the road might be developed in wordpress or joomla.

I have a few questions, also, regarding .ie registration. The website i'm doing is for a future small business that is not yet registered as a business. Am i able to register a .ie domain name without this? What options can i choose that are the least hassle when registering?

That 30 sites is dependent on the size of your site. each package has a maximum. Minimus gives you 10gb of disk space.
    Im not sure about the ie. The easiest to register are the .com or anything thats not ie. They are also cheaper than ie.

That 30 sites is dependent on the size of your site. each package has a maximum. Minimus gives you 10gb of disk space.
    Im not sure about the ie. The easiest to register are the .com or anything thats not ie. They are also cheaper than ie.

Any sites i'll be doing will be really small, so 10Gb is fine.

I kind of want .ie, it just makes more sense for the identity of the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I use Blacknight too, Linux, with a few sites on the minimus package. I would only go for Windows if some application required it.

Linux hosting is case-sensitive, just be aware of that when naming files etc.

If you decide to install Wordpress, do it manually, I find the files (for more than one site) easier to manage than with an auto-install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alan_john

The rules for registering a .ie can be found here

http://www.domainregistry.ie/index.php/mnudomregs/mnuregpolicy

In short - you have to be entitled to the .ie address (company name / personal name), and they require proof of your entitlement, blacknight should be able to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

alan_john wrote: »
    The rules for registering a .ie can be found here

http://www.domainregistry.ie/index.php/mnudomregs/mnuregpolicy

In short - you have to be entitled to the .ie address (company name / personal name), and they require proof of your entitlement, blacknight should be able to help with this.

You can get generic .ie domains without having any entitlement, you just include a letter outlining your intentions for the domain. I got about 8 .ie this way. I'm registered as a sole trader though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alan_john

cormee wrote: »
    You can get generic .ie domains without having any entitlement, you just include a letter outlining your intentions for the domain. I got about 8 .ie this way. I'm registered as a sole trader though.

Good to know! Thanks.

Did you have to provide a company number when applying for the .ie domain name? Or did a letter suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Did you have to provide a company number when applying for the .ie domain name? Or did a letter suffice?

Yes, I provided the company number.

Yes, I provided the company number.

See, i think that might be where i could run into a problem. The company i'm doing it for is not registered yet and has no company number.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

See, i think that might be where i could run into a problem. The company i'm doing it for is not registered yet and has no company number.

Just register a business name using an RBN1... it will cost you only 20 quid on http://www.core.ie. usually takes about a week or two to get the cert and number

there is no need to go registering an full company... it's more costly and would required you to file annual returns etc... total overkill just for the purposes of getting a .ie domain

Advertisement