Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debt collectors

• 16-03-2012 5:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

So I owe about 300 euro to Bank of Ireland, as I have been living abroad for ages and although I had a debt of about 5k on a credit card I never completely paid it off, it was 150 or something but they put interest on it etc. Anyway it was registered to one of my friends houses, and they keep getting letters about sheriffs and district courts and all kinds of mullarkey. I don't really care about my credit rating or anything like that, but why are they going through all this hassle for a few hundred euros? I think BOI passed on the debt to some agency, and they are saying they will reposess my stuff etc if I dont pay. But I haven't lived at that address in 7 years and they have no way of knowing where I am. Has anyone had this happen before? What can they do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just f*cking pay the money!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

MrStuffins wrote: »

No, BOI are assholes and I have even less respect for them now that they're going through all this trouble. Surely they have better things to be doing? I must have paid them a fortune in interest and credit card bills over the years I was with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Be careful its not the Viper they have after you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    So I owe about 300 euro to Bank of Ireland, as I have been living abroad for ages and although I had a debt of about 5k on a credit card I never completely paid it off, it was 150 or something but they put interest on it etc. Anyway it was registered to one of my friends houses, and they keep getting letters about sheriffs and district courts and all kinds of mullarkey. I don't really care about my credit rating or anything like that, but why are they going through all this hassle for a few hundred euros? I think BOI passed on the debt to some agency, and they are saying they will reposess my stuff etc if I dont pay. But I haven't lived at that address in 7 years and they have no way of knowing where I am. Has anyone had this happen before? What can they do?

I'd be careful there man, you've left it get to a stage where its gone to court, they may make a judgement in your absence and a warrant will eventually be issued for your arrest.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/credit-card-debt-mum-wont-be-jailed-1748305.html

Its not a case anymore of whether you owe the money to BOI or not, its a case of whether your going to jail or not the next time your back in Ireland.

You ran up debt on your credit Card, it's your own fault, it's not as if they are stealing from you. You spent their money on goods and services and now you don't want to pay them back.

As for interest etc, that's what you agreed to. You know what you were doing and now making excuses not to pay them back.

Just pay what yo owe!

• Advertisement

I'd be careful there man, you've left it get to a stage where its gone to court, they may make a judgement in your absence and a warrant will eventually be issued for your arrest.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/credit-card-debt-mum-wont-be-jailed-1748305.html

Its not a case anymore of whether you owe the money to BOI or not, its a case of whether your going to jail or not the next time your back in Ireland.

but for all they know i never received any warnings or letters from them. But yeah, looks like I can never go home lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

He paid them already in taxes... I guess they're the bastards who owe him money at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Fake your death!!!!

Old Tom wrote: »
    He paid them already in taxes... I guess they're the bastards who owe him money at this stage.

He lives abroad. I doubt he's been paying tax here for the last while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No, BOI are assholes and I have even less respect for them now that they're going through all this trouble. Surely they have better things to be doing? I must have paid them a fortune in interest and credit card bills over the years I was with them anyway.

So you borrowed their money and didnt pay it back and the Bank Of Ireland are the assholes for wanting it back?

lol. Im glad you emigrated.

You do realise who we pay taxes to dont you?
    Maybe you should emigrate too.

• Advertisement

You ran up debt on your credit Card, it's your own fault, it's not as if they are stealing from you. You spent their money on goods and services and now you don't want to pay them back.

As for interest etc, that's what you agreed to. You know what you were doing and now making excuses not to pay them back.

Just pay what yo owe!

I would pay them back if I was living there but the guys who live at that place are total stoners and wont even forward the letters to me and I can't get any info out of them.
    BOI had sent a letter to my other address saying that as there was no activity in my current/savings account for so long that they were no longer doing business with me and closing my accounts. When I logged into the internet banking last time the credit card statement was unavailable and the amount just said ####. They haven't got word through to me about anything, so am I still a criminal here if, whenever/if I go home, I agreed to pay?

