Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I self installed... unplugged the old one, and plugged in the new one.
    I kept my old Thompson modem so just a network cable from the Horizon box to my network and it sees the content.
    Took about 30 mins for the box to activate and all the channels to become available.

So self-install is an option for the new box? Did a courier deliver it and how did you return the old box - they came back later the same day or you dropped it to the courier's local depot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

I self installed... unplugged the old one, and plugged in the new one.
    I kept my old Thompson modem so just a network cable from the Horizon box to my network and it sees the content.
    Took about 30 mins for the box to activate and all the channels to become available.

So with the trial they give you the option of a self-install?
    That would be great as I won't have time to meet/wait for installers.

One last question did you get the email last Friday to say you we're accepted
    then a phone call yesterday/today?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

In this case, because I was so advanced in the trial, I had to organise things with UPC, but i believe you have to give the courier the current box when they deliver the new one. There's an envelop (with relevant tracking sticker) in the box they deliver, so just open it when they get there, and pop in the existing box (but not your smart card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

I'm not using the remote from the box, I have a logitech harmony remote

Do they have a setup for it in the software and what is it called? I found a UPC Horizon DVR but it has very few buttons mapped (haven't got my box yet as only got the email a few days ago but was just checking to see if it's there as hoping I can continue to use my Harmony).

dam099 wrote: »
    Do they have a setup for it in the software and what is it called? I found a UPC Horizon DVR but it has very few buttons mapped (haven't got my box yet as only got the email a few days ago but was just checking to see if it's there as hoping I can continue to use my Harmony).

I noted a few pages back... you need to set it up as brand 'Samsung' and device 'Horizon'. All the buttons on the existing remote are there.

Remember, there's no 'Info' button the existing remote, so that function won't be on the Harmony.
    I found mine works well and hoping when they release the new remote (UPC that is), that the Harmony software will update pretty quickly after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Just comparing the "Live" offerings of the hardware horizon box Vs the web only version.

I noticed on sky "on demand" the offerings are far less than via a box. The same seems true for UPC.

Via a PC or tablet without having the horizon hardware box you cannot access:

Sky 1
    Sky 2
    Channel 4
    E4
    Dave
    UK Gold
    Fox TV
    Universal TV
    Sky Living
    Comedy Central
    SyFy
    Pick TV
    Sky Arts
    Alibi
    Gold
    Discovery Travel and Living
    National Geographic
    National Geo Wild
    Crime and Investigation Network
    Bloomberg TV
    All Sky Movie Channels
    Film 4
    TCM
    True Movies
    Setanta
    All Sky Sports
    ESPN
    Sky Sports News
    Racing UK
    At the Races
    E!
    Fashion TV
    Discovery Home
    Nickelodeon
    MTV (all)
    VH1
    Euronews
    All Adult Channels
    Pay per view Channel

They say "up to" 45 channels depending on your package, so presumably no matter how much you pay you still would not get access to the above channels on a laptop etc unless you install the hardware box and access them directly locally.

Many of the above channels are quite normal, often used, which would be missed, often included in basic packs and even on analogue cable (which only carries 17 channels)

To be fair Sky's version also has similar limitations, and their hardware box does not give the option to stream direct from the box, like the horizon box does.

Of course the offerings could change, but it may be that Sky is playing hard ball and not offering some channels no matter what price.

Looking at the movies currently offered
    110 total movies, with many very old classics and 23 of which are from "true movies", so probably only 40 movies less than 10 years old.

As with any offering content it king. Not having common channels and shows and movies actually worth renting/watching may still make alternatives practical.

tom_Ore wrote: »
    V2.1.0.929

Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1JVZYYg0lQ

That is pretty much how my menu system looks. My 'Now' and 'Next' are side by side and I can't see the 'Next' show until i press right.
    Looking at your pic, you can see the next show underneath what's playing now, right?

I just went into Settings and Horizon TV HD+ Box and in there Software. Checking for updates says it's up to date.

