Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: How much for equipment/callout on a new install

• 16-03-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Digiweb have throttled my connection on the Metro service and I don't forsee my usage decreasing anytime soon, I am using over 70Gb at present and by the end of a usual month it will easily hit 100Gb. UPC looks like the best option to me but we haven't had any equipment installed here since the Cablelink days, i.e. there is no wall outlet and assume there's nothing outside other than the old mmds analogue box that goes between houses.

I tried to contact UPC support but they have me going around in circles right now to try and get an answer. I am trying to figure out, what they have to install, what it will cost and if I can still order it online and avail of the self-install. I also asked if I could port my number after installing the service? Any help/advice apppreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Standard installation with UPC is €40. If you have to have it all cabled in then a self install is probably not even an option, as you won't be allowed to cable into their network. You'd also be better off letting them do it anyway, as they'll be able to test the cabling work and make sure it's up to scratch.

Place your order, see what happens.

Porting of an existing number is possible with UPC too, as long as the phone service is actually available to you. It's not always made available, even when broadband is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I have Blueface and Rynga running on a VOIP Router and I'd port the Blueface Geo number if UPC phone works out. Not sure what you mean by the service not being made available even when broadband is.

I just got an email back saying it is actually €50.82 to install and it says to do the self-install so I guess I'll just order it and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Freeman wrote: »
    I have Blueface and Rynga running on a VOIP Router and I'd port the Blueface Geo number if UPC phone works out. Not sure what you mean by the service not being made available even when broadband is.

I just got an email back saying it is actually €50.82 to install and it says to do the self-install so I guess I'll just order it and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

The phone service is sometimes not available even if broadband is. Depends on the state of the cabling in your area and if it has been upgraded or not.

bealtine wrote: »
    The phone service is sometimes not available even if broadband is. Depends on the state of the cabling in your area and if it has been upgraded or not.

Ok, fair enough, I'll guess just have to wait and see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭pdw

at http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

€50 from D.I.D Electrical or The Carphone Warehouse, my install invloved replacing old damaged cable and as it was a signup from boards no charge at all.

• Advertisement

€50 from D.I.D Electrical or The Carphone Warehouse, my install invloved replacing old damaged cable and as it was a signup from boards no charge at all.

I was going to use fatcheese as they are giving €70 cashback. I don't know the details of your install but in my experience ISPs are notorious for being inconsistent, so even if I signed up using the boards offer there's no way to know if I would get the same deal as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

pdw wrote: »

+1 on this method of getting install. No install charge and a 50 Euro Voucher. No problems recommending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Does anyone know anything about the process of getting UPC into an apartment block in the city center [D8] that doesnt currently have cabling?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

paddyk wrote: »
    +1 on this method of getting install. No install charge and a 50 Euro Voucher. No problems recommending it.

yes it works I used it as well

Advertisement