He lives abroad. I doubt he's been paying tax here for the last while now.
    Ok so.
    Then I don't have any debts and I've been paying loads of taxes that still have been used to bailout the banks, giving me feck all in exchange. They can have the money I've been forced to pay to cover his debts. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Hogzy wrote: »
    So you borrowed money and didnt pay it back and the Bank Of Ireland are the assholes for wanting it back?

lol. Im glad you emigrated.

Thanks. How come they don't have to pay their debts and get bailed out? You're one of the few if you're on the bankers side these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pacta sunt servanda.

Thanks. How come they don't have to pay their debts and get bailed out? You're one of the few if you're on the bankers side these days!
    Ha, and how come they have right to get the interest on the money people get off them, but is doesn't work the other way around? It's obvious that the tax money that have been used to bailout the bankers are never going to be returned.

Sorry, it's too serious for AH as some people were bitching recently.

AH response: blast them with piss...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Fair Play to ya OP, F**K the bank, don't pay em back.

I wonder if Seanie gets these letters as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Sindri wrote: »
    Fake your death!!!!
    Sure a decent canoe costs more than he owes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Owen_S wrote: »
    Sure a decent canoe costs more than he owes anyway.

That's where you have it all wrong. A decent canoe. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

So I owe about 300 euro to Bank of Ireland, as I have been living abroad for ages and although I had a debt of about 5k on a credit card I never completely paid it off, it was 150 or something but they put interest on it etc.

Have you cancelled this card.
    They'll keep adding penalties & interest every month if you don't cancel the card.
    They may have cancelled it already themselves but it's worth checking.
    Anyway it was registered to one of my friends houses, and they keep getting letters about sheriffs and district courts and all kinds of mullarkey. I don't really care about my credit rating or anything like that, but why are they going through all this hassle for a few hundred euros? I think BOI passed on the debt to some agency, and they are saying they will reposess my stuff etc if I dont pay. But I haven't lived at that address in 7 years and they have no way of knowing where I am. Has anyone had this happen before? What can they do?

Ok, if it has been passed on to a Debt Collectors (Cabot Financial, Interim Justia) they have no power to repossess anything.
    They use this threat as a scare tactic to shake out the low hanging fruit.
    As you're not living at that address their is a double reason not to worry on that point, only a court appointed sherrif has the power to remove goods.
    Count yourself lucky they don't have an existing number for you or you'd be getting hounded every day.
    They have bought the debt from the existing CC company, probably for a very small amount with a hope of recouping more than they paid for it.
    The letters will go in a cycle & you'll receive threats of court & draft summonses that look authentic with your name & a court date TBC.
    These "solicitors" work full-time for the Debt Collectors changing names & figures on letter templates.
    After time you'll receive an offer from them asking for 50% or less of the amount owed to settle the matter.
    Normally they give up after 3-6 months of being ignored but occasionally you'll get another fishing letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ha, and how come they have right to get the interest on the money people get off them, but is doesn't work the other way around? It's obvious that the tax money that have been used to bailout the bankers are never going to be returned.

It does work the other way around. If you deposit money in the bank you earn interest on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Keep all 1c coins from now on.
    When you have 30,000, hand them in, in Bank of Ireland plastic money bags with 'C*NTS' written on each bag.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    They'll keep adding penalties & interest every month if you don't cancel the card.

Ok, if it has been passed on to a Debt Collectors (Cabot Financial, Interim Justia) they have no power to repossess anything.
    As you're not living at that address their is a double reason not to worry on that point, only a court appointed sherrif has the power to remove goods.
    Count yourself lucky they don't have an existing number for you or you'd be getting hounded every day.
    They have bought the debt from the existing CC company, probably for a very small amount with a hope of recouping more than they paid for it.
    The letters will go in a cycle & you'll receive threats of court & draft summonses that look authentic with your name & a court date TBC.
    These "solicitors" work full-time for the Debt Collectors changing names & figures on letter templates.
    After time you'll receive an offer from them asking for 50% or less of the amount owed to settle the matter.
    Normally they give up after 3-6 months of being ignored but occasionally you'll get another fishing letter.

