Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar vs Athlone

Options
  • 16-03-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

As I mentioned in another thread I intend to move to Athlone but was wondering what you think are the advantages vs disadvantages of choosing Mullingar instead.

From what I see rents seem cheeper in Mullingar, I guess because the town is smaller but there also seem to be fewer buses to Dublin (and dublin airport).

All I really need is a reliable internet connection and the usual shops etc.

Can you see other (dis)advantages picking one town over the other?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Athlone is better. Athlone is the centre of the universe (compared to that other town that is not worth naming) No disadvantages what so ever , none at all. (well, the Nightlife is suppose to be better in Mullingar)

Athlone is closer to other decent towns and cities and gateway to the West.

Athlone is closer to where I live. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

No contest - Athlone wins hands down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Athlone is a nice town.

Mullingar is a kip.

Choose wisely OP

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Athlone is dirty and run down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Mullingar is run by knackers

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tokenv

I appreciate the replies but I don't see much objectivity in there ;)

I'm not irish but I assume there's some sort of historic "rivalry" between the 2 towns?

tokenv wrote: »
    I appreciate the replies but I don't see much objectivity in there ;)

I'm not irish but I assume there's some sort of historic "rivalry" between the 2 towns?
    To be Honest, you're unlikely to get objective comments from locals, I recently moved here from the UK so I understand what you mean.

There isn't really a lot to choose between the two town, Mullingar is closer to Dublin and has a greyhound stadium, apart from that they're really quite similar from what I can see, I just know Athlone better than Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

@ tokenV - they are both fine towns, don't pay any attention to the usual whinge brigade on here. Athlone is larger, with better shopping and a College so it generally feels busier. Its also on the river and has a castle so kinda pretty. Mullingar has some very good bars, good sports facilities and good community spirit, not bad for shops and is handy for Dublin airport etc... Its also on some lakes so is close to some pretty areas. It all depends what you are looking for? Obviously both towns will have areas you should avoid in terms of places to live, but generally all is good in both places.

Thanks for the useful feedback ;)

As I mentioned all I really need is a reliable Internet connection and the usual shops, by which I mean supermakets like tesco, primark/penneys and maybe argos.

I don't care at all about colleges/schools/churches or bars even. Admittedly the proximity to Dublin Airport is useful but I don't think there's much of a difference on a bus from one place to the other as Mullingar is closer but Athlone gets more services daily. Let me know if I got it wrong.

I know in Athlone the College area is considered bad around and especially south and east of Willow park. Are there similar avoid areas in Mullingar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I know in Athlone the College area is considered bad around and especially south and east of Willow park. Are there similar avoid areas in Mullingar?

Nothing wrong with the area around the college, except for the odd rowdy student you might encounter.

I'd say Mullingar is more of a commuter town towards Dublin, Athlone doesn't have that commuter town feel to it. I'm a big fan of Athlone I have to say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Get yourself a caravan and move between both.

Well in my other thread I got warnings from everyone telling me not to live in areas around AIT and willow park, especially on the south-east.

A caravan is not feasible as I can't afford horses for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Well in my other thread I got warnings from everyone telling me not to live in areas around AIT and willow park, especially on the south-east.

A caravan is not feasible as I can't afford horses for it.

There's a large travelling community around Mullingar. You might some on the cheap.

Do you drive? Mullingar has some facilities that are not reasonably walkable from the town centre such as the cinema and the bowling place.
    I am not overly knowledgeable on Athlone, but in terms of variety of facilities, Mullingar has a hospital. And as far as I know, Athlone does not.

I don't drive but don't particularly care about those facilities, except maybe the cinema but I can live without it (or use bus/lifts).

I think I remember one of the agents mentioning there is a hospital in Athlone, I'm not sure though.

I think I might just go for Athlone and from there see if I find a nice place in Mullingar. Price differences don't seem that large anyway, I think at most you save 50 euro or so a month for a private residence in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Athlone is better. Athlone is the centre of the universe (compared to that other town that is not worth naming) No disadvantages what so ever , none at all.

This is a genuine and sincere comment , with which I can totally agree.
    Well said Walrus.

There is no rivalry between Athlone and Mull....none at all.

You can only have rivalry between equals or almost equals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carmella2012

I have worked in both towns and can safely say Athlone is the better option.
    cleaner, safer, better shops, better public transport, better amenities, better roads, more parking, nicer people.

Advertisement