Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

iDann wrote: »
    App is great, channels are streamed great too!

Playback is not possible on jailbroken devices :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Evilbart wrote: »
    Playback is not possible on jailbroken devices :mad:

Also not available unless you're on a UPC connection!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Well these are exciting times for those of us who've been following the Horizon thread for quite some time now.
    I didn't get included in the trial but my friend (who actually owns this account and let's me use as he doesn't use boards much any more) got included on it. Just rang him and while he doesn't have the new box yet he can log on using his existing UPC logon info to Horizon.tv and view live TV etc... he's also downloaded the app to his iphone.
    Bit disappointed that I'm not included but as soon as he gets the box I'll be around to his and mess around with it and let you know my thoughts.
    Congrats to all those who got included will be very eager to hear your views.

EDIT: Update from our friends in the Netherlands using it... http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/04/15/upc-plans-major-horizon-update/

Is the new remote the QWERTY one??

Dunno... Don't think anyone has seen it yet.
    It defo needs work though. Not even an 'info' button on there. Pain in the ass to get show info / see how far your into a viewed show.

I have a Logitech Harmony remote, works like a charm, but obviously the info button doesn't work on that as there's no IR commands for it.

For anyone out there with the Harmony remote, set up your Horizon box as a 'Samsung' brand and 'Horizon' as the model number. Everything worked for me once i did that.

It defo needs work though. Not even an 'info' button on there. Pain in the ass to get show info / see how far your into a viewed show.

I have a Logitech Harmony remote, works like a charm, but obviously the info button doesn't work on that as there's no IR commands for it.

For anyone out there with the Harmony remote, set up your Horizon box as a 'Samsung' brand and 'Horizon' as the model number. Everything worked for me once i did that.

Ahh, We can hope anyway, the commands could be put in with a update maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    Try the channels above 800??

As I am not part of the trial team I can't check. I would exect the Horizon box to have the ability to record radio, something my Cisco stb is unable to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

It doesn't say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Has anyone who's been accepted received a call yet?

I just realised - I hope they don't call the UPC landline; that's been disconnected in a box somewhere for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

The app only lets you stream selected channels, BBC 1 works but BBC 2 doesn't. Anyone know why? I am signed in.

I'm amazed at the size of the Harmony device database, they even have some very obscure devices in there. Thanks for the info on the setup.

If there's no info button, I wonder how you do view the current program/progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

who_me wrote: »
    Has anyone who's been accepted received a call yet?

I just realised - I hope they don't call the UPC landline; that's been disconnected in a box somewhere for years!
    Login to My UPC and update your details there. Easy-peasy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭clint123

Did anybody that's accepted for the Trail get called today ?

Anybody an Idea's regarding the rewards ?

Little did I know that my OP / thread on this over a year ago would still be running with so much interest ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Have yous gotten the box yet??

Whats the story?

Waiting on a phone call myself.

Can't talk about it hahaha go way outta that, i'll be sticking up as many pics and talking about it as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Anybody on the trial at the moment, can I ask do you get all the channels? Or is it still restricted to your current plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Rafloution wrote: »
    Anybody on the trial at the moment, can I ask do you get all the channels? Or is it still restricted to your current plan?

Your current plan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Streaming fine for me, I was rejected for the set top box trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Got it working on IPad for the tv series, but not the live tv.

Working on Chrome for everything, had to install a pluggin.

Looks to be the same content as UPC on demand, which is something for the people who haven't got on Demand yet.

Login to My UPC and update your details there. Easy-peasy!

Cheers! I didn't even know it was there. As it happens, that already had my mobile number, so I think I'm ok. Thanks!

thefishone wrote: »
    Your current plan.

So is the reward free installation + activation?

So is the reward free installation + activation?

I would imagine the installation + activation is going to be free anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

steve_r wrote: »
    Got it working on IPad for the tv series, but not the live tv.

Working on Chrome for everything, had to install a pluggin.

Looks to be the same content as UPC on demand, which is something for the people who haven't got on Demand yet.

How can I get it on my iPhone also did not get the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Some posted a pic of an 'Access All Areas Ticket' earlier in this thread, so maybe it's free access to paid movies for the few months, which would make sense as they have to offer some sort of sweetener, though this hasn't been confirmed or denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yes, you don't need to be part of the trial to have access to the Horizon App which is now live & freely available in the App Store or to the online horizon.tv site which is also live. All you need is to have registered to My UPC to have access.

So in effect it is a different subject. Merged threads makes things more confusing for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Simon201 wrote: »
    True of course....

