Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2-night fish dishes

Options
  • 16-03-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to cut down on the amount of red meat I eat, and while I eat a lot of chicken/turkey, I can't eat it every night. I love fish, but what's always put me off cooking it is that it tends to be something you cook (along with the accompaniments) for one night. I also love tomato and curry based dishes, as well as stir fries (anything with rice, noodles or pasta) and this is what I usually cook my chicken in.

I'd love to try a nice fish stir fry, curry, or tomato-based dinner that I could cook and eat for the next two nights with rice or pasta. I tried something like this once with salmon and it was a ugly and costly failed experiment so does anyone have any suggestions? Would it just be the case of swapping chicken with fish in a stir fry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The major difference in cooking fish and chicken is that fish cooks very, very quickly and fish tastes awful and falls apart when overcooked. As a result, it's difficult to reheat the next night without overcooking, But, its not impossible.

I would not consider fish to be good for a stir fry. It would fall apart too easily.

There are some nice fish curry recipes, and the key to them is that the fish goes in for 3 minutes at the end. You could reheat the next day, once you reheat slowly and gently or add fresh raw fish the second night.

Here is a recipe for Thai fish curry.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thaigreencurriednorw_3479

Here is a lovely recipe for salmon with pasta from the cooking club.
    It is so quick to cook that there is little advantage in cooking for two nights
    when it is so much nicer when fresh.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055933034

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

using fish in curries or stir fry, its best to pan fry it first. fry it on a high heat so the skin will crisp up in a short time about 2 mins each side for a flat fish or 3 for a fat fish :). when the skin is crisp it peals off easy, cut into bite sizes and add to your main dish a minute before it finishes.

if u plan to eat more fish make sure you get it fresh as much as possible because frozen fish is usually far inferior in flavor and can put you off in time.
    tilapia and sea bass are great for curries and stir frys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I often make a paella with risotto rice and a mixture of flaky fish and shrimp. The second day it gets quite sticky and you can shape it into fish cakes or rice balls, dip in egg then polenta or breadcrumbs, fry and serve with a salad and simple salsa

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It depends on the fish you use as well.
    Monkfish and Ling hold up well in curries, soft fish like hake, cod, whiting and haddock should be eaten on the day.
    I like to make masala sardines or mackerel, these are fried with the spices rubbed into them and are fantastic.
    Have a look in a good fishmongers for Plichards/sardines or Mackerel/scad.
    These oily fish work really well with this technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we regularly do a dish that is a cross between a cauliflower and broccoli bake and a fish pie.

basically cook off your cauli & broc until tender (i normally steam them, giving the cauli an extra 5 minutes cooking time to make sure it's tender), then fry off a liltte onion & garlic (also, sometimes mushroom & bacon or chorizo, dep. on the mood), followed by gently poached (in milk, with some peppercorns, and bay) pink, white & smoked fish (usually cod or coley, salmon & smoked haddock, or whatever we can get our hands on) and maybe some king prawns sliced in half down the spine if i can get them fresh.

next, you need to make a roux with some butter & flour, thickened with your poaching milk (keep it VERY thick, like trifle custard) and a bit of cheese if you're feeling really naughty. ;)

so cauli & broc. on the bottom, followed by onion, garlic and bacon etc., then flake the fish over and cover with the roux, then either buttery mash for the top, or crushed baby spuds and a sprinkling of a nice cheddar, before whacking it under the grill until browned.

we find that it does us 2 nights and reheats fine in the oven the next night if left on low, covered with foil.

you'll have to work on the timings to make sure it all goes into the roasting tray hot, although timing isn't exactly one of my strong points, i do have the advantage of my wife cleaning up the destruction behind me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You could do a fish pie. I love a fish pie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/theultimatefishpie_87821

Or you could do a curry with an oily fish, like mackerel. I reckon that would give you a second days eating. I made one before, but can't seem to find the recipe.

Edit: This is the recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fishcurrymeencurry_90035

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

If you like shell fish, King Prawns are lovely in a curry, stirfry or paella. Then the next day you could use the remaining King Prawns in a tasty salad. I absolutely love them with fresh pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I never thought of a fish pie but it sounds great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Definitely second the fish pie. I always follow a recipe originally posted in the Cooking Club forum some time ago (well it's more of a casserole). I normally have it with boiled rice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65471065

I make it at least once every two weeks. Holds fantastically and tastes just as good the second day.

Advertisement