You're a legend. This is music to my ears as I'm about to go out and enjoy a post work beer on a Friday. Have you been through this yourself? I'd thank you a hundred times if I could, have a nice weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If I were your friend I'd be sending a solicitors letter. Why are they harrassing them? Where you living at that address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Keep all 1c coins from now on.
    When you have 30,000, hand them in, in Bank of Ireland plastic money bags with 'C*NTS' written on each bag.

Too much hassle. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Block you number
    Call Debt collector
    Haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Because people like you don't f***ing pay!! And they do pay their debts, that's the entire point of the bailout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Block you number
    Call Debt collector
    Haggle

Bound to work a treat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The viper being a debt collector is a laugh. So what. He can't put a finger on you. What is going to do as a high profile ex criminal probably out of condition of good behavior? Batter somebody in the course of a traceable position of employment?

Debt collectors will just hassle you. Call round all the time etc. It's silly to have your credit rating affected and bring hassle on that address over a few hundred quid.

The debt collector usually assumes your debt for a price I think.

If my 'friend' had debt collectors hassling my address over a couple of hundred quid he was too cheap to pay, I would batter them myself.

Its a bit late for that since:
    Anyway it was registered to one of my friends houses, and they keep getting letters about sheriffs and district courts and all kinds of mullarkey.

Have the Gardai tried to deliver a summons op ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

token101 wrote: »
    Because people like you don't f***ing pay!! And they do pay their debts, that's the entire point of the bailout.

Are WE not paying THEIR debts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

correct mostly:D

Hogzy wrote: »
    It does work the other way around. If you deposit money in the bank you earn interest on it.
    Yes, it does ONLY in case of the money I voluntarily lodge in a bank of my preference.

In this mater I was forced to bail the banks, where is my interest on this? I won't even see this money back at any stage. My money was forcibly take off me and given to the bankers.

If I had done that to any bank, I'd rot in prison for years.

So no, it does not work the other way around.

Yes, it does ONLY in case of the money I voluntarily lodge in a bank of my preference.

In this mater I was forced to bail the banks, where is my interest on this? I won't even see this money back at any stage. My money was forcibly take off me and given to the bankers.

If I had done that to any bank, I'd rot in prison for years.

So no, it does not work the other way around.

I'm a taxpayer in Germany .. does that mean that I'm owed something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Are WE not paying THEIR debts ?

The OP is in another country, he's not paying FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Old Tom bailed the banks? Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

but for all they know i never received any warnings or letters from them. But yeah, looks like I can never go home lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, they can't prove that you received anything unless it was signed for. Get your stoner former housemates to write "NO LONGER AT THIS ADDRESS" on all of the letters and put them in a postbox.

I'm a taxpayer in Germany .. does that mean that I'm owed something ?

I thought I was clear that I speak for myself. My money was taken and given to the bankers and hence I'm concerned whether or not I'm gonna see them back. And with what interest?
    token101 wrote: »
    The OP is in another country, he's not paying FA.
    ... and that's why I am offering that the bank takes the money that was taken off me by force, and use this money to cover his debt, as I stated already in post 13
    kincsem wrote: »
    Old Tom bailed the banks? Thanks for that.
    I have indeed, if you pay your taxes in Ireland - you have as well. So have other taxpayers. If you can't see it.. well, get more lubricant. I'm sure it'll come in handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

You're a legend. This is music to my ears as I'm about to go out and enjoy a post work beer on a Friday. Have you been through this yourself? I'd thank you a hundred times if I could, have a nice weekend.

You enjoy those beers, my wife was through it before with a debt that was never owed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74324240&postcount=4

The important thing is these people have no more right to demand money than I would calling up at your front door.
    They hope that bullying tactics & false threats scare the majority into paying.
    It must work due to the fact they're in business, lot of timid people out there.

This is actually an excellent video to open people's eyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

why to people get awfully mixed up about private debt and banks and bailouts.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tell the debt collector to **** off and deal with the bank direct yourself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I would say deal with the bank directly, and avoid the heavies.