Well I seriously hope I'm wrong about being able to access it via someone else's wifi or whatever. Doesn't seem to work on the iphone via 3g though, which maybe understandable due the demands of streaming.
    Pretty sure, at the moment anyway, it is tied to your UPC Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has anyone whose been accepted on the trial heard from UPC yet? Got my email from them last week to say I was in but haven't heard anything since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Has anyone whose been accepted on the trial heard from UPC yet? Got my email from them last week to say I was in but haven't heard anything since.
    Same here. I'd completely forgotten about applying to the trial until I got the email, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Got email 4 days ago to say ..... in the coming weeks, wouldn't expect anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Actually called today to chance my arm at arranging a time for an engineer but they said there is a secific department and they will be calling me instead. Worth the try I suppose but looks like we have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 12 overthehill999

Horizon Credit - This customer is participating in the Horizon trial. As a thank you for taking part in the trail the customer will receive a special offer. The offer will be in the form of a credit of ¿90 (¿30 for 3 months) plus an additional ¿12 to cover the purchase of 2 On Demand movies during the trial. A credit of ¿102 has now been applied to the customer¿s account as a lump sum. The customer may therefore owe nothing or be in credit on their next bill. If the customer queries their bill please confirm that the offer for taking part in the trial has been applied as a once off lump sum which has resulted in the zero rated bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 tom_Ore

Got my box installed today, its hard to get used to but looks amazing! Was expecting a glorified version of the current graphics but looks like its completely revamped. I know where not supposed to share anything but ill give some teasers

The Box is samsung, its about the same size and similar looking to the standard UPC-HD box.
    The Remote is completely different to the normal upc remote, there is alot more emphasis on the navigation buttons.
    On screen is completely different, ill post one sneaky picture just so yous get the jist.
    3jsC1hMl.jpg

tom_Ore wrote: »
    Got my box installed today, its hard to get used to but looks amazing! Was expecting a glorified version of the current graphics but looks like its completely revamped. I know where not supposed to share anything but ill give some teasers

The Box is samsung, its about the same size and similar looking to the standard UPC-HD box.
    The Remote is completely different to the normal upc remote, there is alot more emphasis on the navigation buttons.
    On screen is completely different, ill post one sneaky picture just so yous get the jist.
    3jsC1hMl.jpg3jsC1hMl.jpg

That ui looks completely different to what I'm seeing!! Hmmm... Like mine looks like what you see when you google Upc horizon!

That ui looks completely different to what I'm seeing!! Hmmm...

Well this is what is coming up for me, BTW is your remote being really laggy... its taking a few seconds for mine to respond

Well this is what is coming up for me, BTW is your remote being really laggy... its taking a few seconds for mine to respond

I'm not using the remote from the box, I have a logitech harmony remote

I'm not using the remote from the box, I have a logitech harmony remote

Lucky you, at the moment its working slow. The apps seem quite promising, nothing special so far though

Lucky you, at the moment its working slow. The apps seem quite promising, nothing special so far though

I've done a lot of google and read all the manuals and can't find any shots of an interface like that!

What software version you running?
    (I just did an update check there and it says I'm up to date!)

• Advertisement

I've done a lot of google and read all the manuals and can't find any shots of an interface like that!

What software version you running?
    (I just did an update check there and it says I'm up to date!)

How do you check what software version?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Are you able to record radio programmes?

How do you check what software version?

In settings you'll find it.

Mearings wrote: »
    Are you able to record radio programmes?

1) not sure why you would want to on a TV box but 2) I'll check later and let you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Not sure why you would want to on a TV box

BBC and foreign radio, as opposed to Irish tripe. That's why! ☺

Back to the thread. Loving the posts all, keep them up.

• Advertisement

BBC and foreign radio, as opposed to Irish tripe. That's why! ☺

Back to the thread. Loving the posts all, keep them up.

Fair enough! :-D
    I'll have a look later / tomorrow and report back to ya (in the middle of watching a movie with the Mrs at the mo!)

In settings you'll find it.

V2.1.0.929

V2.1.0.929

Interesting!!

I'll dm you some photos to see if we're both talking about the same box!

They may have different software versions on seeing as this is a "trial" as such. Perhaps trying to see which works best........
    I do believe they are due or have already released an update to the software on the box in Holland soon, perhaps one of you is running this already?

kippy wrote: »
    They may have different software versions on seeing as this is a "trial" as such. Perhaps trying to see which works best........
    I do believe they are due or have already released an update to the software on the box in Holland soon, perhaps one of you is running this already?

Here's hoping! Though I'd question having people give feedback / bug test on outdated software!

Here's hoping! Though I'd question having people give feedback / bug test on outdated software!
    Perhaps neither are outdated? Perhaps they are both "Beta" software and the one that gets the best feedback is what they will do with.......
    (Just wildly speculating tbh)

3jsC1hMl.jpg

How long did they take to install everything someone posted earlier it takes 2 hours seemed a bit long

How long did they take to install everything someone posted earlier it takes 2 hours seemed a bit long

They'd be that long in my place just moving stuff out of the way and avoiding the existing equipment in the corner!!

A bit less than an hour, and I was getting broadband+phone aswell

I self installed... unplugged the old one, and plugged in the new one.
    I kept my old Thompson modem so just a network cable from the Horizon box to my network and it sees the content.
    Took about 30 mins for the box to activate and all the channels to become available.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement