Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Messaging Timestamp Problem

Options
  • 16-03-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I recently acquired a Blackberry Curve 9360. This phone timestamps all messages (emails, sms, mms etc.) with the time the handset received the message rather than the time that the message was sent by the sender.

Does anyone know how to change the settings for this?

I have done some research but have only found other users with the same problem and no solution. Most phones have a "View message details" option that allows you to view the message header which includes the time the message was sent by the sender. With blackberry, the message folder shows only the time that the email was received by your handset. You CAN access the "time SENT" data for emails if you OPEN the email and read the header but not for sms or mms.

The data is there on the phone because if you forward an sms or mms message as an email, the correct data appears in the new header of the email. This is a very convoluted way of accessing the data but it might help other people with the same problem though to know that you CAN access it.

In my experience, no other phone that i have ever had has done this and it seems to be to be a really flawed system. Why would you WANT to know when your handset received the message? If you switch your phone off for a plane journey, and switch it on again, all your messages will carry the same timestamp to say when they were received, leaving you unable to sort the message according to when they were sent?

Maybe I'm missing some simple setting but this problem has really turned me off what is otherwise a pretty decent phone.

Can anyone please help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you click in the email beneath the To section you'll see the time and date it was sent

Time it arrives:
    196667.jpg

Time email was sent:
    196666.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 felice

Blackberry: Sort messages by time actually sent rather than time received by handset

Hi, I think i might have been a bit unclear as to what the problem is. I guess I would like to be able to sort the messages in their parent folder (the first picture shown) by "time sent" (like every other phone on the market) rather than time received to handset (as is the case with blackberry), so that you don't have to open all of your mail and chronologically sort it by "time sent" in your head. The phone should be capable of doing this?? :(

Secondly, while you can access the "time sent" for email if you click into the email and read the header (the second picture), as far as I can see you can't do the same for sms/mms text messages unfortunately.

Know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal but it can be very frustrating if you knock your phone off for any length of time and all of your messages show that they arrived at the same time when you switch it back on. It seems to make no sense that it would organise messages in that way.

Thanks for trying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

While it displays time received to handset on the main screen as far as I can tell it sorts as time sent when all the emails have been received at the same time, as does SMS/mms

Another option is to set the system to silent rather than turning off the device

Advertisement