However, note that you did run up the debt. Why shouldn't you pay every cent you owe back? I've never run up a credit card bill that I couldn't pay - because I had some sensible restraint and was able to avoid getting drunk on cheap credit. People like the OP amaze me.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    why to people get awfully mixed up about private debt and banks and bailouts.:confused:
    And why people don't get that a debt is a debt and money is money - no matter who owes what? Private, commercial - who cares, the same money, the same debt. The bankers get bailout, what the ordinary people or small local businesses get? A finger up the bum.

And I have no trouble with my mortgage, any other loans or any other financial worries. I say this because I think it's the right thing to do. We are being fcuked up the "3rd eye" and we think this is the way it should be, just because "it's been like that for years".

Well, I don't agree with that and I have a constitutional right not to agree with it.

And why people don't get that a debt is a debt and money is money - no matter who owes what? Private, commercial - who cares, the same money, the same debt. The bankers get bailout, what the ordinary people or small local businesses get? A finger up the bum.

And I have no trouble with my mortgage, any other loans or any other financial worries. I say this because I think it's the right thing to do. We are being fcuked up the "3rd eye" and we think this is the way it should be, just because "it's been like that for years".

Well, I don't agree with that and I have a constitutional right not to agree with it.

THEN DON'T TAKE OUT F*CKING LOANS THEN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Tell that to the Banks then, they got their money from loans from europe and now we the taxpayers have to fund the repayments.

THEN DON'T TAKE OUT F*CKING LOANS THEN.

Take it easy with the CAPS there son...

I dont take loans, but what about the ones who do, and force me to pay for it, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The law is actually more on your side than theirs OP - there is a SEVERELY low number of times they can contact you before you can register an official complaint against them for undue harassment. Court!? Ha, good luck with that - it's a civil matter and the courts are rammed with bigger fish to fry - idle threat.
    If debt collectors call you, simply tell them that if they call you again you will be taking an action for harrassment against them. The letters are useful for starting the fire in the evening and anybody physically turning up at your door, call the guards and tell them you feel physically intimidated by this person. The collector will run a mile. Offer BOI €50 to clear the debt in FULL. They will pi55 and whinge but will probably take it. Hard neck required here, but you need to turn the tables - don't shout, don't refuse to answer the phone, don't ignore the letters - just smile, offer a crappily small settlement figure - threaten action if they harass you and hard neck your offer till they accept.
    Most importantly for others that owe money, refuse to be intimidated, refuse to have your life made a misery and definitly DO NOT despair or worry yourself sick/into depression. There are men out there who owe millions haveing a steak and a pint tonight without a care in the world - follow their lead and live your life -it's only money.

Take it easy with the CAPS there son...

I dont take loans, but what about the ones who do, and force me to pay for it, huh?

Mistakingly directed at you, apologies sir

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Im sorry but you have both a legal and moral obligation to pay the money back or make a payment plan out with the bank.

You were able to apply for a credit card and use it alot,so you are liable to pay it back.

Now,If you cannot afford to pay it off in full,and you can prove that,then make a written offer to the solicitors acting on behalf of BOI and BOI themselves of 2 euro a month on the credit card bill.

Then you can show a judge in court (if it goes that far) that you tried to make an offer to BOI but they refused you.

Banks have to be seen to help you out when you make an offer.And banks cannot refuse an offer or whack on extra interest/penalties,if you can prove that you cannot afford to pay it all off in 1 go.

Go and get advice from Citizins Information or MABS if you are concerned about the matter,which youu seem to be.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Im sorry but you have both a legal and moral obligation to pay the money back or make a payment plan out with the bank.
    Now, this is what I like most.

OK, he does have "moral" obligation, doesn't he?

Now...

There is a bunch of guys (the same bunch I work for) who owe the money, and they have no moral right, moreover - if they feck up - they get money from hard working people of Ireland.

What point is this fair at now sir?

• Advertisement
Advertisement