So, this page (in dutch) is saying that UPC over there has said it will be June before the next software update.
    So just wondering then what software 'tom_ore' has?! Hummmm...

http://digimind.nl/2013/04/upc-belooft-beterschap-met-de-horizon/

Will the new set top box work with my existing configuration of having the EPC3925 in bridge mode and everything connected to my netgear router (which allows open NAT for my 3 XBOXes)?
    Have been accepted on the trial but waiting to hear from UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

This was asked a few pages back, If you look at the help on the swiss site it gives the info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84155924&postcount=433

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I have to ask it. I have a HD box and a standard box. I've now gone off and stuck the standard (older box) in the upstairs room, and connected it to a TV. The reason that I did this was so that I can keep the Horizon downstairs.

Then I read that an installer will come and take the old box back. Is there anyway that we can keep the old one? Or, do I need to start fibbing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I have to ask it. I have a HD box and a standard box. I've now gone off and stuck the standard (older box) in the upstairs room, and connected it to a TV. The reason that I did this was so that I can keep the Horizon downstairs.

Then I read that an installer will come and take the old box back. Is there anyway that we can keep the old one? Or, do I need to start fibbing? :)
    UPC own the box, so you can't really keep it, plus if you say you don't have it anymore they will deactivate the subscription card in it, meaning it will no longer work!

Feckers! I couldn't get away with saying that I had already sent it back?

Nope they will deactivate the card, rendering it useless, you might as well send it back to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Not happy i missed out on the trial sign up. When are they expecting the service to properly roll out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Not happy i missed out on the trial sign up. When are they expecting the service to properly roll out?

They haven't announced any timeframe yet but i've heard a couple of people mention June, all speculation though. There is a major software upgrade going into the horizon box in holland in June/July so i reckon they would probably wait until after that before releasing here. no point releasing a new product with bugs that will be fixed in a month and pis*ing people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Anyone on the trial should hold on to their old box, at least until the trail period ends.
    The Horizon box can be used as an access point or can connect your existing wifi.
    If used as your main access point your upc phone has to be connected to it for them to
    work.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

thefishone wrote: »
    Anyone on the trial should hold on to their old box, at least until the trail period ends.
    The Horizon box can be used as an access point or can connect your existing wifi.
    If used as your main access point your upc phone has to be connected to it for them to
    work.

yeah, hopefully they will allow us to hold onto my old HD box as could put in spare room :)

ciaran75 wrote: »
    yeah, hopefully they will allow us to hold onto my old HD box as could put in spare room :)

But it won't work as you need the card from it for the Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

But it won't work as you need the card from it for the Horizon box.
    No, you will receive a Horizonbox WITH a new smartcard in it.
    Your old box will stay working until the end of the trialperiod and you (as customer) decides what to keep.

• Advertisement

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    No, you will receive a Horizonbox WITH a new smartcard in it.
    Your old box will stay working until the end of the trialperiod and you (as customer) decides what to keep.

Well... that's not what happened when I got mine! I got the Horizon box with NO smartcard. I took the one out of my HD box and popped it into the Horizon unit and it just worked.
    So there was no card for the HD box to continue working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Horizon box doesnt use a smartcard like the old boxes, if you've put one into the back of your horizon box take it out as its doing nothing.

Horizon box doesnt use a smartcard like the old boxes, if you've put one into the back of your horizon box take it out as its doing nothing.

Where did you see that? I set mine up initially without it and it wouldn't work!

You can pre-register for the Horizon box here though I'm aware from reading other posts that some people who signed up on the basis of the Facebook offer have been declined.

I'd say if you didn't make it on to the next trial, it would be no harm to pre-register here anyway....

http://www.upc.ie/horizonoffer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Where did you see that? I set mine up initially without it and it wouldn't work!

It's mentioned in the manual, couple pages in where it lists all the elements at the back. Says card slot not currently in use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

coylemj wrote: »
    You can pre-register for the Horizon box here though I'm aware from reading other posts that some people who signed up on the basis of the Facebook offer have been declined.

I'd say if you didn't make it on to the next trial, it would be no harm to pre-register here anyway....

Blank page for me.

Working fine, I can see it now.

The link normally has some characters after it that links your account number, but it makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Blank page for me.
    It was blank for me too until I remembered to allow on NoScript, maybe you have something blocking it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

I got an email from them this morning, with 3 summer treats,

1. INTRODUCING THE WONDERS OF
    UPC HORIZON TV APP & HORIZON TV ONLINE

2. This Summer we are upgrading all our customers to 50Mb or more as standard where possible.

3. INTRODUCING THE AMAZING
    HORIZON TV HD+ BOX WITH FREE INSTALLATION

with the option to pre-register for horizon tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭coldcake

I've been selected for the trial, but I'm not too sure that I'll sign up.

