Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shenzhen

Options
  • 16-03-2012 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey anybody living in Shenzhen?

Heading over in a 6 weeks for a year for work any would be great to hear if anybody has any experiences of living there?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I've been in SZ for almost seven years now, drop me a line if you have any specific questions. It's very modern, lots of western consumer goods available, and right next to Hong Kong (and you WILL visit HK :)). It's also within striking distance of Macau.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Been in Shenzhen now 2 weeks, Your right very modern, clean and any western goods have been easy to find, (Although the local food here is great!) Waiting on my residence visa so I can visit HK but should have it next week,
    Where are you based? Living in Nanshan myself but bit far from work so thinking of moving around the coco park area

Sorry, my advice was a bit late, then...oh well...

I'm based in Nanshan meself, living near Qing Qing Si Jie, which is on the other side of Nanshan mountain from Seaworld. I don't head out for a pint much and rarely get as far as coco park (kids, etc), but for a single lad, it's the place to be I reckon. Try to stay away from Seaworld/Shui Wan if you can, far too many absolute lunatics walking around there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kronos11

Hi guys,

I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on now aficionado?

I might be heading to Shenzhen for a job on a year's contract. I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what the city is like for people in their early 20's?

I know there's a university there, so it can't be all industry and no fun?

Cheers,

- Kronos11

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Gettin on great, Got settled in pretty quickly, In my mid 20's myself and there is a good few my age and a few English teachers around the same too.

Night life aint too bad, Im living in the coco park area and there is a good few bars and clubs to check out and late nights,

Also if your on a multi entry visa then you can head to Hong Kong for the night, which is a different story altogether, Lots of fun. When were you thinking of coming out?

Pauldla, how are you getting on now? Have only been out to Seaworld once, Nice spot, plenty of night life there, Very western too.

• Advertisement

aficionado wrote: »
    Pauldla, how are you getting on now? Have only been out to Seaworld once, Nice spot, plenty of night life there, Very western too.

Not too bad, still struggling away. Wrapped up at the moment arranging visas for the family for a visit back home later this summer, as well as trying to get the kids into a better school. The amount of red tape is just frightening!

Ah, Seaworld is not what it could be: it could be a right little spot, but there is a lot of nastiness that goes on between the different bar owners and managers. It's a pity. BUT they is a decent butchers, next to the Irish bar (they do their catering too, I believe), and it can be a good place to meet all sorts of wild and wonderful expats on a night out: just don't believe everything you hear! (I've met countless 'former marines' etc)

Drop us a pm if you're going to be in the area, if I'm free I could be persuaded to a pint!

Advertisement