Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The law regarding surveillance and possible other legal issues?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I am working with a university and my work now requires me changing to a temporary lab work the otherside of the country. Accomadation is provided for us as the university have some sort of deal with some landlord there.

When I saw the house I made the choice to find another one. The reasons being the landlord and his attitude to privacy. A number of undergraduates are also staying at the house (from my university) aswell and have expressed serious concern.

First of all there are cameras all over the house barring the tenants rooms (I hope). The next point is the universities understanding is that the house is not owner occupied which it is to the point that the landlord is there all the time. He claims that hes only temporarly there.

He walks into peoples rooms with the aim of cleaning the students rooms which they clean themselves.

One of the students complained about the cameras ect and has now been given two weeks notice and refused his deposit back. The landlord claims he will call a friend of his in the gaurds if he "causes trouble". Luckily the student recorded the conversation with his phone camera.

Whats the right course of action here. I will be reporting back to the departmen but before I leave here I going to have to try and sort some things out here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Whats the right course of action here.

Run a mile and dont look back...

Does this guy think he is operating the Big Brother house or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

djimi wrote: »
    Run a mile and dont look back...

Does this guy think he is operating the Big Brother house or something?

I get a very weird vibe off him. The other students are on the poverty line and I was in this position before myself so I know how they feel. It would look bad on my half if I didnt at least report this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not really sure who the best person to report them to would be tbh. When I was in college I lived in a real dive, living next door to the landlord and her borderline psychotic son, and when I moved out we reported her to the college who to I think took her off their list of rentals and took some measures to ensure that others were warned of her behaviour.

Advertisement