I really don't turn on the box I have now as I tend to watch most TV online and now with the horizon app I forecast that I will be turning it on less.

Also after the trail will I get to keep the box and then will it cost more than the 2.50 that's the cost during the trial period.

I'm trying to cut costs and this seems by the end of the trial I'll end up paying more. I don't have HD, which would be nice and I wonder if this is going to become standard or will I end up paying for this too.

I can't see the benefit of the new box for someone with my viewing habits, I wish I could find 4 things that I wanted to record at once.

I feel people with sports and movie packs would get more out of this than me. Can I seek opinions please?

Cheers

Coldcake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Its all beginning to look like a big promotional run than an actual beta test... I've never had to pay extra for any beta test I was doing before.. The only thing being beta tested here is the customers..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

When they call just say your not interested Simples!!!
    coldcake wrote: »
    I've been selected for the trial, but I'm not too sure that I'll sign up.

I really don't turn on the box I have now as I tend to watch most TV online and now with the horizon app I forecast that I will be turning it on less.

Also after the trail will I get to keep the box and then will it cost more than the 2.50 that's the cost during the trial period.

I'm trying to cut costs and this seems by the end of the trial I'll end up paying more. I don't have HD, which would be nice and I wonder if this is going to become standard or will I end up paying for this too.

I can't see the benefit of the new box for someone with my viewing habits, I wish I could find 4 things that I wanted to record at once.

I feel people with sports and movie packs would get more out of this than me. Can I seek opinions please?

Cheers

Coldcake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

coldcake wrote: »

I'm trying to cut costs and this seems by the end of the trial I'll end up paying more.
    If the reward is a €102 credit to your account, allowing for the extra €2.50 for three months you'd be €94.50 up (less whatever increase from June on). Why not do the trial, cancel without penalty, go back to what you had to begin with & use the €94.50 you'll be saving to pay another bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Looks like I'm being charged for my Horizon already in another way!

upcc.png
    upccc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

PeteK* wrote: »
    Looks like I'm being charged for my Horizon already in another way!

If you are out of contract ring customer loyalty and threaten to cancel they won't be long changing their tune, do you mind me asking what your bill is at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

12.50 increase? Yikes. Are you a broadband customer as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

just got the email for the trial

I got one too today, not sure why, as I got the same email a few days ago :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

I rang UPC sales to ask for an upgrade in my broadband but I'd have to pay extra.

I got an email last week saying I'd been accepted for the Horizon trial and the sales person today thought the trial was over???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

flanna wrote: »
    just got the email for the trial

Me too, yippee!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

And me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Me too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

RQ2013 wrote: »
    Me too..

Another here today too. Interesting to see how long it takes to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

breeno wrote: »
    Another here today too. Interesting to see how long it takes to get it.

Got the email also. Hopefully it'll be quicker than Eurosport2 HD and C4 HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

dont hold your breath..got my email on the 10th of april..no phone call yet..

• Advertisement

I rang UPC sales to ask for an upgrade in my broadband but I'd have to pay extra.

I got an email last week saying I'd been accepted for the Horizon trial and the sales person today thought the trial was over???

The sales person was afraid that you'd kick to touch and wait for the trial, telling you it was over was a way of getting rid of that obstacle in the hope that you'd then go ahead and sign up for the BB upgrade.

The trial is not over, there are people posting here who are on phase I and lots more (including me) who have been informed that they will be on phase II and who will get a phone call in the next few weeks.

Sales people are trained to deal with obstacles and objections, the more successful ones are given to telling lies to get around them. Treat everything they tell you with a large dose of scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

They were fairly quick getting back to me. Got the email wed, got a phone call yesterday and they're installing it Monday. Sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Clever way to get people to upgrade. Tell them it's a free trial, give them 3 months with shiny stuff, charge them and then bank on them not downgrading.

They were fairly quick getting back to me. Got the email wed, got a phone call yesterday and they're installing it Monday. Sweet!

Did they mention an option of self-install?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Did they mention an option of self-install?

No, it was an automated call that rang me just to confirm the installation. Nothing about self install in the email either..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement