Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a watch please

• 16-03-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭

I'm looking to track my runs with a watch. I'd like one that can give distance travelled, pace etc.
    I'd also like to be able to download the data and maybe upload to something like mapmyrun.
    Something that could be used for Interval training would be great. Maybe a beep at certain time or distance.
    Heart rate monitor, sure why not. Although not sure if I really need this.

I was looking at Garmin FR60 but don't think it has GPS.

Budget was €70-80 but I suppose if it was really worth it I'd go all out for €150.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Garmin 305 (or 205 if you don't care about heart rate monitor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you have any contacts in the US, that you could ship this to, this is a pretty good deal: Garmin Forerunner 405.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'll have to throw in the timex run trainer as an option. Can do all you require including intervals.
    Too pricey to purchase over here but can be got for €150 if you've got a us contact. I got mine from eBay for 186 delivered and wasn't stung by customs, but you are taking a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Garmin 405 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0011UIXNE/ref=sr_1_20_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332006760&sr=1-20&condition=used It is used but so what. 86 Euro and YES that is shipped to Ireland. You are risking customs though. You can always buy a separate HR strap afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Not exactly the info you are after, but I think I'd suggest you avoid the Garmin Forerunner 110. I've had mine about a year and it's starting to give me a lot of hassle and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

It's the only Garmin I've ever bought so I can't say what the other models are like but I probably wouldn't buy the 110 again.

G-Money wrote: »
    Not exactly the info you are after, but I think I'd suggest you avoid the Garmin Forerunner 110. I've had mine about a year and it's starting to give me a lot of hassle and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

It's the only Garmin I've ever bought so I can't say what the other models are like but I probably wouldn't buy the 110 again.
    One watch failing is not a very large sample. Better to look at the reviews on somewhere like amazon.com, to get a more representative sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 donmc

Would the 405 be suitable for cycling also? want to buy a watch suitable for triathlon, mainly the bike and running..

Any feedback would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Am looking for a watch for a teen runner, for his birthday in a month.

He asked, and considering I'm outta ideas at this stage anyway, would work out well. Just started running Oct, has joined a club, and does 2-3 5k distances (he thinks) a week, one of those with the club.

If anyone has anything 2nd hand would be interested too.

Am looking for a watch for a teen runner, for his birthday in a month.

He asked, and considering I'm outta ideas at this stage anyway, would work out well. Just started running Oct, has joined a club, and does 2-3 5k distances (he thinks) a week, one of those with the club.

If anyone has anything 2nd hand would be interested too.

if is into running with a club then a watch that can do workouts (create workouts e.g. run 800m at x speed, 400m at x speed etc) would be good. 110 afaik doesn't have this.
    garmin 305 cheapest option for this. try adverts and/or ebay for 2nd hand.
    £135 currently on amazon with heart-rate monitor.

• Advertisement

donmc wrote: »
    Would the 405 be suitable for cycling also? want to buy a watch suitable for triathlon, mainly the bike and running..

Any feedback would be great.

yes, it's multisport compatible. but battery life better on 305 and 310xt.

305 8hrs. 405 6hrs. 310xt 15hrs.

glasso wrote: »
    if is into running with a club then a watch that can do workouts (create workouts e.g. run 800m at x speed, 400m at x speed etc) would be good. 110 afaik doesn't have this.
    garmin 305 cheapest option for this. try adverts and/or ebay for 2nd hand.
    £135 currently on amazon with heart-rate monitor.

Thanks for that, and "Yes, he's very into it". Here's a review for others of the 305 and 405, half of which......... OK........ more than half of which is double-dutch to moi. I just happen to have a relative coming from NYC in 10 days. Do you/anyone think they could pick it up for me there, or should I get 2nd hand on-line?

http://online-running-gear.com/blog/running-gear-3/garmin-review/

http://online-running-gear.com/blog/running-gear-3/garmin-forerunner-405-review/

Thanks for that, and "Yes, he's very into it". Here's a review for others of the 305 and 405, half of which......... OK........ more than half of which is double-dutch to moi. I just happen to have a relative coming from NYC in 10 days. Do you/anyone think they could pick it up for me there, or should I get 2nd hand on-line?

http://online-running-gear.com/blog/running-gear-3/garmin-review/

http://online-running-gear.com/blog/running-gear-3/garmin-forerunner-405-review/

amazon has a very good price on the 405cx (405 but newer version). good price for it. he'd probably like the slightly more watch-like look of the 405. probably about 150 euro with sales taxes put on it.

amazon has a very good price on the 405cx (405 but newer version). good price for it. he'd probably like the slightly more watch-like look of the 405. probably about 150 euro with sales taxes put on it.
    No point in paying the extra $20 for the 405cx. The only differences are a different colour and a different algorithm for calculating calories. Save the $20 and get the 405 shipped from Amazon to your friend's house. Get them to bring it back for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 donmc

yes, it's multisport compatible. but battery life better on 305 and 310xt.

305 8hrs. 405 6hrs. 310xt 15hrs.

Great stuff, thanks for that.

No point in paying the extra $20 for the 405cx. The only differences are a different colour and a different algorithm for calculating calories. Save the $20 and get the 405 shipped from Amazon to your friend's house. Get them to bring it back for you.

I read your advice, decided to go with it, and then decided that he (make that 'I') liked the blue better. I know, I know........ sucker. (Thanks anyway!)

€148 with free shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

guys im sizing up the 405cx but it seems possibly a bit overkill for a noob, are there other brands that have watches that do some of the basics, pace/distance but that also are neat enough(the 405cx looks quite compact, like that :) )

Rossin wrote: »
    guys im sizing up the 405cx but it seems possibly a bit overkill for a noob, are there other brands that have watches that do some of the basics, pace/distance but that also are neat enough(the 405cx looks quite compact, like that :) )
    not for cheaper. most people use the. basic featues anyways. its easy enough to get used to. menus arelike using an ipod but basic features are easy to use. they seem overkill but i bought a hrm stopwatch for 60 first., then nike plus then a garmin over 6 months. thefirst two were a waste now so up to yourself but u may need one in the future. a 405 will do all u need going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

good convincing :)

Advertisement