Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newegg

Options
  • 16-03-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

The parents are going to america for a while and i was going to order some parts for a gaming pc of newegg. what would be the best smallest items i could get to maximize savings? My budget for the whole pc would proabbly be around 1000-1200e. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

an SSD is tiny, and you whats €150 here is $150 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Ssd's, cpu's (without cooler), ram, maybe graphics cards would all be small enough to bring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Maybe we should start a "Going to the US" thread for bulk buying...

(The back of my mind is telling me there may be laws to be aware of there however)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Something that's unlikely to require an RMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

CPU's and graphics cards are very good buys if you are going to america as their prices work out at about half what you pay here. They are small so can be brought in hand luggage on the plane.

I've had my gtx480 since release from america with no problems at all. So, so much cheaper. Neweggs return policy is absolutely rubbish but you won't be returning an item anyway so it doesn't matter. Their prices are quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Thanks ill think ill order a i5 2500k a 7970 and maybe a ssd. Is there usually any problems bringing these things out of america?

DO NOT order a 7970!

NVIDIA's new line of cards are being released next week, and all indications are that the 680 will beat the 7970 by 20% and be roughly the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone know of good places in the states to get water cooling gear? I've got a month to save up money as a friend is coming home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Serephucus wrote: »
    DO NOT order a 7970!

NVIDIA's new line of cards are being released next week, and all indications are that the 680 will beat the 7970 by 20% and be roughly the same price.

Cheers they are not going until wednesday week so hopefully ill know by then

@Tea Bag: Petra's Tech shop, Sidewinders, FrozenCPU and Performance PCs. You can also look at the manufacturer sites directly: EK (though they're in Europe), Koolance, XSPC, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement